• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pripara Ending Edited After BPO Complaints

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
It is amazing how such people watch late night anime for the sole purpose of morality censoring. Or how they lie about who the intended viewing audience is.

Pripara airs at 10AM on a Saturday in a block with such adult anime like Future Card Buddyfight, Gon and Jewelpet. Rolling Eyes

The article seemed to infer the show was in the late night anime block.

"group posted thinly veiled complaints about the late-night anime SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist, PriPara, and"

Since it isn't, well nothing I said was correct.
Rensie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
I see, so 2-3 nonfactor people complain to a private organization about an ED in a cartoon and they immediately change it to please them?
Not surprised that censorship is grow up so bad in the latest years after the infamous bill. Stupid doormats.

At least Shimoneta is still unedited (i watch the At-x subbed version), but you know, they start with some edits, then they go more and more far till people accept it or mangakas stop to create and publish stories that can make someone complain.
digidragon
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:11 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
What exactly is it that broadcasting ethics organisations actually do? Do they produce weekly radio lectures about the Critique of Practical Reason, perhaps?

The BPO is just a forum for people to complain and be heard, really. The networks may or may not DO anything, but they'll at least listen.

It covers content complaints, but also stuff like "my family's reputation was tarnished by this program!"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
They're trying to serve 2 masters: kids and otaku

And y'know what happens when ya try to serve 2 masters......

Just put it on late late-night if ya have to

Actar wrote:

I really wonder when excessive skin = sex and inappropriateness. From what I have read from an journal article, the Japanese idea of sexuality is slightly different from the Western ideals.

In the West, the genitals, crotch/breasts are viewed as inherently sexual and are therefore banned from being shown on TV. In Japan however, there isn't such a thing as the genitals and breasts can serve other functions, for instance, breasts are for nourishing children. Only if they are used in a sexual context are they then deemed sexual. Otherwise, there really is no sexual connotation to them otherwise.

Ahem:

Japanese Artist Arrested for Releasing 3D Printer Data of Her Genitalia

jymmy wrote:

I wasn't aware that shot of Sophie was a reference to a a real photograph. It's perhaps not the visual reference I would have chosen, but I think it's pretty lame that it was changed just because people complained about it.

Kids wouldn't even appreciate the reference anyways - if they even know about her! (Marilyn Monroe? Who's she? Your grand-dad's boyhood bombshell crush?)

Kids don't care about this
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:50 am Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
I see, so 2-3 nonfactor people complain to a private organization about an ED in a cartoon and they immediately change it to please them?

Actually, I'm not sure that's the case at all. As far as I can tell, the complaint was that the ending featured girls in bathing suits, which is apparently "unnecessary" and "lacks consideration, as there are many child predators".

What they actually changed was not any of the many shots of girls in bathing suits, but the single shot of a girl in what's identifiable as underwear (and actually less revealing than many of the bathing suits), replaced with a rather out-of-place shot of the same girl in baggy overalls. I might possibly be reading too much into this, but it seems to me like that's saying "no look, we are taking on board concerns about inappropriate pictures of girls, we removed the one in underwear" while actually not addressing what the complaint was about, therefore saying "nuts to your complaint".
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:26 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Kids wouldn't even appreciate the reference anyways - if they even know about her! (Marilyn Monroe? Who's she? Your grand-dad's boyhood bombshell crush?)

Don't forget how much of the humour in Rugrats was aimed squarely at the parents watching with their children.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:28 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Don't forget how much of the humour in Rugrats was aimed squarely at the parents watching with their children.

This and Animaniacs.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
And Rocko's Modern Life. And really, quite a lot of kid's cartoons.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:32 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
And Rocko's Modern Life. And really, quite a lot of kid's cartoons.

Yeah it can be just as bad for example

even rape jokes

and Panchira
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:53 am Reply with quote
It is interesting how even American parents might complain about shows like Family Guy when several kids shows that were mentioned had crude humor in it also.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:27 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
It is interesting how even American parents might complain about shows like Family Guy when several kids shows that were mentioned had crude humor in it also.

The TV caps in the post above yours came from a French TV station, I'd imagine they're slightly toned down for US TV.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
Good riddance. That sort of edgy fanservice of little girls has no place in a children's television show. And to think they would model the shot after one of history's most renowned sex symbols, it's ridiculous.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Good riddance. That sort of edgy fanservice of little girls has no place in a children's television show. And to think they would model the shot after one of history's most renowned sex symbols, it's ridiculous.

Totally agree. It's not like Marilyn Monroe is a role model for girls. Rolling Eyes That pic has no business being in a children's title aimed at girls.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Yeah, but then you have Parental Bonus. Kids are the audience for Gravity Falls, for instance, but would they even be familiar with the Vigenère cipher, which is required to solve the encrypted message at the end of the credits for each Season 2 episode?

Shiroi Hane wrote:

I really liked Rugrats when I was younger, as I was an older sibling. It nailed down the behavior of toddlers and gave interesting explanations on why they behaved the way they did.

Buzz201 wrote:
The TV caps in the post above yours came from a French TV station, I'd imagine they're slightly toned down for US TV.

Well, Wakfu, to my knowledge, has never been shown on US television.

Though seeing the incredible amount of under-age fanservice in shows like Totally Spies! and Code Lyoko, maybe there's something about television made in French-speaking regions.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Don't think the French are into the "Save the Children" mentality, that our U.S. nanny state is currently mired in, to our detriment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4