• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Production I.G Acquires FLCL Rights For Ventures Such as Anime Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Sigh FLCL dosnt need a remake there so much more anime out there that need to be redone
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
bigivel wrote:
None of those series have anything to do with old Production I.G. proprieties, so it doesn't matter if they need remake or not, Production I.G. wouldn't be able to do them.

But FLCL rights belonged to Gainax, and I.G. acquired them. So... anything is possible. My comments were kind of in general though; it's like we're getting remakes but some of them don't need remakes (FLCL) and others are really obscure (Ushi & Tora)

But FLCL rights belonged to Gainax and Production I.G. not only Gainax. Production I.G. just bought Gainax share.

As I already said, remakes objective is to reach new audiences. FLCL is a 14 years series, so it makes totally sense and isn't in the group of anime that "don't need remakes".

Ushio & Tora was one of the most popular, if not the most popular, series in Weekly Shonen Sunday during Weekly Shonen Jump last part of Golden Era(Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk and Yu Yu Hakusho).
In terms of the Magazine series sales, is the 8th most successful series ever.
So it isn't obscure at all!
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I loved FLCL when it came out, but was totally taken back when it was only six episodes. It barely wet the beak; and it was over before it was fully warmed up.

I was always baffled by the short run, so I really like the idea of the remake and expanding upon it, as long as it is not a reboot in the sense that the US studios are doing these days.

Now, only if we could get some new Lum.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
AJ (LordNikon) wrote:
Now, only if we could get some new Lum.

We did, back during that same Rumik World festival time when we got new Ranma 1/2 (which fared only slightly better)--
And while it had a little of the old anarchic spirit, and the old voices, the old elegantly subversive Oshiii/Yamazaki/A-ko spirit wasn't there. I guess it used to be sort of like this, in a way, but a lot can happen to anime comedy in twenty years. Confused
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBh0FIeZRjk

(Apply this reasoning to FLCL's deranged hyperactivity as you will.
If even if you liked it, you can't come home again.)
D no Amerika

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I would rather see a sequal or even a prequel, but I would like to see what Prod. I.G. would do with this. The challenge here is that they're touching a classic. A classic that aged really well. If you make an HD version of it and compare it to anime like Kill La Kill, Soul Eater, or even Planet of Gargantia, it would look very similar in animation and quality, more or less. It's barely too different from anime today in those catagories, so I'm not quite sure how they're gonna do it. If it bombs, then I'll just stick with the original. No remake can ever tarnish an original, no matter how bad it may be. What I would like to ask FUNimation, if they're gonna dub it (of course they're gonna dub it,") is that they bring back each of the voice actors from the original. Other than that, I'd love to see what they'll do. Good luck, I.G.!
Imperialkat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
A possible remake of perhaps my favorite anime? Consider this eyebrow substantially raised.

On the one hand, it is certainly possible to write a manic anime like FLCL on purpose, make it look as pretty as today's shows (which could be nice), and back it with awesome Japanese punk rock. they could modernize it a bit. And I've always wanted more episodes in the past, although now I think it's about the right length. But a deeper story, more about Eyebrows, more about Haruka, more about Naota after she leaves, more of that signature mania and feel... these are all good things.

On the other hand, I... how do you even... it's like re-doing a Picasso painting. The nose is supposed to be crooked; that's what makes it unique. It would be so easy for it to seem cheesy and cheap to the fans and just as confusing as the original to everyone else. Also, the music is literally half the fun. Can they really find awesome music that fits so well outside of the pillows' catalog?

Color me cautiously optimistic. I will watch this should it ever see the light of day. I'm not sure what I want from this but I just hope it's good.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:
Well better Production I.G. than anyone else, I suppose. Still...

What world have you been living on? Production I.G is probably the most respected anime studio by North America fans.

Yea because of their VIDEO GAME works
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
WOAH! Did not expect to see this news, but I loved FLCL so this could be cool.

And like everyone else, they better get the pillows back for the music!

D no Amerika wrote:
What I would like to ask FUNimation, if they're gonna dub it (of course they're gonna dub it,") is that they bring back each of the voice actors from the original. Other than that, I'd love to see what they'll do. Good luck, I.G.!

Agreed, that dub cast is really important. They were soooo good.
Cabron

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
A possible remake?

I'm not sure how I feel about this.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ZOMG
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I have a decent excuse, I like to point people to this [adult swim] FLCL thread. I respectfully submit that that it is well worth reading.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
FLCL is one of the last Animes I'd expect to get a remake. This could be interesting.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
I just don't get it. There are lots of series that desperately need remakes or reboots. This is NOT one of them. Come on. Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Battle Angel Alita, Kare Kano, Claymore, Fruits Basket... take your pick!

It's like remaking Utena or Princess Tutu. FLCL is one of my favorite anime ever; I can't possibly see how it could be improved plus no pillows = no sale.

RoverTX wrote:
[I]f I.G. can really do it, don't rename to "I can't believe a crazy sexy alien lady who made me fall for her as a kid and then took off showed back up again for a second round"

I love this. "An alien bunny girl and my big brother's ex girlfriend are seriously ruining my middle school adolescence!"

Battle Angel Alita sure as hell needs a new version. 2 episodes? Really? Plus, now they have this new Last Order manga thing going on. (Loved Utena and FLCL, haven't watched any of the others). On a side note... Adolescence of Utena can sort of be considered a (trippy) remake. spoiler[ Who wouldn't want a Utena racing machine anyways?]
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
FLCL is my favorite anime of all time, bar none. I consider it to be perfect in every way. As someone whose been a fan of the show for almost 5 years, I've given much thought on a continuation, or a prequel on the series and whether or not it would be a good decision. I always pictured it as an impossibility as it's been nearly a decade and a half since its creation.

My mind says yes, because I would love to see more of the universe. But my heart says no. As I said, I consider FLCL to be an utter masterpiece. I believe it's one of the few shows all anime fans should watch before they die. So, does something that's been considered so great really need more? I feel like it does not. I'm just too afraid it would tarnish or taint its legacy. I mean, even today FLCL still stands on its own in every category, be it art, animation, and especially music.

As for the idea of a "remake", I ask why? As I just stated, it still holds up really well today. It's not something like Trigun, Dirty Pair, or Putlaw Star or something where a modern remake would be most welcomed.

My conditions for a continuation would be, bring back the original dub cast, they are a must. Bring back the pillows, who are also very much a must. And only have Naota be a teenager. Don't have him be like mid 20s to early 30s or something. Even with all that, I still have no idea where they would take the story. Into space with the Space Patrol? Would we find Mamimi again? Would Atomsk come back for some reason?

In the end, I'm not sure how to feel really. I'm giddy and excited, but also nervous with a pit in my stomach imagining what damage they could cause. Without Gainax though, I'm just not sure if they could recapture the magic that the first series has. I only ask Production IG to treat FLCL with the respect it completely deserves.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
Fooly Cooly was... Fooly Cooly. You can't really do that again. Seems pretty pointless and unnecessary. Like others have said, there are other series in far more desperate need of a reboot. Just let Fooly Cooly be Fooly Cooly.

From what I hear, this show went almost completely under the radar in Japan, but somehow became a classic here in the US.

Also, the English dub was the very first thing Kari Wahlgren was ever in, and the first big project for Stephanie Sheh. It also had good performances from Barbara Goodson, Melissa Fahn, and Steve Blum. I would hope any dub would bring them all back. It's one of the best dubs ever!

Also The Pillows' Ride on Shooting Star. Still one of my favorite anime songs (if not #1).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5