• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heavy Object (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote

Heavy Object (TV)

Genres:: Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi, Military
Themes: War, Countries, Technology

Plot Summary: Objects are powerful, massive weapons that change the course of warfare and are manned by Elite Object pilots. An odd Elite girl named Milinda meets Quenser, a student who aims to become a Object mechanic, with the soldier-in-training Heivia on a snowy battlefield.
----------------------------------

Based on the light novels written by Kazuma Kamachi (Toaru Majutsu no Index), this got an anime adaptation! There are 9 volumes running right now so this can easily be adapted into a 2 cour. The PV looked sweet imo with the context of the objects and characters so far.

Hoping JC Staff will do justice for this show but I'm having good hopes for it. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 will air October 2nd, streaming provider has yet to be announced.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
My hopes are not high for much of anything J.C. Staff makes, at least in terms of animation quality. But then, I'm really basing that on their work on Shakugan no Shana, which was a good story and concept, but not a stellar visual experience when it came to high-velocity action. Have things changed any since then?

That aside, while I'm not crazy about the character designs here, I am impressed that someone chose to make use of the universal camouflage pattern in a show themed around war, even if it does kinda just look like a Photoshop texture overlay. It's a welcome break from the camp designs of most mecha flight suits.

But seriously: "Objects"? That's the best they could come up with?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:
Sooo, we get military and sci-fi warfare in the very beginning already along with some brief narratives. I think JC Staff did a decent job with the mechanical designs.

There's some fan service..so I wonder if the BD will remove the mist.
Funny to see the guys arguing about little things though. Milinda's voice is exactly how I thought would sound like. Also nice to see Baby Magnum animated.

I think the episode set up a decent amount of background and stuff. Also noticed that they have some stats and info on Objects (I think it's Baby Magnum featured in this one). I wonder how many of them will be adapted...

Froletia was also a pleasant sight to see. Overall decent episode, looking forward to more!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
All that I got from this episodes is that one of the protagonists is an Idiot who will do absolutely nothing to save someones life because he is debating about squeezing the one who is in the process of dying's boobs. It was funny for about a half of a second after that it was just, what the hell are you retarded and the girl saved herself with baka in then end he did nothing. I hope the character grows out of that ineptitude, stupid can be funny but never when someones life is on the line.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
They're even including the technical illustrations of the Objects, pretty nice. Wish it had better animation/CG, but oh well. I think I can expect good pacing and consistency in the animation department from JC Staff, at least, so I'm excited for what's to come.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

But seriously: "Objects"? That's the best they could come up with?

Likely a not so subtle reference to Objects from the term UFO, the general design of the titled Objects look less like any conventional weapon and probably would be more like something that a "Martian invasion" would try to conquer Earth with.

The show is a strange mix of the usual Rail/Dex style of character narrative within a post WW3 equivalent era.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the amount of exposition certainly makes it easy to tell it's from the same guy who wrote Index.

Decent start so far. I was kind of surprised that Quenser and the princess start off as casual aquantences. Usually these things start off with an over dramatic meet cute of ultimate destiny.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I think Heavy Object's going to be a keeper for me. Having 24 episodes is a bonus, since I enjoy the occasional longer series to look forward to over the coming months.

It's got that kind of Mechwarrior mixed with Armoured Core vibe, with all the different mech's shown so far. The action was also pretty good in the opening whist they tried to explain the plot to us.

Speaking of plot, that Froletia Capistrano isn't half bad if I do say so myself.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
Gatherum wrote:
My hopes are not high for much of anything J.C. Staff makes, at least in terms of animation quality. But then, I'm really basing that on their work on Shakugan no Shana, which was a good story and concept, but not a stellar visual experience when it came to high-velocity action. Have things changed any since then?

Maybe it would be worth your time learning more about their recent stuff than something from 3 years ago. Their most recent being Danmachi, Food Wars, Shimoneta, and Prison School. The real weird thing hit me in seeing that this was a J.C.Staff anime, there seems to almost be no pattern in the sort of things they have been doing recently.

Episode 1

It felt a little clumsy with the exposition. So far I think what got me a little interested was their commanding officer, it is a little off that she has to be a super hot 18 year old, but I thought that the idea that she would join them in their spoils to be kind of fun.

So far I am reminded of.... Argevollen (had to search for the name), and I think that is a bad thing. Odd but it has me feeling there is a chance that it could become quite forgettable. But how they use the characters may be the deciding factors. Less focus on boobs, like what was being shown as he girl was being constricted.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:34 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The real weird thing hit me in seeing that this was a J.C.Staff anime, there seems to almost be no pattern in the sort of things they have been doing recently.

It was pretty much a given that JC Staff would get this one given all the work they've done with Raildex and other Dengeki Bunko titles.

With all that steam I wasn't going to expect anything from the blu ray since JC Staff doesn't do nipples, but the Shimoneta blu rays have them so I guess they've finally got with the times.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
episode one

One one hand, I'm rather liking the casual conversations in the series. The whole barbeque plan was amusing and the characters all seem like they'll be good company, overall.

On the other hand, it's sense of humor definitely needs some work. Qwenthur's "can't touch the boobies" freak out was awful to start with and then it just went on.

Though, that second hand did give me an idea for an ecchi series. Our MC ended up letting an innocent girl die because he couldn't touch her breasts and from that day forth swears to touch as many as he can, for the good of humanity. Every squeeze is in loving memory of his lost childhood friend, what's-her-name.

