• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Crime Scene, Part Fun

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
I hope grilling all of the jury doesn't get tedious.

I actually preferred the system of law in the modern Gyakuten Saiban games because it was more of a direct spar with the other attorney and trying to showcase the truth to the judge.

Also curious as to exactly how they'll localize this even if they do. Though I wish they'd keep the setting Japanese and with Japanese names if at all possible.

And as for the costumes for the young girls in LANGRISSER RE: INCARNATION, I think they come across as more cutesy than erotic anyway. The older games had the same age of characters, just that the art made them look more mature than they are supposed to be. The art this time around makes them look more their age.
poisondusk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I've been really enjoying the new Ace Attorney, but you definitely can't play it without a high level of Japanese, so I'm really hoping it gets localised for all the fans of the western releases. Even if I have no idea how they could actually localise it using the same approach as previous games. Given that most of it takes place in England, they might be able to get away with keeping the Japanese origins of the protagonists.

As for the jury cross-examinations, (no story spoilers, just gameplay details) spoiler[I'm into the fourth episode now, and they're a pretty small part of the game. I thought the jury added some nice extra tension to the trials. In reality their opinions shifting one way or the other is probably very linear and scripted, but it doesn't really feel like that as you play. The back-and-forth between the defence and prosecution is still the core of the trial sections.]
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

I'm not saying every FF has to have a diverse team full of humans and nonhumans, just that XII squandered a big chance to implement such a setup given Ivalice's numerous races and vast lore. Some of the games have had nonhuman allies (Red XIII, Kimahri, Mog, Umaro, Freya), which added some spice to an otherwise typically human cast, and that was acceptable to me because it showed a little diversity.

The Tactics and Tactics Advance games give you chances to build some pretty vast teams consisting of both humans and monsters (in the former), while obviously hinting at you to utilize every available race in the latter + its sequel for 100% quest completion. I try not to consider XI or XIV in this complaint because they're MMOs, and multiple race options are the standard for that genre.

The thing about using multiple races in RPGs is that it not only makes the cast more diverse, but it gives the player a chance to hear about what a member of each race would think or understand based on the situations they encounter in the story. It definitely adds punch, whereas seeing everything only from a human perspective is as predictable as it gets.

That definitely is another wasted opportunity that most likely got axed due to the SE's meddlesome executives. The thing about all the races is how different they are with Viera being essentially Elves in bunny girl form and are in tune with magic and nature, Moogles being more mechanically inclined and specializing in dexterous classes, Bangaa and Seeq being warrior races, and Nu Mou having a more philosophical perspective. Those kinds of culture clash could have made for an interesting layer on top of the narrative as well as adding variety to the playable cast as you'd be encouraged to be diverse in order to succeed at the game.

But instead what happened is all that fascinating lore and potential is shoved aside for a generic snorefest of a plot with an uninteresting battle system to go on top of it. Instead of getting a complex tale with a rich world we're forced to deal with idiots espousing political theories that are WAY beyond their depth; it sounds like an eighteen year old trying to masquerade as an expert on global politics after one semester of POL 101. Idiots trying to act smart is always disastrous. There's an interesting story to be told somewhere in there, but it isn't the one on display.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
That definitely is another wasted opportunity that most likely got axed due to the SE's meddlesome executives. The thing about all the races is how different they are with Viera being essentially Elves in bunny girl form and are in tune with magic and nature, Moogles being more mechanically inclined and specializing in dexterous classes, Bangaa and Seeq being warrior races, and Nu Mou having a more philosophical perspective. Those kinds of culture clash could have made for an interesting layer on top of the narrative as well as adding variety to the playable cast as you'd be encouraged to be diverse in order to succeed at the game.

But instead what happened is all that fascinating lore and potential is shoved aside for a generic snorefest of a plot with an uninteresting battle system to go on top of it. Instead of getting a complex tale with a rich world we're forced to deal with idiots espousing political theories that are WAY beyond their depth; it sounds like an eighteen year old trying to masquerade as an expert on global politics after one semester of POL 101. Idiots trying to act smart is always disastrous. There's an interesting story to be told somewhere in there, but it isn't the one on display.

You totally understand what I'm getting at Aiddon. Thank you. I bet the only reason they even had Fran in the party at all is so Japan could ogle some bunny girl butt. They honestly didn't care for the fact she was the only nonhuman in a rather dull team of so-called human protagonists. They likely just slotted her in simply because it was an excuse to have an animal-eared female on the team. Because even Final Fantasy XII has to have its fan service. Rolling Eyes

I lost interest in the plot well into a few hours in the game. I couldn't even be bothered to remember what our team was doing next in the story (and coupled with the hideous battle system, I gave up playing the game years ago and never went back to it since). Sometimes I stopped to wonder how that little crew got put together at all. I mean, what were Vaan and Penelo even doing tagging along with the group? (I know a lot of folks have explained many times that Vaan simply became an observer and wasn't there to steal the spotlight from Ashe like some typical teenage heroes tend to do in parties of older or more mature characters, but it still doesn't work.) It seemed like once Penelo was saved from Ba'Gamnan, there was little reason for those two to even be involved any further. Heck, Migelo was far more interesting in comparison, being a Bangaa who takes in and looks after war orphans; I was more interested in learning about him than about Vaan's paper-thin conviction.

I mean, god, if I'd known ahead of time how bad FFXII was going to be, I wouldn't have wasted money on the Collector's Edition back when the game first came out (it's the only CE I regret buying to this day). I wish I could get that money and the time I wasted back. FFXII was an ill-fated attempt to expand on the impressive world of Ivalice we learned about in FFT; it was just a complete and utter train wreck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2