• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Split: Natsuyo Otani (#38617)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soaker87

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I really apologize if I'm doing this wrong. I've been trying to input credits, and I was looking for the In-Between animator from Wish (小谷奈津代). This person's credits seem to be on a page for the colorist from Studio Road (大谷 夏代) and I doubt they're the same person.

Page is here: person#38617
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
One issue here is that neither of them might be "Natsuyo Otani".

If the person linked from here (with the same kanji) is the same person, then her family name might be "Kotani". It also appears, on a quick inspection of names on Japanese Wikipedia, to be a much more common reading for 小谷.

The colorist's family name is most likely Ōtani, but her given name is ambiguous and might be Kayo instead. The IGPX microseries probably doesn't have kanji credits, but she works for the same company (Studio Road) and so that's very likely the same person.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
There's a number of titles were I can readily access English credits, for the Shiage guy at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
soaker87

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the replies. I would have guessed Kotani first also, but I found this person here. I was adding credits for Battle Spirits, and regretfully that has yet to be licensed, so I only have R2 DVDs to work with for that. I don't believe I have anything else the Wish animator did on DVD.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
I was wiped out last night but have a day off tomorrow so can hopefully dig some reference material out. Remembered I once took a screenshot of the Liminality credits for something here and ironically it includes the colour setting credit which is what they did for SIGN...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Liminality: Natsuyo Otani
Tsubasa: Kayo Ohtani
GitS-SSS: Kayo Otani
Moribito: Kayo Ohtani

.hack//SIGN doesn't have translated credits surprisingly, at least not in the Beez version.
Madlax: ADV couldn't be bothered translating full episodic credits and needed the space for all their own people anyway.
FMA: Ditto for FUNimation.
Eva2.22: "let's space the credits out as much as possible so we don't have to bother including most of them".
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
El Cazador (episode 4): Kayo Ootani (Studio LORD)

Another "Kayo", but they read the name of the studio differently.

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: Credits on Hulu don't have any key animator or inbetweeners. Might be the same as the home video release (as non-simulcast streams tend to be), but someone who has it would have to check.

There's also Katanagatari and House of Five Leaves that the in-between animator could be listed, though I also don't have those releases. My experience with NISA releases varies. I think they tend to use the Japanese credits and have a very limited list of the major staff at the end of the disc. Hanasaku Iroha and A Lull in the Sea had hard-translated (and I believe thorough) credits in the opening and ending, so maybe they have done that on other titles, though.

It looks like the evidence favors Kayo for the colorist. The only exception is an earlier credit, and she's Kayo in instances where the English credits are the original credits (assuming Gotham Knight is like IGPX in that regard). In the interest of doing something here, if there are no objections, I will at least split off the colorist and merge to Kayo.
soaker87

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
Thanks, then. The colorist probably is Kayo, going by that much evidence.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
I have no objections if you want to do that split.

Odd how the colorist disappeared the same time the animator appeared; there's no overlap I can see (other than Gintama, but that's because it is an long running series; the source indicates episode numbers in the triple figures from 2009).

They sometimes have second-hand Beez copies of Five Leaves in CEX stores, but I very much doubt those would have complete credits, if the credits are translated at all (I can't remember what they did for Sora no Woto and Durarara from that era).
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I found my .hack//SIGN DVDs, and while they do have translated credits at the end of each disc, it seems to be overall series credits, plus cast for that disc, not for each episode.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The animator for Wish is now here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1