Considering how large and seemingly clunky the mechs are in this series, I'm really curious how they're going to try to make battles interesting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Considering how large and seemingly clunky the mechs are in this series, I'm really curious how they're going to try to make battles interesting.

It would be interesting if they can convey what was kind of done in Sidonia where you can feel the tension of a battle from the cockpit or war room.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:48 am Reply with quote
Copied (with additions) from the preview guide thread for posterity:

Heavy Object was pretty cool in a lot of ways.

When you get down to it, the idea of Heavy Object is classic, real science fiction: that is, take some kind of counterfactual or potential way things may develop, and explore how that changes the world. I think HO's vision of how warfare and civilization may develop is unique and interesting. It's an interesting take to see that technology shifts us away from favoring total war, and instead take the form of clashes of small numbers of these colossi. And I think it pretty plausibly follows from the premise of said colossi being possible to build. I also really like how their design is not the standard humanoid mech, neither does it resemble souped up modern weaponry, nor does it make some stylized romantic reference to ancient technology. It's unusual. It's different. It looks weird to modern eyes and sensibilities. It's not something you would predict. That's what the future looks like-- generally, not specifically, mind you. The future is the one horizon we really can't see beyond. Something really beyond our understanding.

Just as weird as those things look to us, modern tanks and planes and that kind of thing would look really strange to someone even only 200 years back. Looking at them objectively they're pretty silly looking, certainly not particularly designed to be elegant or even menacing. But because we know what they are and have a history with them they become ingrained in our repitoire of imagery as symbols of destruction and power. Children in the time of Objects, rather than drawing dudes with lances riding horses or tanks probably instead produce crude drawings of domes with tons of barrels coming out.

And I love how it pokes at the fact that in our world a lot of scientific and technological development is funded for military agendas, rather than the more desirable pure urge to discover and create.

I really liked that Sword of Damocles thing. Really unique way of making reference that being a soldier is a risky proposition. Even peacetime can turn to combat pretty quickly, and the sword of death is always hanging over your head in some way. In universe it kind of makes sense as well. It's for the pilots to remind themselves that what they do is dangerous and keep them from getting complacent about it. Uneasy rests the head I guess.

It also plays up the whole 'doofy soldiers' thing, which I sometimes can like a lot (for example in Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Fullmetal Alchemist, and Venus Wars. This one's manifestation of it has two somewhat differently ditzy dudes in the form of 'thinking guy' Qwenthur and 'action guy' Havia. The actual Object pilot, Milinda, takes the role of the 'straight man'. The execution of this wasn't something I was the most fond of. The pair's antics weren't particularly funny or interesting, and Milinda is not really an ideal foil because has a rather flat affect, an effect of her belonging to that certain character archetype (I'm not sure what it's called, but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.)

On the other hand, all three of them have said some pretty smart things about their reasons for being where they are and their motivations and view of life. And that's really welcome.

Unfortunately, there were some real traffic jam moments where I found myself just kind of waiting for it to change scenes to something that didn't suck. For example, eff the belt constriction scene and everything about it.

In response to some of the reviews, I disagree with them hating on the exposition. To me, the first 5 minutes were the most interesting part of the episode by far. I'll never blame something (and almost always will praise it) for being complex enough that it requires explanation to understand. What I do blame things for (and will blame HO for if it falls into this) is going into depth of explaining setting and concept in the beginning and never doing so again, choosing instead to operate on a mundane level from there out (One series that stabbed me with this recently was Aldnoah Zero. It's come to be a bit of an assumed truth that having a lot of exposition in fiction is bad. I really don't agree with that. There's good exposition and bad exposition (and I thought HO's was pretty good), but the real key to me is that I'll take bad exposition any day over not having any conceptual content.
OH&S

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that in the face of some rather unfair criticism from some parties, that the reviewers (and 1 moderator Wink) on ANN were actually rather fair towards Episode 1 (with at least 2 reviewers willing to give it the benefit of the doubt). Because let's be honest, it wasn't a particularly stunning episode.

However, it couldn't be helped. Because its adapting a LN, it had to go through with its introduction episode. At the end of it, we know what Objects are and what effect they have had on the world and political geography/climate. We have our main duo and the reasons as to why they are on base to begin with. The emotionless pilot "Elite", the young and sexy commander and the old granny mechanic/engineer. This first episode was just going through the rounds of illustrating the dull life on base in an era of clean wars. That said, the fanservice overstayed its welcome and was poorly done.

I'm just going to quote a brief passage from the novel about the end of the episode:
Quote:
spoiler[
“Yeah,” Quenser said. “As long as we have the Object, even those dulled by peace like us can fight a war.”
Quenser’s words there addressed one truth of the world.
It was true as long as they had the Object.

A day later they would know.
They would know what kind of hell awaited soldiers utterly dulled by peace once their Object was destroyed by an enemy Object.
Froleytia had said that they merely had to raise the white flag if they lost.

However, she had also said something else.
No treaty has been formally made in that regard. ]

Now I'd like to pose a question before Episode 2 airs.

With said passage in mind when speculating about what's to come:

Aside from the exposition at the beginning (which was necessary), aside from the fanservice which overstayed its welcome in this episode, how could Episode 1 have been improved if the focus was to illustrate a dull life while saving the action (and the "Shit hits the fan moments") for the next one?

And for the next episode, what should it do (or notes it should hit) to improve your current perception of the series (with the knowledge that the fanservice takes a back seat for the rest of the mission)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10