• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece's Robin Figure Wears a Sweater, and Not Much Else

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Monster Hunter wrote:
As a character she doesn't do anything beyond healing people. She never fights and she stands on the sideline cheering Ichigo on.

And healing is not useful? So, are you saying that the doctors that serve overseas in the military are useless because they don't fight? If you say that a healer is useless, I'm just going to assume you think the same way about the people who help fight for our country.

Okay buddy good use of hyperbole there. Your so right I was so mistaken how important a character Sakura was. I now know her importance in fact I now know the importance of lots of other characters. Like unnamed farmers because they grew the food the characters ate to be healthy. How about unnamed nurses who delivered the character's from their mothers womb's as newborns. This is an action shounen manga yes fights are the most important part of the series. A main character who fights once and was controlled majority of the fight is pretty worthless.
Daiarana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
meeedoooz wrote:
as for the figure this looks EXACTLY like how oda draws robin Smile which is annoying to be frank and his sexism and over-doing it with fan service is one of the reasons i stopped reading one piece long time ago.

Declaring over-done fanservice "to-the-point-of-sexism" because of a healthy cleavage and short skirts seems rather exagerated, in my opinion.

It's up to everyone's own taste, of course, but I'm getting a little tired in general regarding the derogative use of "fanservice". I mean, is there somewhere a specification for how curvy a female character can be allowed to be before she automatically triggers the "ooohhh, big boobies" crowd? Really? To me, what is important is what you DO with the character in the manga, not how they look. If anyone can point out to me pages where Oda draws Nami or Robin rubbing themselves against the males, flashing panties or nipples, sweating or blushing or performing any of the other classic fanservice tomfoolery, go ahead. (And no, Hancock blushing every time she thinks Luffy proposes is not what I'm talking about.)
To me, this is just how Oda's women look - I think nothing of it. The few nude scenes (with the critical areas tastefully covered) are usually used for funny incidents such as Nami extorting peepers (totally in character) or a kid stomping the pride of perverts into the ground (take that Brook and Sanji!Laughing) They're not there without purpose or trying to get an *ahem* rise out of people.

And please spare me the argument about "the girls have to be saaaaved, how sexist!". Luffy saves everyone at one time or the other. Zoro, Chopper, Usopp, Brook and so on - they have all needed to be saved from something during the manga. So what? They usually save the hero right back. As does Orihime in Bleach. As does Sakura in Naruto. Move along - nothing to see here.

As I said in my previous post, Megahouse has transformed Robin's already voluptous curves into downright udders with this figurine. Now THAT's disgusting. I have some of the other Robin P.O.P.s and this one's a downright joke. Rolling Eyes
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
This is ridiculous, but so is the notion every female has to be an invincible warrior with no personality like Korra.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hazinger Zeta wrote:
It was in all versions of One Piece Unlimited World Red as a DLC outfit, but her boobs were a little smaller in the outfit in the game than in that figure. So there is some precedent.

Of course I had her run around in it 24/7 after getting it. Wink

Huh. Was this DLC in the Wii U version? I only got the 15th anniversary outfits.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
This is ridiculous, but so is the notion every female has to be an invincible warrior with no personality like Korra.

Oh, Korra had a personality, it was just a really terrible one.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Everyone is getting all up in arms over this figure apparently. Just don't buy it. I really don't see a issue. So she has big animay tidday, big woop? The figure doesn't bother me personally.
Don Netero'×_×

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Funny how we call "Naruto" and "Bleach" sexist because the girls aren't John Rambo, and yet people I disagree with politically never get on Oda's case for how he draws female characters.

Confused Ok as far as im concerned shonen literaly means that the media is targeted towards teenage boys. I as a teenager never cared for girl characters in a shonen anime its simple.
Shoujo is for girls
Shonen is for boys
Im not saying girls cant watch Shonen and boys cant watch shoujo but the targets audience for the shonen genre is boys.

