• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pripara Ending Edited After BPO Complaints

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't aware that shot of Sophie was a reference to a a real photograph. It's perhaps not the visual reference I would have chosen, but I think it's pretty lame that it was changed just because people complained about it.

"Happy Birthday Mister Meganii" when?
Calico

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Anime for young girls is edited, grown men complain: more at 11.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I missed the word "Edited" in the title and thought it read "Pripara Ending After BPO Complaints." And I thought to myself, "Don't give in to these people so easily!"

I...still think that they shouldn't give in so easily, but now I see it's not the sort of thing that would make the watchdogs feel empowered.

samuelp wrote:
If you actually watch Jewelpet, man... so much lewd subtext in that show sometimes for the adults watching that'll go way over kids heads...

That makes me think of that Littlest Pet Shop episode about the girls in the school preferring the thick, firm water bottles over the floppy, flaccid ones. It made up the bulk of an entire episode's A-story.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
She's still wearing her clothes off the shoulder, take a look
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Bah…outside of maybe the shot of the one girl bent forward (sure, wearing a one-piece, but that is usually a cleavage shot) and the last shot with two girls laying down, the original ED was largely tasteful, with a few nice artistic touches, as well. The fishing boat shot feels like an awesome spite move at the complaints. Still not as dumb (or blissfully ironic) as the SHIMONETA one, but this is still throughly Rolling Eyes .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
They might as well complain about the over the top fan service shows (even when they are censored).
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
They might as well complain about the over the top fan service shows (even when they are censored).

They did with Shimonetta...kind of. Nothing about Musume or Prison School surprised me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I meant shows like To Love-Ru Darkness.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Pretty unfortunate that the ending of PriPara had to undergo a bit of editing to address the BPO grievances. Maybe viewers will get to see that Marilyn Monroe reference again when the show gets a home video debut, if planned?
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Great... now Japan's doing it too. Thanks, Obama! (jk)

You know I've always thought that some day the US might try to kill it at source as they can't ban it at home like Canada, Australia, and the UK.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Great... now Japan's doing it too. Thanks, Obama! (jk)

You know I've always thought that some day the US might try to kill it at source as they can't ban it at home like Canada, Australia, and the UK.

They could theoretically rule it obscene and ban it that way, but it would take a hell of a lot to convince people that banning it didn't breach the constitution.

This is what roughly happens in the UK when the BBFC declines to give a title a certificate, except it would need to go to court to be definitely ruled obscene, and rarely does a work ever actually do that. It's far cheaper just to cut your loses or cut the title, than it is to go to court and potentially lose.
maoyen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is amazing how such people watch late night anime for the sole purpose of morality censoring. Or how they lie about who the intended viewing audience is.

Except it's not late night, it's a children's show. Some of you don't seem to understand this.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I think it's funny actually. Instead of just changing the pose or swimsuit they pick the most conservative beach outfit ever - and still leave the strap hanging off even - to the point where it changes the whole tone of the video

way to make your critics get off your backs while also being tongue-in-cheek Pripara staff
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh great, now the moral guardians have their undies in a knot. Rolling Eyes
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
The complaints must have been VERY specific to a couple frames or the edits did not respond well because not much was changed from the original version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4