• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heavy Object (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
^

First of all, please use spoiler tags when discussing the source material.

Second, to answer your question (which is a very interesting question IMO. I don't really often see that kind of question posed, in the form of "ok so given this first episode, this starting point, what do you want this thing to focus on the most?"

What I would have focused on more to improve ep 1 and its focus on everyday life is: have more conversation about the main characters' home lives, and everyday operations around the base, rather than going to hunt a moose. To me, I'd rather things not be afraid of being boring and have characters have more serious and meaningful conversations with each other rather than trying to be funny.

What HO can do to improve my perception of the series is to continue to conceptually explore the idea of the way Objects changed the world, and the way people's thinking and society's decision making is different in a world that has them, as well as exploring the political structure of this new future, and I guess in general going into what people and things are like here. Go more in depth about how these things work physically and what was the process and history behind their development. Focus on the characters thought processes and motivations, have interesting conversations where nuanced and difficult decisions are getting taken, and have the characters personalities and life philosophies factor into all of this in an interesting way. I like it when characters have motivations and reasons for why they do what they do that are deeper than just 'my emotions say that this is what I should do'.

Or above all, surprise me! Go somewhere unique that blindsides me from left field! (and I mean something with depth here. Just plain wacky and stupid doesn't really surprise me) I always want to be exposed to content and ideas that I didn't anticipate.

In other words, I want this thing to go right for the Real Stuff and not just end up being some over-designed characters twirling pipes and shooting moose. Maybe I'm asking too much of this thing, but I'd like to think it could actually deliver on at least some of that.
OH&S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
First of all, please use spoiler tags when discussing the source material.

Whoops. I'll keep a note of that (to put spoilers around even the most basic non spoiler novel content).
Galap wrote:
Second, to answer your question (which is a very interesting question IMO. I don't really often see that kind of question posed, in the form of "ok so given this first episode, this starting point, what do you want this thing to focus on the most?"

The other option would be to stubbornly defend Episode 1 but the anime community as whole has reacted to it in rather predictable ways. I can only pose this question because Heavy Object is a big departure from other conventional mecha anime (Aside from the mecha designs). It should become apparent halfway through the season as to why it's different (ignoring the fansrevice obviously). I thought that now is a good time than ever to gauge reactions and expectations for the series before the fun begins.
Galap wrote:
What I would have focused on more to improve ep 1 and its focus on everyday life is: have more conversation about the main characters' home lives, and everyday operations around the base, rather than going to hunt a moose. To me, I'd rather things not be afraid of being boring and have characters have more serious and meaningful conversations with each other rather than trying to be funny.

I suppose I can agree with that. It's a direct weakness of being a light novel adaptation. You do eventually learn more about the pasts of the main characters and the commander but it doesn't really have much of a bearing in the first mission that is presented. Maybe it would have been better to incorporate scenes later in the series as better introductions to the characters but I thought that Havia and Qwenthur's conversation in the beginning about what they're doing here on base did the job right (if not surrounded by more exposition). Right now they are basically no-name unremarkable soldiers who don't even need to stand on the battlefield as long as their Object is functioning.

Everyday operations are also fairly moot. It's clear that even the commander is as bored as Qwenthur and co. The only place that would seem like there are things happening is the Object Maintenance Area. The fact that Havia and Qwenthur even have time to go hunting moose or ice-fishing shows how much action is going on at the base. Going on a tangent here, Qwenthur's scene in the maintenance area about him learning about Objects is probably the only other place where any large amount of exposition should be excused. He's come to the base to learn all about Objects and he is having his first close up inspection of one.
Galap wrote:
What HO can do to improve my perception of the series is to continue to conceptually explore the idea of the way Objects changed the world, and the way people's thinking and society's decision making is different in a world that has them, as well as exploring the political structure of this new future, and I guess in general going into what people and things are like here. Go more in depth about how these things work physically and what was the process and history behind their development. Focus on the characters thought processes and motivations, have interesting conversations where nuanced and difficult decisions are getting taken, and have the characters personalities and life philosophies factor into all of this in an interesting way. I like it when characters have motivations and reasons for why they do what they do that are deeper than just 'my emotions say that this is what I should do'.