Its very funny how we have these feminist that want to show their nipple talk about equality and then get mad over Oda drawing a character in a bikini. Its a little fan service its very small scaled in comparison to most manga or anime. His content is more credible than writing him off as a ecchi novelist ! Seriously !
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I think when I see a One Piece lady on a screen or page, my brain accepts that the characters are people and reads the lines as something resembling a human woman.
But my brain cannot do this with a fully detailed three-dimensional object, so the fact that her torso is about as big around as a 2L bottle is really jarring. Like even as comic book figurines go, that shit looks wrong.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

Wonder if it'll sell...

LOL, are you people serious with this crap? This figure will sell out, guaranteed. Japan doesn't have their panties in a bunch over sexism like the US.

Yeah, Japanese wouldn't have complained about Miley twerking - they would've bought it! Laughing
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:

Okay buddy good use of hyperbole there. Your so right I was so mistaken how important a character Sakura was. I now know her importance in fact I now know the importance of lots of other characters. Like unnamed farmers because they grew the food the characters ate to be healthy. How about unnamed nurses who delivered the character's from their mothers womb's as newborns. This is an action shounen manga yes fights are the most important part of the series. A main character who fights once and was controlled majority of the fight is pretty worthless.

Are you effking serious? So, all the times they've saved the protagonist from death just don't matter? Not everybody needs to fight and not everything needs to be about mindless violence. It's also funny how nobody complains when male characters are useless. Kakashi lost most of the fights he was in and spent every other story arc incapacitated.

Quote:
Oh, Korra had a personality, it was just a really terrible one.

Did everybody just stop watching after season two? She had character development. Her whole arc involved learning humility.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Fanservice is a weird subject.

In regards to One Piece, Oda tends to handle his female characters better than most of the other big shounen mangaka.

In regards to Nami and Robin, their purposes within the story amount to more than being pretty faces. Oda does a better job of making sure they don't become irrelevant from arc to arc and that the point of focus in scenes involving them isn't their sexuality.

In fact, Robin has never been blatantly fanserviced for the sake of fanservice until the more recent chapters. Nami has been, but that's been one of her established character traits, so fans are usually cool with that. Truth be told, the only time that Oda really fanservices Nami or Robin is when it leads to some situational comedy.

Wrapping this all back into the discussion, I guess some peeps are offput because they're selling this figurine on blatant, exaggerated sex appeal when Robin's character isn't really about that. (Yes? No? Maybe so?)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it began out of this figurine being off-model, or it being the first attempt at directly translating Oda's Jessica Rabbit approach to drawing female characters into 3-D. I can't really say which.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Wonder if it'll sell...

LOL, are you people serious with this crap? This figure will sell out, guaranteed. Japan doesn't have their panties in a bunch over sexism like the US.

and Thank God for that.

It all depends on what the figure's creator means to say, and what the intended audience is, as to how people feel about it.

I have outright naked statues in the house that are classier than a lot of the anime figures that are sold; Remember the Band-Aid girls from a few days ago?

This figure is not for me: The sexed-up nature of the doll is actually quite tame but the chunky and disproportionate dimensions are awful; The doll is meant to be pretty and she's just not.

As to comparing English North America and Japan:

1) There are a lot of reserved people in Japan and I'm sure that there are many, reserved or not, who DO NOT like the oversexed portrayal of women, and girls(shudder), done for the pleasure of perverts.

2)I've seen paintings or drawn pictures of naked women, done in all sorts of styles, sold at stores in NA malls; See opening sentence.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:10 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:

1) There are a lot of reserved people in Japan and I'm sure that there are many, reserved or not, who DO NOT like the oversexed portrayal of women, and girls(shudder), done for the pleasure of perverts.

Not just females!

Shimane town demands pants for Michelangelo's David sculpture. World Objects to Okuizumo’s Objection to Michelangelo’s David, “That Anime They Put Out Is OK, but David Isn’t?!” Laughing
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Wonder if it'll sell...

and Thank God for that.

Because they clearly don't care about how sexist they are. What's better? Having a country where the sexism debate are alive and well? Or having a country that is fully sexist and nobody there really cares about it?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4