• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
To Love-Ru Darkness (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote

To Love-Ru Darkness (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, romance, science fiction
Themes: aliens, ecchi, fanservice, gender bender, harem, humanoid, school, school life

Plot Summary: With a few exceptions, most the intersteller gang is living with Rito and Mikan. Momo takes the lead in promoting her "harem agenda" for Rito who has managed to cling to his virginity thus far.
----------------------------------

I started this thread because I had been idly following this on CR and realized that there was no ANN anime forum thread the To Love Ru franchise since 2008. If people are watching apparently there is so little worth commenting about that nobody started a thread from then until now.

I can understand that -- TLR seems to be little more than a vehicle for delivering fan service and how much is there to say about that? (That hasn't been said before too much.)

Probably the most notable things about this season is that while we are still seeing things from Rito's POV most of the time, Lala has almost completely faded into the background and acts mostly like a supporting character except that she is supposed to still be the main love interest. She never acts on it except to occasionally create some device that causes the predictable trouble.

Anyone else watching this?
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes I was watching but have put it on hold until all episodes are out. The thing that bugs me is the fact they are really only doing this as a way to sell more Blu-ray's that will be uncensored and not for the story. It is really sad that they are censoring to the extent that they are even covering up underwear, which is ridiculous.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I loved TLR up to Darkness. While I've watched all of S1 and up to the latest episode of S2, I really don't like the more serious tone, Mono as the lead, and everyone else relegated to cameos.

The pre-darkness episodes felt a lot like a modern day version of Urusei Yatsura, except Rito is not a lech like Atrau. I almost feel bad for Rito, but not really. I mean, sure, yo be young and chased by women, but man, his medical bills are going to exceed his future student loans.

Now, what we need is a TLR, Nyarko-san crossover, that would be gigantanormous.

Cyberd1 wrote:
Yes I was watching but have put it on hold until all episodes are out. The thing that bugs me is the fact they are really only doing this as a way to sell more Blu-ray's that will be uncensored and not for the story. It is really sad that they are censoring to the extent that they are even covering up underwear, which is ridiculous.

Feel free to thank the Tokyo Metropolitan Assembly and Bill 156 for that.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

It is sort of amusing how the characters have come to regard Rito's pratfalls into compromising positions with a girl. To them it is no longer any sort of accident. Instead it is merely an inevitable consequence of his presence.

Other than there doesn't seem to be much to say. In spite of having a sword battle involving both Yami and Mea there just doesn't seem to be much of an edge to this show. It is hard to say what it is missing it just seems like nothing done pretty well.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Two more episodes and no remark from the hoi polloi. And what fine art this is that everyone is overlooking. I really like the flower close-ups int he ending credits.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
Although I am following the series, and have been fairly impressed by the character development this season (yes, I know it's practically a contradiction of terms for arguably the most hard-core harem series there is), I am saving full commentary for when the uncensored release is available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:22 am Reply with quote
I think I might like Mea even more than Yami in this series/franchise now. And anyways, whenever you see Lala's experiments, there's bound to be some sort of failure coming.

The lucky part is that Rito gets the fan service treat LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
How many episodes are there actually going to be of Darkness 2? The only thing I have found is Wikipedia listing it as 14 (not that it's not hard to make things up on Wiki) Considering TLR D2 started two weeks later than a good chunk of the shows running now, and we're on Episode 11; 14 seems like it will bleed a few weeks in to the fall season.Also not to mention that we see spoiler[Darkness awaken today, it's a hell of a setup for a season finale.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12.

Well -- this is turning out a bit more interesting than I had expected. The interaction between Mea, Yami, and Master was the story this week. Mostly for the purpose of showing that all of Rito's inevitable intimate contacts with random female body parts was not for nothing. It is amazing how long he can last in the captivity of a lethal being determined to kill him.

So let's see how Yami gets subdued next week. I'll bet Mikan has something to do with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1