• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKids to Release Ghibli's Only Yesterday in Theaters in N. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
veemonjosh wrote:
GATSU wrote:
unit: It's because of the Oscar nomination for Kaguya. It made Only Yesterday a viable sell here.

veemon:
Quote:
Might as well push out the last bits of Studio Ghibli's filmography that never saw a US release now

Again, that's not why they're doing this for Only Yesterday. See above.
So if you're hoping for Ocean Waves, then cross your fingers that Only Yesterday does reasonably well on home video.

Could've just quoted my post and then explained it rather than say "Again", as if I should've seen your post that was made hours after mine before I posted.

But no, I still think this would've happened even if Kaguya hadn't been nominated. It's the only theatrical Ghibli film still unreleased in the US, there's no Ghibli films in production for the next several years, might as well cash in one more time.

Yeah, and I highly doubt that he's really familiar with the inner workings and motivations of GKIDS. Just another case of commenters trying to fill some big pants to come off as more intellectual than the rest I think.

But yeah, I'm glad this is happening. Really glad! GKIDS just keeps making me respect them even more with each release. I really love how they're releasing all of the Ghibli films that Disney are too afraid to (so basically anything that isn't directed by Hayao Miyazaki). And I'm of course no expert or anything, but it seems like much more of a gamble for them than a big, multi-billion dollar conglomerate like Disney to release these types of films (including all of their other non-Ghibli releases). So being such a small distributor at their heart makes me really appreciate what they do, and they seem like genuine animation fans like I assume most of us are.

And also, hooray!!! I'm back yet again from temporary banishment! Not that anyone cares or likely remembers, haha. I'd better be a good boy from now on if I want to keep this profile which I've been considering deleting anyway. (I just don't like my username anymore and ANN won't even let me change it !
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3