• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Changing of the Guard

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlooo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Thank you Bamboo, for years of fun and interesting reviews. Your tastes seem to have a lot of overlap with mine, and I definitely checked out some stuff because of your articles. Only thing I can remember at this point is that I checked out Polar Bear Cafe after your gushing about it on The Stream, and I have no regrets about that one.

Good luck with all of your endeavors from now on!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the great work, Bamboo, and good luck in the future.

Once again, my initial surprise at a contributor moving on is tempered by realizing just how long I've been visiting this site.
L stole my cookie!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Bamboo. Shelf Life is one of my favorite ANN columns. I will continue to read each and every one. Take care, and good luck with your future ventures.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
So what's next? Can't imagine it must be easy to get a job when your CV has "reviewed anime" and the question you'll most often get is "what's anime?" followed by "Oh! Kid shows?". Laughing

Very nice to finish with patlabor 2, glad I'm not the only one who rave about it. I first watched it on teletoon (quebec cartoon network) back when I didn't know anything about anime, they would air these 4 anime movie (ninja scroll, honamie wings, patlabor 1 and 2) and initially I wasn't too crazy about it compare to the mind-blowing (for a kid) ninja scroll and action pack patlabor 1. But as I age a bit into a teenager it really became that movie that every teenager has that reshape there understanding of the world for me. But because of that its hard to know if its really good or if its just the nostalgia talking. I recently read the storyboard of it on the bus and would often get engrossed in it and all the detail that's evident even in this form.

Not sure if I'll buy it since I already have the DVD and it doesn't seem like there's much difference. Probably if I see it in a store, but I dunno if its worth ordering.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Damn, i feel so old every time this happens... Sad

Farewell and good luck for whatever the next chapter of your life might bring, Bamboo!
drakenfyre75

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure that D's father is a God and Son of Satan, unless the real D background has changed.
Nionel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much for all the years of content Bamboo, I have been reading your articles forever and Shelf Life has always been one of my favorite features here on ANN.

Good luck on your future endeavors, may they all be as fruitful as your time with Anime News Network.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
So what's next? Can't imagine it must be easy to get a job when your CV has "reviewed anime" and the question you'll most often get is "what's anime?" followed by "Oh! Kid shows?".

Or she can just list all the other things that she does, other than reviewing anime. It's always a good thing to stop for a second and realize that for everyone who has ever written for this site, writing for this site is just one of the many things that we've done in our lives, and it's never the entirety of who we are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Like others here, I wish Bamboo the best. I have always enjoyed Shelf Life, but my favorite column from Bamboo was The Stream. It was great having Bamboo's simple but insightful take on anime.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
.hack//ROOTS is a prequel to the 3 GU games: Rebirth, Reminisce and Redemption -- which are some of the best rpgs the ps2 era had to offer in my opinion. GU//Trilogy is a poor movie adaptation of the 3 games that cuts out about 90% of the story. So go play the games people.

Sad to see you go, buuuuuut it's always good to move on and do new things in life. Despite our opinions differing far too many times to remember, I still enjoyed reading shelf life every week. It was fun.

Cheers

Last edited by Ambimunch on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
lem

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Sad
Will miss your writing very much! Thank you Bamboo for all of your incredible help in finding shows to buy and enjoy over the years. Really have appreciated it.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
This is one of my favorite columns. Sad to see you go, but glad the column will be staying! Good luck in whatever you do next Smile
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so very much, Bamboo - you've always had a voice uniquely your own and a refreshingly laid-back attitude towards the material: obviously enjoying the stuff you enjoyed, obviously cringing at the stuff you didn't, but never taking any of it too seriously. Can you talk about what you're going to be doing from here out, or would you rather hold that part of your life private?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, Bamboo, you'll be missed. You're one of my favorite reviewers/columnists on the site -- very level-headed and concise. Whatever you're off to do in the future, I hope it works out well for you.

Take care,

Tuor
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Much success to you in whatever you choose to do next, Bamboo. :)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4