• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Changing of the Guard

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jtron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for all the great writing! You've always been one of the reasons I read this site. Good luck doing whatever it is you're doing next!
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Nooooooo, Bamboo!!!

Best to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GDMaid Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Patlabor is one of my favorite shows, and the second move one of my favorite movies. Sometimes when scenes are just people talking it can get rather boring and uninteresting. But in this, they are some of my favorite scenes. I haven't heard much and not a lot of good about the live action Patlabor, but I wish we would get a chance to see that version of it too.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo was my favorite ANN reviewer. Best of luck to her but I can't say I am not sad she is leaving.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Will miss you, Bamboo. Thanks for watching so much flushable and shelf-unworthy anime so the rest of us didn't have to.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Thank You Bamboo! The personality that shined through in all of your work on this site always brought a smile to my face. You just seem like the nicest person ever. I will seriously miss you. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors!

Last edited by relyat08 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
You will be missed Bamboo. Hope whatever you are going to be doing will make you happy.

Though still hope you will attend ANN functions if you are still able too.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I can but echo the gratitude of your other readers. Your writing has always been a cut above, and you've consistently managed to pen opinion pieces that are both engagingly personal and reassuringly well-considered. I hope that you'll continue putting those qualities to work in your future!

...And really, do yourself a favor and sit down with Sketchbook. It's "Aria in high school" (there are even several Aria cameos!) but with an even better sense of place, a wealth of fantastic characters, and an overarching theme of gentle encouragement to the socially awkward that is, gosh, just the best. Episode 4 (storyboarded by Junichi Sato himself) is unquestionably the finest slice-of-life anime episode ever produced, a microcosm of the unique power of animation as a whole: the ability to expand an audience's mind by offering and integrating another perspective. Our protagonist Sora is placed alone on a rainy mountain with Nagisa, a minor character who has before been merely "that weird-faced girl with the fixation on bugs." As the episode goes on, she discovers the unique charm of Nagisa's entomological perspective on the world: grass is a tool, not just a decoration; low-flying birds are not anomalies, but indications of insect behavior and forthcoming rain. In one short sequence, perhaps my favorite 20 seconds of all time, Sora and Nagisa's perspectives briefly, miraculously converge as Nagisa lifts up a leaf to reveal a sheltering butterfly. No words are exchanged, no self-important philosophizing done; there is simply the silent wonder of two people experiencing the sanctity of the world in unexpected harmony. It's over in a moment, yet Sora (and the audience) will never be quite the same again.

That ability to appreciate other perspectives is the basic artistic impulse that drives creators and consumers of the very best anime, and it is, I fear, that very ability which may be lost when Bamboo moves on from Shelf Life. Thank you again for sharing your perspective with us all!
No Comment

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
So long, Bamboo. I've really enjoyed reading Shelf Life every week since I started going on the site. Thanks for making it always interesting.

I also thought the episodes of ANNcast you appeared in were great and you were a lot of fun to listen to. It's a shame you hadn't been on there in a while Sad , ah well, thanks for all the good times, and best of luck on whatever you do in your life.
Violynne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
This day just keeps getting worse. Thank goodness there's only two hours of it left.

It's never easy reading news someone you hold great respect for is leaving. I didn't like it the first time and I don't like it now.

I understand change is inevitable, and here's to hoping you have a great future, Bamboo.

Your fun attitude and genius comedy will definitely be missed. I'm not ashamed to say your columns have been one of the reasons I continue visiting the site, even though my anime viewing has waned.

You have inspired me to purchase titles I wouldn't have given a second glance to. Heaven's Memo Pad was one of them, and your review was spot on to how I felt. Probably one of my best "blind buy" purchases based purely on one opinion.

Here's to hoping you pop in from time to time, but if not, again, have a great future and good luck. You've certainly deserve it for having to deal with us anime fans.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, I loved how you never seemed to have become jaded after all these years. You always expressed unapologetic enjoyment for what you like and never sneering condescension for what you don't, and that made your words a joy to read. I wish you that joy ten-fold.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I personally disagree about the VHD Sentai dub "not being much better" than the Streamline version. As far as I'm concerned, the opposite is true. David Wald stole the show for me as Count Lee. While Brittany Karbowski's Larmica is more aggressive than Edie Mirman, I found it fitting and I didn't find her voice unlistenable at all. Dan is still a weak point, but Shannon Emerick is not as bad as the original Streamline dub. Everyone else does a great job, though. And even though John Gremillion's D wasn't what I had in mind for the character, it still works. Luci Christian was surprisingly good as Doris, and while Jay Hickman's haughty, drawling Greco was a bit strange, it did indeed provide a comic edge to the character.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Dear Bamboo, thank you for writing this column! I've been reading it for years, and one of my highlights of Otakon 2014 was when I got to meet you in person after the ANN panel. One of my favorite things you've done here was The Stream. Attempting to keep up with *all* the streaming anime available in North America every season was a great endeavor and was such a blast to read!
So long, and thanks for all the reviews!
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I have been a reader of this site for many more years than I have actually registered to comment at the forums, and I found your work to be one my main reasons for coming here. Your approach to writing and reviewing about the various anime you did was something I found very useful. When I say that it means that whether I agreed or disagreed with you in the end, you gave me the information I needed to make solid well informed decisions, and especially from a reviewer I can ask for nothing more important than that.

I will miss having your input into my anime decision, but as others noted life is change, and clearly you felt this is the time for yours to change away from here. May as deep as our loss be the depth of your gain in your new world/role and of those you interact with in it. You clearly touched a LOT of people here and deeply, and from all I saw well deserved, so that is why I worded this wish as I have.

Good luck, good fortune, a good life, and may we once again someday be graced with your presence in the future, and if not, know you will always be in so many of our memories for all you brought to us.

Thank You.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Take care Bamboo, I've been reading Shelf Life for quite awhile now. While I wouldn't say we generally share the same tastes, I found your musings entertaining despite that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4