• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why I Can't Stop Watching Prison School

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
i'm just saying that if someone wanted to use this show as evidence for some kind of "see, nobody cares about the boys getting hurt" thing, they'd be choosing a bad example, because the show doesn't exactly lend itself to interpretation and will probably make people look silly.

Exactly. The show is meant to be ridiculous. Trying to interpret it seriously will just make you look silly. Yet the exact same logic is very often ignored in the cases of other intentionally ridiculous series. That is where the hypocrisy is.

Arale Kurashiki wrote:
if this article, or anyone, wants to analyze what exactly this work is supposed to be, they should be comparing it to the original story if possible.

That is wrong. You can analyze a work on its own merits. You can compare it to the original story, but it isn't that you should. In fact, you need to be very careful lumping a source and an adaption together because they often have discrepancies which means a conclusion you draw from the source may not make sense for the adaption. So even if you choose to compare an adaption with the original story, that doesn't mean you should necessarily lump them together.
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
There is an easier answer to that: there's just not enough official manga material. There's only one volume in English, and ANN won't make an article about something that was consumed through illegal means. Maybe there will be reviews for the manga itself in due time, if you want.

But even if there are, it won't be about whether the adaptation is done right, that's more or less a comparison at best, but it doesn't help in understanding a show as a stand-alone.
triplefox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
Although I haven't watched Prison School I would like to remark on past interpretations of "dark" fiction of this kind and how it's easy to get tripped up on what they mean.

See, for example, this list of animal cruelty in film.

Several of the descriptions(Electrocuting an Elephant,
My Way, a Work in Progress, Heaven's Gate) make it pretty obvious: The people that made them thought that sadism consummated with an actual in-camera death was a great idea and very artistic of them.

And it is in the aspect of "artistry" that we allow ourselves a get-out-of-jail-free card: Oh, this director does all these terrible things, but it is his art. But if that is the case, typically, additional meanings will appear upon a close reading. If an aesthetic is only there for its own sake and cannot be connected to some other theme in the surrounding text, it amounts to fetish imagery.

The blurry part of the line is always in the "satire" defense, the ha-ha-only-serious aspect of showing the cruelty and then saying afterwards that it was a joke because it took an ugly thing and then made it over-the-top extreme, and this is somehow *handwave* commentary about it. This is done because the creators know they are doing something society judges poorly, but have the power and connections to get their jollies and then slap a cover story of ambiguity on it. Again, my advice is to look for depth and additional meaning in the text. If the material ultimately makes the most sense "taken straight", then take it that way. Don't bother trying to rationalize around it. If you like it, you like it. That's fair. And it's probably a lot better to like it as a cartoon than to seek out the "real thing."
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
MasterSword23 wrote:
It's the exact same way with me! It's such a dumb show but I love it!

It also helps that the dub is pretty excellent.

and they didn't pull a panty and stocking with the dub casting. the dub for that series still have my jaw drop to this day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
It's easy to understand why this thing works. It's Gilligan's Island by way of Porky's. Cool
tsundereikemen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love the manga. It's just over the top ridiculousness at its finest, with a tinge of weird pubescent disgusting romance... If you can call it that xD

These boys have their minds in a gutter in more ways than one. LOL
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
tsundereikemen wrote:
These boys have their minds in a gutter in more ways than one. LOL

And the girls are as pure minded as a hillside of untrodden snow.
OriginalOutcast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
I Refuse to watch/read Prison School​ mainly for two reasons:

1. It's still ongoing so there's no ending.

And 2. Why is it played for laughs when women abuse men? This isn't Frickin Lifetime​. There's no Feminist, Double Standard, Girl Power, Bullshit to be had. Abuse against men is not Funny!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
OriginalOutcast wrote:
Abuse against men is not Funny!

Abuse against anyone can be funny, if done right. It's been a staple of comedy for years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6