• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Plucky Kid Detectives

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
Of course Conan would be #1. He's the downright poster boy for this.

When you think of anime kid detectives, 9 times outta 10, people will think of him.

Exluding the people who have to seen the show, but since its rather popular in Japan, that probably only applies to those outside it.
Although Kobayashi was written way before him(In the '30s).

Kobayashi?
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd go bar-hopping with Sasakura from Bartender. Mostly because I can't hold a drink and I know he'd find something that could help me.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see Alice and Victorique one this list.
*stares at shelf, sees Gosick, smiles*

And, while I'm not sure of her age...I am a fan of Tensai Ikkyuu from Nana's Buried Treasure.

As for the poll...well, I don't drink. And, honestly, I don't really know many characters that I'd like to interact with when they're drunk. Only one that immediately comes to mind is Kozue Takanashi from Working!!!

And, since I like watching her antics, though know she wouldn't be someone I'd hang around with...I'll just add her to the poll. Laughing
meepsheeps

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

Exluding the people who have to seen the show, but since its rather popular in Japan, that probably only applies to those outside it.
Although Kobayashi was written way before him(In the '30s).

Kobayashi?

Who dat?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:21 pm Reply with quote
meepsheeps wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
Kobayashi?
Who dat?

Probably a reference to the character in Ranpo Kitan, who himself is based on a character from the works of "Edogawa Ranpo." Kobayashi first appeared in a novel by Ranpo that was published in 1930.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Much of that list doesn't really qualify as "plucky." Actually, I have a feeling you mainly chose it because the word sounds childish rather than actually putting much thought into its meaning.

Nah, I think they all fit the meaning ("undaunted" or "fearless").
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pervysagehere

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote
I thought for sure Near from Death Note would be SOMEWHERE on this list.. Confused Confused Confused
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Let's not forget Flint the Time Detective.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Of course Conan would be #1. He's the downright poster boy for this.

When you think of anime kid detectives, 9 times outta 10, people will think of him.

that there was a no brainer. of course he would be number 1. and of course the poll is also obvious too. of course lelouch , scar , itachi and accelerator would be in the top 5. though i was surprised that crona and not light yagami is in the top 3. goes to show you how much people despises light.

however that guy of all people? i would get it if it was Greed from the first FMA.but crona? And sure he had one serious psycho bitches for family members, but he's way too much of a wuss to begin with and did even worse things in the manga to even sniff the top 10. just because he's a very likable villain (which is why his ending for the anime and manga are very different) doesnt necessarily mean he should necessarily be or received any type of redemption.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Kagura (from Inuyasha) in last week's poll, but she was never all that bad to begin with. It just would have been nice if she had been completely redeemed.

This week I voted for Wakako from Wakako-zake. She might not make a good conversation partner, but if you just order whatever she's having, you're guaranteed a good meal!
SillyPerson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
Don't forget Near from the 2nd half of Death Note. He's quite the plucky kid detective himself. Not sure where he'd fit in this list... he only solved one case but it was the biggest case in the entire world.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
SillyPerson wrote:
Don't forget Near from the 2nd half of Death Note. He's quite the plucky kid detective himself. Not sure where he'd fit in this list... he only solved one case but it was the biggest case in the entire world.

however i believed that near is probably in the late teens which is why he wasnt chosen. just because he looks like a kid doesnt mean he's one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SillyPerson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
however i believed that near is probably in the late teens which is why he wasnt chosen. just because he looks like a kid doesnt mean he's one.

I just looked it up on the Death Note Wiki and you are right. Near is 17 years old at the time of the events at the end of Death Note. He just looks like a pre-pubescent kid. He is still technically a minor though. This makes him the exact same age Light Yagami was right at the beginning of the series... 17. So, not the youngest kid, but he is short and looks childlike.
Merengues.Pop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Not sure where the cutoff point for "kid" is here, but I rather like Oreki Houtaro, from "Hyouka." Maybe he's disqualified, though, because he isn't a functional detective on his own; someone has to be badgering him to the point where investigating becomes less troublesome than not investigating.

Exactly my thoughts, if thinking outside of the box, but still following a strict logic is what you look for, Oreki seems perfect.

Although it would have to be some mystery that makes Chitanda curious, otherwise he ain't moving a finger.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
As much as I love Oreki, I wouldn't say he is plucky. If the going gets tough, he'd give up. It'd be Chitanda that'd continually push him to solve the mystery...

I'm still wondering of Tensai from Nana's Buried Treasure. She is plucky, but, I think she may be 16? That may be too old for the "kid" part. Though, while I know very little about Conan...isn't he technically the same age as Tensai? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3