• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga space issues! Aaaaah!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zumie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Anyone have issues with a lack of space for manga? That's happened to me so uhhh it's difficult for what little space I have to be completely taken over in Horner style.

Although this is another good reason for companies to support digital format, what do YOU do with your manga? Keep it for eternity until heat death of the universe, sell it,? I'm pretty curious what others do to deal with said crisis Sad
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Yup. However, I'm a collector and I hate buying digital books, as I'm always paranoid that one day they will vanish, a la Jmanga. I will only buy download to own stuff. Therefore, amassed over 11 years of collecting, I currently have about 1200 physical manga volumes. At the moment, roughly 1/2 - 2/3rds of my collection is back at my parents' house. The rest is overflowing off 2 bookshelves in my flat.

Having said that though, I have sold quite a bit of stuff over the years which I didn't think I'd read again. I can't say I've missed any of the stuff I have sold either, which is good.

Moving house with 1200 books in tow is horrible. Just saying.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I have discovered that the "Really Useful Boxes" that Office Depot and Max and all of those sell are really nice for storing manga and anime. More anime than manga, but then you use the space saved from the anime to store the manga!

This size is my preference. In 2 rows of DVDs, you can fit about 40 normal-sized DVDs. For manga, you can do 4 stacks of "normal" US-sized manga about 10 high (depending on the thickness of them), and then 2-3 volumes standing horizontally down the middle so they don't shift. The lids latch on, so you don't have to worry about them falling off, and they stack nicely.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I got one wall mostly covered in 1 room of my house on the shelving i built specially for it, i live alone in a semi detached house so space isnt an issue. Besides digital manga is a no no for me as i don't want my manga to be reliant on tech, subject to the fortunes of the publisher and requiring electricity to read.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Ever since I went 100% digital the stress of hoarding stuff has been lifted from my shoulders. I don't miss it.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:49 am Reply with quote
I prune and add shelves. Organising my manga is just so relaxing, I wouldn't dream of parting with all of them, but the ones I don't plan on rereading got to go.

Which means I have a collection of 2200 books that is still growing. Oops? The walls of my study/office/whatever you want to call it are all lined with bookshelves.

The books I don't want anymore either go to the MangaKissa (mostly shorter series and quirky oneshots) or are sold.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

Moving house with 1200 books in tow is horrible. Just saying.

Just did it myself - although my collection is a little bit larger; about 1300. Luckily some of them are Victorian miniature editions...but my 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica, my complete set of Thackery, and my multiple elderly Shakespeare editions are seriously heavy. I think the manga may be the easiest part of my library...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I can't even imagine moving. I've got something above 3000 volumes of manga, a couple of hundred volumes of US newspaper cartoons and a couple thousand regular book. I lost count a long time ago. And that doesn't even begin to address my anime, anime figures and posters. And then there is all the plush cats, my wife's teddy bears and here collection of several thousand fashion dolls. Our current plan is to let our executors handle the mess.

This is just the active manga, the photo is a bit out of date but show the display space.

This is the deep storage.

and here

and more here

Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
You guys are freaking NUTS.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:52 am Reply with quote
It isn't that bad... Moving 1800 manga volumes and several boxes of other books was actually the easiest part of my last move. Sure, it took several trips, but most of the manga fit perfectly in those big, sturdy shopping bags. I could carry 100 or so volumes up the stairs that way.

You know what sucks to move? Bookshelves Razz
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
i dont mind a bit of sloggin, bout the only thing im good at.
BrokenByDefault

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
As my collection has grown, I've had to do several things to keep my space issues in check.

Double-stacking - I purposely went and bought a bookshelf which was deep enough to fit three rows of manga on each shelf when I first starting collecting. I also stacked the rows on top of some planks of wood so I could see what was behind each of the rows.

Relocate - When that shelf was at maximum capacity, I organized my collection into series that I wanted on display, and those that I didn't like enough, which I then put in boxes for storage.

Selling/giveaway -
If I had any series I knew I'd never read again or stopped collecting, I sold them, and if I had any duplicates or damaged volumes, I gave them away.

New bookshelf - When that stopped working, I purchased some new bookshelves from IKEA. I also brought several manga volumes of several different sizes with me into the store to test which ones held the most.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:

New bookshelf - When that stopped working, I purchased some new bookshelves from IKEA. I also brought several manga volumes of several different sizes with me into the store to test which ones held the most.

Did you get a Billy (or seven)? I love those. They're very affordable and with some extra shelves they can house a lot of manga. Mine have those extra bits on top so they go all the way to the ceiling. Well, lamost anyway. Even people who don't know what manga is say my workroom looks amazing Anime smile
manjiorin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely an issue for me, and I'm similar to st_owly in that a large chuck of my collection now sits safely in my mother's home. I definitely need to go back and sell or get rid of some half read or half finished series, for sure.

I live in a smaller apartment so space is limited, but I haven't been here long so things have yet to get out of control. I have one tall 5-shelf book case that I took from home and a smaller 3-shelf one, but I have at least 5-7 completely full storage bins of manga at home that I just couldn't move to my apartment. I love, love, love, my manga and have been collecting for almost a decade and a half now, but it is a terrible thing to have to move.

I'm a manga collector at heart though and love having physical books to display, so I don't want to make the switch to digital to save space. It's just not happening for me.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, I'll use digital books, including manga only if it is something I really have to read and it is not available in print. Trying to read off a screen is a pain.

@Mr. Adventure
Not crazy, just collectors. I've been collecting books since I got out of service, anime and manga for 17 years now. It just accumulates.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4