• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kickstarter Launched to Give Barefoot Gen Manga to Schools, Libraries

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Already have the regular volumes ... i had to get volume 1 second hand and that even came from Japan for some reason lol
Not sure what i need to do with this probably end up doing nothing because of having it already ... but i wish them luck with it Smile
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
This is a nice campaign so gave a little something.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm lucky to have my entire series! Had a friend on here help me get a couple of volumes from the UK.

But I went ahead and chipped in for the "I Saw It" short, which I must admit that I do not own. And Barefoot Gen is a very good manga, at least based on the first two volumes because omfg, I've never read past v2 (it has to get less depressing at some point, right? Someone who has read it all, please tell me) and I would love to see libraries and classrooms use the books. So I hope they make it!

@maidenoftheredhand
I'm so glad we picked different Yang Wen-Li images. He is awesome, but this makes things much less confusing around here. And hopefully we're both telling people to pick up LoGH when it comes out (omfg, so excited!)
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Nice idea. Would cost $100 or so for the whole Gen set inc. shipping, though, which is a bit much for me.

classicalzawa wrote:
it has to get less depressing at some point, right? Someone who has read it all, please tell me

Based on the films, not really. Unless you consider putting a brave face on it getting better.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
^Do you mean from the Kickstarter? Because they're only doing the first 4 volumes (probably the most important part when it comes to the atomic bomb and the fallout from that), but there's ten volumes total. Last Gap has published it before entirely in softcover form though. Some of them are more out of print than others.
Of course, doing them in hardcover would cost more, but for books and library purposes, hardcovers would definitely hold up to better usage.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
to this day I still remember them showing the movie version in my history class.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I also just went for the i saw it book gives me a reason to support it and not be out of much money.
Although it's still uncertain if it will actually make it's just 3,000 right now and this thing has been in print in english forever so there may not be much support for it after all but there's still long time left.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
(it has to get less depressing at some point, right? Someone who has read it all, please tell me)

As someone who finally finished reading the whole thing earlier this year: it both does and doesn't get more depressing. I can't say how or why without getting into a whooole lot of spoilers.

Chipped in for the $5 level as well, and added a little extra on top of that. This sounds like a very worthwhile Kickstarter and I hope they meet their goal.
sayashiba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
I've chipped in $80 seen the movies, but never seen the manga hope they reach their goal.. 12 more days to go now.
lem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll definitely be managing my pledge as this draws to a close. Until then, as of this post:
491 Backers
$27,563 of the $36,000 goal
49 hours to go

Barefoot Gen for Schools and Libraries
lem

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
It's almost finished, Hope it's okay for me to bump this thread?

This has really moved right along. All it takes is one dollar to be a backer. One dollar that will help Last Gasp print 4000 copies of new hardcover editions that they can send to schools and libraries.

As of this post:

584 backers

$32,385 of $36,000

21 hours to go

Barefoot Gen for Schools and Libraries
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1