• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will Anime Ever Come To My Country (Legally)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
ravager wrote:
For English subbed, sometimes anime DVD releases from Singapore or South Korea have English subs, so I prefer them especially if they're cheaper.

I've heard rumors that the quality of English translations is quite poor on Singapore or HongKong anime releases. Can you tell if that's true for these Singapore and S-Korea ones?

If there are properly licensed DVDs with English subs to be had there, I'd love to know about them. I import all my anime from USA/Australia/Japan/UK anyway, and having a few more sources would be great.
ravager

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
ravager wrote:
For English subbed, sometimes anime DVD releases from Singapore or South Korea have English subs, so I prefer them especially if they're cheaper.

I've heard rumors that the quality of English translations is quite poor on Singapore or HongKong anime releases. Can you tell if that's true for these Singapore and S-Korea ones?

If there are properly licensed DVDs with English subs to be had there, I'd love to know about them. I import all my anime from USA/Australia/Japan/UK anyway, and having a few more sources would be great.

I've only bought anime and Japanese live action movies from SG, but no problem with their subs. Don't know about HK, sorry.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see what ISIS would think of Shimoneta.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I would love to see what ISIS would think of Shimoneta.

There are probably closet anime fans within their ranks, most likely the young recruits. A lot of them are frustrated kids who want to play "soldier" to let loose their grievances in their home countries. Here's an article that proves them as nothing more than spoiled hypocritical thugs.

Anime and manga in Iran...yeah, this is a tough one. Even the most family friendly and wholesome show Japan can come up with will trigger some sort of red flag from the current regime. Japan, as a whole, is a country that has embraced Western culture and its society and arts are the antithesis of conservative dogmatic Islam. North Korea is possibly the only other nation that is equal to the amount of media censoring and repression that Iran is suffering from. Even if somehow Japan managed to establish trade with Iran, I sincerely doubt they'd be able to export anything beyond essential goods legally.

To the person who ask this question, I would suggest to keep your love of the hobby further underground at least until either the political and cultural climate changes (not likely.) or you get an opportunity to leave to better lands. You'd be lucky if you just got a fine for being caught watching reading the stuff, but hearing stories of people there being incarcerated for the most mundane reasons, you better watch your back.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Technically, not all fansubs are illegal. That is, sometimes a Japanese anime company may allow a fansub group to sub 1 of that company's said shows.
Yu Ominae

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:11 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this wiki page is accurate regarding the programming of IRIB Pooya.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRIB_Pooya

Just happen to find this.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Hellsoldier wrote:
Iran's current regime is a Human Rights Tragedy. The Anime aspect, horrible and opressive as it is, is just a small part of the horror. And by now, only Iran's youth can save it.

I could be wrong, but I remember reading in another forum a comment that said that a certain paul mccartney song inspired many during the revolt that ousted egypt's president.

If I were an Iranian hoping to inspire a revolution, I would translate to farsi and distribute Attack on Titan, since we are talking about that kind of odds; if there is a revolution, it wont be pretty and body count will be very high, but it beats living your whole life in a cage.

*gone again*

I think there was a song that was a hit in China, that was adopted as an unofficial anthem for the Studant Protests that led to the Tianamen Square Massacre. So most likely, possibly that's what happened.

Attack on Titan helped with the Hong Kong Protests recently. So AoT sure isn't a bad choice at all. Quite frankly, my opinion may be a bit controversial, but if someone is trying to take everything away from you (or worse, has indeed taken everything away from you) you should go all out. This is true everywhere, be you a youth in Iran, gay in Russia, someone in China.

As cranky, clumsy and crappy as it is, I celebrate the fact that my country is a Liberal Democracy for 41 years.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Yu Ominae wrote:
I don't know if this wiki page is accurate regarding the programming of IRIB Pooya.

You may have just saved the poor user. There's a couple of goodies in there too.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Yu Ominae wrote:

All summed up: Only children's anime (kodomo) and Robotech (a american butcher of anime) are allowed anime titles...

This has to be the most boring channel on Earth...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Central_Television

Never mind what I said.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:33 pm Reply with quote
KCT 's lineup is garbage, no wonder NK has such a bad meth problem, I know not to go there.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
KCT 's lineup is garbage, no wonder NK has such a bad meth problem, I know not to go there.

And that's not all when it comes to North Korea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_intranet

Apparently, Iran is fondling with this concept. I will feel more sorry for the people of Iran if this moves forward.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
^
Hmm, I wonder if Tor would work in such an environment.....
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
johnmp wrote:
I was born in Vietnam, and I was luckly moved to the USA, I always said that I wished we never moved but after this question, I then realize how lucky I was to move here. If I stayed in Vietnam I probably wouldn't even know what anime is. But i hope one day all country can have freedom and rights like the USA because makes me feel sad when other. People who were born in country similar like mine don't have the rights like the USA.

