• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Grave of the Fireflies Director Isao Takahata Also Chimes in on Constitution Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
If Hellsoldier's sitings of various political faction in Japan are depected correctly. Then Shinzo Abe's part is big threat to Japan itself.

I'm no warhawk by any stretch of imagination and don't view war as good thing. Being aggressive to other people is a bad thing.

That be said, China is being a lot more aggressive. Japan hands are tied, it's people will eventually have to face something bad eventually if it keeps up. The US is not strong enough keep China from taking over Japan if they want to.

Japan's modified constitution is only allowing Japan to help not directly participate in war. Removing floating minefields in the Persian Gulf.

Isao Takahata grew up in post-war Japan, rebuilding from terrible regime that wanted rule the Pacific Rim. I completely respect his views on constitution changes, but from i've seen of it is it not spark to build up arm forces for world conquest. It's preventative and support it's allies. Fortress Japan isn't going be forever.
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
It's worth noting that Takahata-san was born in 1935 and to read his experiences of the firebombing of where he lived:

http://mainichi.jp/english/english/features/news/20150617p2a00m0na010000c.html
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Isao Takahata grew up in post-war Japan, rebuilding from terrible regime that wanted rule the Pacific Rim. I completely respect his views on constitution changes, but from i've seen of it is it not spark to build up arm forces for world conquest. It's preventative and support it's allies. Fortress Japan isn't going be forever.

The problem is that while it may be "preventative" now, that may not still be the case once the changes have been made. What you're really doing is removing a barrier. Once that barrier is removed, then people's perceptions will begin to change. I think that this is what people like Takahata are afraid of, and I think he's right to have that fear.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
China feels like the country equivalent of that guy who does something against the rules, then when you tell him to cut it out, he leaves, only to come back while your back is turned to finish doing that thing before you return. People like them drive me nuts, and I would really want China to stop just nibbling up islands and such from every country around it. Also, Chinese maritime poaching is one of the most atrocious ecological disasters right now, and it is already a matter of life and death asthe Chinese have brought their military might into it.

I have no idea how all this can be resolved except outright war though. And the JSDF cannot handle this on its own. (All the countries around China, if they allied together and agree to leave all the islands alone could though, especially, since there are a few United States owned islands near this area.)
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I can't really comment about Japan's politics specifically, but as a general rule of thumb, this extreme pacifism that this guy and Miyazaki push is a very dangerous ideology.
twilightmidna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
MysticLeviathan wrote:
I can't really comment about Japan's politics specifically, but as a general rule of thumb, this extreme pacifism that this guy and Miyazaki push is a very dangerous ideology.
why is it dangerous? A world without war would be a wonderful place. Full disclosure: i am a pacifist.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
So am I, and I would love for there to be world peace and everyone understanding each other's differences without taking offense. However, one country having a pacifist stance while a powerful neighboring country is aggressively and hostilely claiming territory is a recipe for tragedy.

Peace, and the pursuit thereof, is a very noble thing, but it can't be done without total agreement.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Going on and on about how having a military is a bad thing isn't going to prevent war - there's a reason for the saying "si vis pacem, para bellum"; simply put, the best way to keep one from breaking out is to make it as expensive as possible if it does. One such way is to keep a powerful military; the other is to establish strong and deep trade relations(as witnessed by saying "if goods don't cross borders, soldiers will").

However, the economic angle only goes so far: it's quite easy to underestimate the cost of warring against your trading partners(eg, the world was more economically integrated at the start of World War I than it would be afterwards until the late seventies). A strong military serves as an impossible to ignore part cost of invasion.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me not understanding the whole matter fully, anyway I think some people are confusing things here; Japan does have a military force, but it's only used for self-defence in its own territory (if it was needed--it also helps during natural disasters).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2