• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Production I.G Acquires FLCL Rights For Ventures Such as Anime Remake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:06 am Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
But FLCL rights belonged to Gainax and Production I.G. not only Gainax. Production I.G. just bought Gainax share.

I know; what difference does this make to what I said though? Many of the series I quoted are manga adaptations. IIRC manga publishers usually own those rights. In any case it's very common for anime remakes to have different animation studios from the original. Examples:
Hellsing TV (Gonzo)
Hellsing Ultimate (Satelight & Madhouse)
Berserk TV (OLM)
Berserk Movies (4C)

Quote:
As I already said, remakes objective is to reach new audiences. FLCL is a 14 years series, so it makes totally sense and isn't in the group of anime that "don't need remakes".

Can't they always reprint/re-air/remaster the old one? Put out new merch? Evangelion had merch going for a decade before the rebuilds came out. FLCL was pretty much perfect; I can't see a remake doing anything but being horrible when compared with the original. A lot of anime remakes these days are horrid low budget trash like Sailor Moon Crystal and Rurouni Kenshin New Kyoto Arc... so it makes me and others nervous.

Quote:
Ushio & Tora was one of the most popular, if not the most popular, series in Weekly Shonen Sunday during Weekly Shonen Jump last part of Golden Era(Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk and Yu Yu Hakusho).

Had no idea it was that popular in Japan, my bad!
XakonXIV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote
Heck, why stop at FLCL? Why not remake Cowboy Bebop while we're at it? Or Serial Experiments Lain? Or why not Revolutionary Girl Utena?
And while we're on the subject of remakes; where's that Casa Blanca remake that we're all *dying* to see? Rolling Eyes

So, yeah, like so many others here, I fail to see the point in remaking something as thoroughly uniqe and groundbreaking as FLCL. Seems like an exercise in futility, if you ask me.

As for my stance on a possible sequel, well... eh? I guess?
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
Sanyo wrote:
Weren't there 2 volumes of the manga, and only the first volume was animated?

Actually if I remember correctly the anime came first, then the manga was made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Sanyo wrote:
Weren't there 2 volumes of the manga, and only the first volume was animated?

Actually if I remember correctly the anime came first, then the manga was made.

That above all else is why it doesn't need a remake, Hunter X Hunter, Ushio to Tora and JoJo. All had limited adaptations, big chunks of the Manga being left out, so we were getting a fuller adaptation. With FLCL, it was completed to the best it could of been, no reason for a remake.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
The OVA is "very good" and used the now mostly dead OVA format perfectly yet it felt too short as big concepts were raised in the final act to then just be left on the table. I need to know who will do the new one first and see a bit of footage but i am positive on the project already.
(The FCLC manga is an adaptation and sucks if anyone cares. So do the 2 Abenobashi manga.)

I wonder btw how Uru in Blue will turn out as it should be the last interesting project the corpse of Gainax can give us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
XakonXIV wrote:
Heck, why stop at FLCL? Why not remake Cowboy Bebop while we're at it? Or Serial Experiments Lain? Or why not Revolutionary Girl Utena?
And while we're on the subject of remakes; where's that Casa Blanca remake that we're all *dying* to see? Rolling Eyes

Well, we had the TV series pilot with David Soul, you'll have to settle for that.
As to the above "why" question, BECAUSE I.G. DOESN'T CO-OWN THEM, THAT'S WHY!

Seriously, didn't we go through this whole malarkey back when everyone had that tantrum about "Why is Pixar making all those sequels?" (Because another studio threatened to make them first, and Pixar had to establish their legal ownership by making them under their own name, THAT'S why.)
In order to own a property bought from a third party, the ownership becomes that much more valid when you make something new and copyrighted under that title, which grants authorship. There's a credit to that effect if you stay till the very end of most movie credits.
If Disney buys Jim Henson, they have to make a new Muppet movie, and if Disney buys Star Wars, they have to make Ep. VII. Well, they don't have to, but they're greedy enough to try and cement the ownership.

If Gainax is going under, or giving up FLCL, I.G. feels they can establish full ownership with a remake...Look, do I have to make the "Terminator Salvation/Genisys" joke one more time before people get it, or do I have to pull out the big guns and joke about those hideous new CGI Rudolph specials Classic Media had to make after buying Rankin-Bass?
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
bigivel wrote:
But FLCL rights belonged to Gainax and Production I.G. not only Gainax. Production I.G. just bought Gainax share.