I'll bet that anime exists to a substantial degree in Vietnam simply because it's geographically close to Japan. Anime is everywhere in Thailand, for instance, though it being from Japan has no special distinction and so the word "anime" is not really used much there. Of course, Thailand is a lot more open in trade with other countries, and it has a culture of consumption, so circumstances may be very different.

Gasero wrote:
It has always been my assumption that the more a company keeps their properties out of other regions (regionally or intentionally) the more money they lose. Once people get in the habit of downloading something illegally it will be difficult to break that culture without offering an intense amount of incentives.

In the age of the internet it makes little sense for companies to not extend their licenses internationally whenever they can.

At least with the case of Iran, I think the barriers here are predominantly of politics, not business. Companies like Aniplex and Toei are pretty interested in international sales, and I don't think they'd pass up an opportunity to sell to a country they believe will welcome their stuff unless doing so is illegal, controversial, or outright dangerous.

kgw wrote:
Yup, it's still illegal because it's not where do you take "in" but you where do you take "from": original author is not making a yen from you, and I am quite sure he and his company would be glad taking more money from overseas.

Well, the creator's desires don't necessarily line up with piracy laws. Trey Parker and Matt Stone like it when people pirate South Park, for instance. They want people to watch their show, but they don't care how they do it. Death Cab for Cutie loved it when "Soul Meets Body" was leaked and torrented everywhere. The guitarist said, and I quote:

"I love it. The more anarchy we can give to the record industry, the better." - Chris Walla

That quote suggests to me that Death Cab for Cutie, or at least Chris Walla, prefers people pirate their music due to a grudge of some sort against their emplyers.

Agent355 wrote:
What is the anime and manga situation in Russia right now, and would it be possible for Iranians to legally import Japanese manga and/or anime from Russia? I think Russia is still trading with Iran despite the sanctions, right?

Perhaps China too, though as we all know, China gleefully censors and bans anime. To my knowledge, Russia is much more open about its media than China is. Even under the USSR, you had satirical magazines like Krokodil which poked fun of its own government, something the Chinese government would never put up with.

mangamuscle wrote:
TBT "Islamic morals" should be corrected to "Sharia Law", since not all Islamic countires make it the law of the land. i.e. Indonesia is the country with the biggest muslim population but they have access to anime.

Yeah, that was something in the back of my head: Indonesia is also a predominantly Islamic country but is very open, both in the media and in its culture. The restrictiveness and conservatism really is because of the government, not the religion.

Hellsoldier wrote:
Quite frankly, unless a youthquake shakes Iran's very foundations, nothing will ever change. Women are property, gays, lesbians and bisexuals get the death penalty for homosexual activity, there's a strict dress code, sex outside of marriage is forbidden, and there's an intolerance to everything non-Muslim, specially polytheist. And atheists are also put to death. Among other cancers in a Sharia society. Plus, Japan is an ally of the West.

Considering one of the first languages "Rock the Casbah" was translated to was Arabic and it became an underground hit there, I think there's a significant amount of frustration among the rank and file.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

mangamuscle wrote:
TBT "Islamic morals" should be corrected to "Sharia Law", since not all Islamic countires make it the law of the land. i.e. Indonesia is the country with the biggest muslim population but they have access to anime.

Yeah, that was something in the back of my head: Indonesia is also a predominantly Islamic country but is very open, both in the media and in its culture. The restrictiveness and conservatism really is because of the government, not the religion.

Hellsoldier wrote:
Quite frankly, unless a youthquake shakes Iran's very foundations, nothing will ever change. Women are property, gays, lesbians and bisexuals get the death penalty for homosexual activity, there's a strict dress code, sex outside of marriage is forbidden, and there's an intolerance to everything non-Muslim, specially polytheist. And atheists are also put to death. Among other cancers in a Sharia society. Plus, Japan is an ally of the West.

Considering one of the first languages "Rock the Casbah" was translated to was Arabic and it became an underground hit there, I think there's a significant amount of frustration among the rank and file.

Looks like I have another reason to check The Clash. Wink

Well, yeah, the Middle East has more secular hunger than we often give them credit for. Hunger for freedom and all. They are first of all Human beings. Even if millions of them are brainwashed by their tyranny, millions of them are not.

About Indonesia though, things are not really that great there. They're way better. They are way better, no doubt, but Islamist (read: Political Islamic Fundamentalism) has its major presence there, and there are people there who will do what it takes to impose Sharia Law in all of Indonesia.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nobahn wrote:
^
Hmm, I wonder if Tor would work in such an environment.....

I have my doubts.

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:01 am Reply with quote
ravager wrote:
I've only bought anime and Japanese live action movies from SG, but no problem with their subs. Don't know about HK, sorry.

That's good to hear. I'll have to look into it. Do you have some links maybe? And what about S-Korea?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5