• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - What It Feels Like For A Monster Girl

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
"You don't need 400 episodes of Urusei Yatsura. You don't need it."

But I need it!! UY is one of my favorite series ever. Yeah it's kind of a sitcom but that doesn't stop companies from releasing all the Simpsons episodes or Seinfield episodes. At least then we get the choice of which episodes to watch.

I agree with the commentary in 3.0. It feels like after so many years of fans saying "Shinji's a wuss", Anno struck back. "You want Shinji to be proactive, hot blooded hero? Oh, ok then." Anime hyper IIRC Asuka was intended to fill that role anyways originally. People just didn't take well to the gender swap of roles; the girl being the hot blooded badass and the guy being the sensitive indecisive type.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Given the trend in box office earnings, I don't think people disliked Asuka of all characters for being the "hot blooded badass". I think people just disliked Shinji for being Shinji.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Having 400 episodes of Urusei Yatsura would be rather difficult. It only runs 195 episodes, 11 OAVs and 6 movies.

I have the whole thing, it was available from AnimEigo for a long time. I got the first box set when it came out and picked up most of the rest a year or so before the license expired (at serious sale prices). And, no, I haven't watched the whole thing, but I continue to work on it. I would definitely double dip for a Bluray version. I just wish we had gotten the whole manga version.
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I almost got the whole thing (Urusei yatsura) through Animeigo too. I lost my job just when the boxsets were coming out and I missed on completing my collection. It haunts me to this day. I would actually watch it all. I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to anime series. I have to watch every little thing in the correct order unless there isn't a way to do so. (It's one pet peeve I have with streaming. Don't get me wrong, It's great and everything but now that fansub groups have stopped acquiring the dvds mostly, and we depend on whatever is streaming, specials and OVAS get ignored for the most part. I can't even count on waiting for the bluray release since most of this stuff doesn't get licensed along with the series. It drives me nuts).

Anyway.... just two years ago I watched Zatoichi in its entirety, including the movies. It took me about three months. I kind of forced myself to do it at the beginning because... wow... that thing is looooooooong, and by the end... I was wishing there was more of it. So, yes, I would watch it all (have already watched all of the episodes I own) and I have always kept my fingers crossed just hoping someone will rescue the Urusei yatsura license so I can complete my collection. Although I could not support a kickstarter for the entire series, since I don't have that much money to spend at once (Animeigo boxsets were released like once a month I believe) and I already have most of it (118 episodes and 2 movies).

As far as the interviews go, count me in as a fan of the Japanese creators ones. I don't watch dubs (nothing against it, I just don't) and I'm not really that familiar with the USA voice actors. I am more familiar with anime directors and mangaka, and I've found those interviews fascinating. Directors specially seem not to give those typical scripted answers you often see when someone is interviewing musical artists. For example, I have not really given much thought to Yuki Yuna before, but after reading the interview, I am definitely interested in checking it out.

And last but not least, as far as Japanese movies go, yeah.. manga adaptations tend to not be very good (Kenshin excluded, have not seen Titan yet, but plan to), but I have a few directors I love: Ironically, Kurosawa but not Akira, Kiyoshi Kurosawa. I still have not found one movie of his I do not love. Each one seems to be a different genre but you can always tell who the director is. Also Sion Sono, even in his weaker movies there are amazing scenes and he always manages to make me care about the characters. An of course, Takashi Miike is always fun as hell and /or smart (I wouldn't say Audtion was fun but it was interesting).

And I would add, relating this to my first paragraph that watching the Zatoichi movies (the original ones, ironically the Takashi Miike one was the one I liked the least), is fantastic if you want to travel trough the history of Japanese cinema. Two decades of camera techniques, white adn black, crazy color, more subdued color, light and shadow. Even the way different themes are handled, the type of humor on screen, that kind of stuff. I truly felt like I was time traveling in a way.

I am gonna stop now, sorry for the long post. I guess I've had too much coffee today.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
True Detective Season 2:I don't know how you were able to sit that ,Zac. Could not get through an episode of it. You know you problems when your dialogue is on par with a Steven Seagal film. I did find Vince's performance pretty funny though. He's trying so hard to play a tough,but he doesn't acting chops at all to pull it off.

Japanese films: Big of fan of the older directors like Akira Kurosawa,and the equality great Masaki Kobayashi(Harakiri being one of my favorites). Don't really go out of my way when it comes to modern Japanese films unless a film caught a lot of buzz or is recommended by someone. Not a fan of the overacting that is in the modern ones,and don't care for the current pool of actors and directors.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
For those wondering which monster girl Zac would pick, 1 of them that he mentioned was Lamia,
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:30 am Reply with quote
I, for one, would TOTALLY buy the Dr. Slump TV series. I feel you guys about not having a lot of time to watch everything you'd like, but Dr. Slump is one of my top 2 or 3 wanted anime to watch and own (Future Boy Conan is #1 to own for sure). I think it would be a great if Discotek could put out the rest of the Dr. Slump movies, but I just want to throw out there that some people would definitely buy the TV series if it were available.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
@鏡 and One-Eye: Don't get me wrong: I would love for Zac to go beyond Bake- because the evolutions of the characters are more than worth it. I was just suggesting an alternative (and time-saving) solution to approaching Monogatari.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
As for live action adaptations of anime and manga I hope you check out the 2011 live action version of Wild 7.

The subtitled Japanese blu-ray is cheap and not because it was not popular but likely because the initial release was very popular.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/aff/click.cgi/e86NDzbdSLQ/4218/A525486/detailview.html?KEY=WHV-1000443945
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2