• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pripara Ending Edited After BPO Complaints

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Great... now Japan's doing it too. Thanks, Obama! (jk)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
It is amazing how such people watch late night anime for the sole purpose of morality censoring. Or how they lie about who the intended viewing audience is.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Isn't PriPara a kids show though? That's not a late night programming. But I did LOL at the edit.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
I watched the video waiting for this lurid pedo-pandering loli swimsuit sequence to happen, and...it never did. That was completely G-rated in both versions. What the heck?

Quote:
Chibi Maruko-chan lottery ticket ads

HELP! POLICE! MURDER! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is amazing how such people watch late night anime for the sole purpose of morality censoring. Or how they lie about who the intended viewing audience is.

Pripara airs at 10AM on a Saturday in a block with such adult anime like Future Card Buddyfight, Gon and Jewelpet. Rolling Eyes
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
In before, during & after moral outrage about cartoons being too real/not real enough for kids.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Pripara airs at 10AM on a Saturday in a block with such adult anime like Future Card Buddyfight, Gon and Jewelpet. Rolling Eyes

If you actually watch Jewelpet, man... so much lewd subtext in that show sometimes for the adults watching that'll go way over kids heads...
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I really wonder when excessive skin = sex and inappropriateness. From what I have read from an journal article, the Japanese idea of sexuality is slightly different from the Western ideals.

In the West, the genitals, crotch/breasts are viewed as inherently sexual and are therefore banned from being shown on TV. In Japan however, there isn't such a thing as the genitals and breasts can serve other functions, for instance, breasts are for nourishing children. Only if they are used in a sexual context are they then deemed sexual. Otherwise, there really is no sexual connotation to them otherwise.

The evidence includes the poorly-drawn penises in gag manga when male characters are stripped down, the oppai ga ippai song and the bathing scene in Totoro.

By their logic, that scene should be erased (for promoting pedophilia and incest?), but of course they won't dare to touch a masterpiece by Miyazaki.

Last edited by Actar on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Jewelpet is packed full with fanservice. Sure, not as much as Jewelpet Sunshin had, but still, enough. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
This PC nonsense is getting annoying really fast.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It is amusing because you have girls in two piece bikinis in model poses, but the moment a fictional animated girl admires herself in a mirror apparently it has gone TOO far.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
What exactly is it that broadcasting ethics organisations actually do? Do they produce weekly radio lectures about the Critique of Practical Reason, perhaps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buzz201

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
I really wonder when excessive skin = sex and inappropriateness. From what I have read from an journal article, the Japanese idea of sexuality is slightly different from the Western ideals.

In the West, the genitals, crotch/breasts are viewed as inherently sexual and are therefore banned from being shown on TV. In Japan however, there isn't such a thing as the genitals and breasts can serve other functions, for instance, breasts are for nourishing children. Only if they are used in a sexual context are they then deemed sexual. Otherwise, there really is no sexual connotation to them otherwise.

I wouldn't group the West together like that, American commercial TV is much less liberal, when it comes to sex and language, than other countries, partly because advertisers fear backlash over funding such content. Whereas, there's no such fear in other countries, so you can get away with a lot more.

Nudity is certainly not banned on British TV, but I think you'd have probably have to schedule it appropriately. We do however take a dim view of sexual content involving or appealing to people below the age of 16, and it will be forcibly cut from UK DVD releases.
wastrel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A still shot of Sophie Hojo in a black negligee was replaced with her on a boat in fishing gear

Yet another nice boat.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
wastrel wrote:

Yet another nice boat.

Lol, suddenly my mind thought of a scenario with the same girls... in a very "school days" type of shot that would make the negligee seem "quant".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4