• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Will Anime Ever Come To My Country (Legally)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
(though I did see an article in the LA Times a few weeks ago about Iranian nuclear power plants and people in the United States convinced they want to nuke us).

Iran's most advanced missile is estimated to have a range of 2,500 km. A google query reveals that the distance between the US and Iran is 11,651 km. In comparison, Russia's maximum missile range is 16,000 km and we're most definitely within range. I think the current negotiations in place between the United States and Iran are because America's foreign policy with respect to Iran is dated and now other countries won't take us seriously when we point our finger at Iran and call them the boogeyman.

From not just a political or media bias perspective, the United States considers Iran a global threat because of the danger it poses to Israel, its ally. Although how good of an ally the United States is to Israel is another question, I will not comment here. Regardless, Iran has repeatedly gone on record for threatening to literally wipe Israel off of the map, which they refer to as "the Zionist regime." If it weren't for these kinds of threats to global safety, I do not think that the United States, Israel, or much of the rest of the Western world would have a problem with Iran.

As this pertains to anime, it occurs to me that much of the problem with getting legal anime in Iran has to do mostly with its government and its policies, which are informed by Shia Islamic practice and Sharia law. In other words, it is "mosque and state" tied together at the hip. So, if the Islamic leadership says something is law there, it is national policy. If this does not change, sadly, legal anime will most likely not become a reality. Sad
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
^ I was wondering if someone in Iran would bite and post in the discussion. It's disrespectful for people of a different nationality to trash talk your home country. Even more so when those people try to dress those comments as helpful and humane, and it's so obvious what they're trying to push. There's no reason to trash talk Iran anymore because the cold war ended a while ago and now there's the potential of them conducting business with America in the future.

Criticizing a country's rights suppressing government and laws is *not* "trash talking" a country, and it's certainly not meant to insult its citizens. I'm sure Iran has a lot of positives (beautiful land, historic artifacts going back millennia), and I know that its "democracy" isn't really representative of its people, but its Government and their human rights violations are horrible.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the the international sanctions and the Internet infrastructure, the biggest hurdle is, as mentioned in the column, the laws of the regime. Just taking a quick glance at the other countries in either side of Iran -- China to the east, Arab countries to the west -- to see that it by itself can hinder or even prevent practically any and all commerce in the anime & manga sect.
Desslok

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Yu Ominae wrote:
I don't know if this wiki page is accurate regarding the programming of IRIB Pooya.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRIB_Pooya

Just happen to find this.

You may have just saved the poor user. There's a couple of goodies in there too.

Interesting that Robotech is there, but not similarly sanitized series like Speed Racer or Star Blazers. I wonder if it's a licensing thing, that Harmony Gold is willing to pimp their stuff out to anyone.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
^
I wonder if Robotech has a Farsi dub, or if it is a Farsi sub?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5