I know; what difference does this make to what I said though? Many of the series I quoted are manga adaptations. IIRC manga publishers usually own those rights. In any case it's very common for anime remakes to have different animation studios from the original. Examples:
Hellsing TV (Gonzo)
Hellsing Ultimate (Satelight & Madhouse)
Berserk TV (OLM)
Berserk Movies (4C)

The production Committee, or the animation studio, depending on how the production of a series is done, is normally given the exclusive rights of adaptation, by the publisher.
So it all ends up being the same thing, original series created by the animation studio or adaptation.

It sometimes happens that the original right owner leaves the right, or just borrows, to another animation studio. Isn't something really that common, and not something that is easy for a company to get.

Most important thing I was saying is - you're talking of the industry like is an homogeneous mass where any company can search for works, but that isn't really how things works. The industry is an heterogeneous and individualistic aggregations of companies with thin communication threads between them.
Complaining that the industry is spending time doing remakes in a series that they shouldn't, and should instead do it to something else is only a good complaining if both series are from the same company.

Lili-Hime wrote:

Quote:
As I already said, remakes objective is to reach new audiences. FLCL is a 14 years series, so it makes totally sense and isn't in the group of anime that "don't need remakes".

Can't they always reprint/re-air/remaster the old one? Put out new merch? Evangelion had merch going for a decade before the rebuilds came out. FLCL was pretty much perfect; I can't see a remake doing anything but being horrible when compared with the original. A lot of anime remakes these days are horrid low budget trash like Sailor Moon Crystal and Rurouni Kenshin New Kyoto Arc... so it makes me and others nervous.

"Evangelion merch going for a decade before the rebuilds came out" -> Right, and FLCL is going for more than a decade and an half. So it makes sense that does something like the rebuilds.

Sailor Moon was low budget since its first adaptation!
I didn't watch the Rurouni Kenshin New Kyoto Arc, so I don't know.

Basically it seems you're saying that you don't like remakes. OK, but that has nothing to do with a series don't needing a remake.
Why don't you just ignore that the remake was ever made and don't watch it?
Cabron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I wonder btw how Uru in Blue will turn out as it should be the last interesting project the corpse of Gainax can give us.
Still waiting on that one.
COME ON GAINAX.
littlebuster101

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
curtisd88 wrote:
Things it needs for a remake:

Expanded and more detailed story. Have some sort of epilogue and maybe a prequel

The Pillows for the soundtrack

The Pillows coming back for the soundtrack

Did I mention the Pillows need to come back for the soundtrack because they're freakin awesome?

please whatever that do they have to get the pillows for an all new soundtrack please
Hellfish

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
I cannot for the life of me to see the point in doing a remake... to wait and see if they prove me wrong I guess...
Karasu416

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
I'm actually really kinda livid about this.
Especially after they brought it back to blu-ray with refreshed colors it holds its own quite well.
I see absolutely no need for a 're-make'.

A continuation or a story that expands on other topics of interest that weren't as explored maybe. But a remake, I don't feel okay about that at all.

But, what's done is done and they'll do what they want to anyway. So, I suppose fingers crossed, I hope this doesn't bomb. FLCL is one of my all time favorites <3 Best of luck Production I.G. I pray that whatever they do with the franchise is amazing, if it is, which will be tough to beat, then I will be eternally grateful.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing about this, that I think a lot of you angry people are not really getting.

Doing a remake of a video game will usually result in "the same, but newer". Doing a remake of an anime? That's not exactly... quite the same thing. Especially when it comes to FLCL.

FLCL is short. FLCL is dense. You're right in that there's no point of doing a remake, because I don't think that's the right term to use for what's eventually going to come out of this project.

I think it will be more like a reboot or alternate continuity - a new story based upon the old one. Rebuild of Evangelion ended up being a new continuity and not a remake, right? And that's for a series that actually is long. FLCL on the other hand is so short that to do an actual "remake" would be... well, a waste of money, because you'd just be reanimating most of the same scenes, there isn't really that much room for redoing anything given how short and dense FLCL is.

This new project will almost certainly be a new story/continuity that can be a companion to the original. Similar to how the manga functions, it was a story with similar characters and premise but new robots, backstories, details, variations on events, ending, etc.

There is no way to actually do a straight remake of FLCL without it ending up being a different story. This is a new project and it isn't replacing the old one. And it could be almost anything, so please wait and see what happens before you complain. Personally I'm very happy that an old franchise I love is continuing, given how there's practically no new interesting anime anymore...

(That said I doubt this will surpass the original in any way, but hey, I'm sure even I.G. doesn't think they or anyone can do that.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5