Very interesting expectations there. I can confirm that the series does touch on a lot of the things that you are hoping for. On the other hand I'm not sure if it will go into the amount of detail required for people to be truly satisfied with it; that remains to be seen. In particular, the political structure of the 4 world powers that now occupy the world is quite quirky and zany in a way that shows all the hallmarks of Kamachi Kazuma's writing. It's an interesting world, that's for sure.
Galap wrote:
Or above all, surprise me! Go somewhere unique that blindsides me from left field! (and I mean something with depth here. Just plain wacky and stupid doesn't really surprise me) I always want to be exposed to content and ideas that I didn't anticipate.

In other words, I want this thing to go right for the Real Stuff and not just end up being some over-designed characters twirling pipes and shooting moose. Maybe I'm asking too much of this thing, but I'd like to think it could actually deliver on at least some of that.

Well, you've set a quite a high bar. I'll just quote Theron's review's opening paragraph here:
Theron wrote:
Let's be clear about one thing up front: despite what the name of the series and its advertising blurbs might suggest, this is actually not a mecha series – or at least not a conventional one, anyway. If you come into it expecting to see yet another tale about young people operating giant humanoid combat suits, you'll be only partly correct. The “suits” are instead massive, often spherical armored balls of death bristling with weapons; the one depicted in the screen shot is fairly typical.

He's quite right. Though not in the way he thinks. Yeah the Object designs stand out (like they should) but the main character of this mecha series ISN'T the pilot but a combat engineer. Instead of the MCs happening upon a miraculous giant mecha that they can use to change the outcome of the battle completely, the start of the series is marked by the destruction of their own mecha before truly getting into the meat of things. I've read other people's amusing predictions about the MCs acquiring another Object and piloting that instead (something that is impossible due to the differences between regular people and Elites which pilot them) and outright dismissing the MCs as rubbish otherwise. It shows how the expectations of other mecha anime are rooted well within them. I'm interested in seeing how their opinions change throughout the season once they realize what beast they are dealing with.

I'd also like to bring up something that Zac said in his review. He referred to Heavy Object as a show for 'military otaku'. I'm not quite sure about what the term refers to but I don't think I'd use that term to describe it. Rather than being a show for military otaku I'd say it's a show for people who admire engineering in the context of sci-fi. Considering that Kamachi's previous (but still ongoing) series is A Certain Magical Index then there's a different audience than military otaku in mind. But of course, they can join in on the fun as well when it gets started.

The question I leave off with is this: What were the core strengths, motifs and themes of A Certain Magical Index? Specifically think about the MC, Kamijou Touma. What his ability was. What kinda of opponents he had to face. What kind of strategies and thinking he had to use in order to achieve victory. Heavy Object is a mecha anime in the same vein all the while being a cross between Metal Gear, MacGuyver and spoiler[David vs Goliath].
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I feel as if I need to watch the second episode before making any judgments on this show. Episode 1 had far too much exposition for me to really enjoy (and this is a coming from a guy who enjoyed Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere). The interactions between the characters felt somewhat stupid. The whole situation with the belt being one of the scenes that gave me a bit of a negative impression. It felt like a terrible attempt to create some humor which really didn't work out for me.

OH&S wrote:

And for the next episode, what should it do (or notes it should hit) to improve your current perception of the series (with the knowledge that the fanservice takes a back seat for the rest of the mission)?

I guess the show sort of did something that slightly improved my view of it at the last few minutes with the burnt up bodies of dead people laying around. I think Galap explains it well. How has warfare changed with the introduction of Objects? Are there less deaths, etc.? If so, is it really the case? That;s where the last scene really drew me because it seems to imply that war hasn't really changed at all. The fighting methods may have but the consequences it has on people's lives didn't (at least that's the impression the last few minutes gave me).

The show definitely has promise but all the exposition in the beginning and Qwenser's rambling about boobs didn't help my impression of it. But I'm definitely willing to give it a chance.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Quenser definitely has an unhealthy obsession about having to wrangle with his conscience about this girl, but that seems to be a funny part of his character for me. I'm digging the Major too, she's got everything under control. Big battle happened here at the end, I can't wait to see what's going to happen in the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Well I think this episode was better than the first one. First, we got action action in the first half with sci-fi warfare. They really got the point across that Objects are among the strongest technology on the battlefield.

I guess it's safe to say that the show took on a more serious turn.
Frolaytia also shows more of her tough side....

ED theme song is cute :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
episode two

Such a massive improvement over episode one.

The battle between the Objects was pretty short. I assume that later battles, once the characters are re-Object'd, will create opportunities for longer fight. In any case, the subsequent on-foot adventure was good and seems to have established the level for how it's handling the violence and brutality of war.

With how much poor Qwenthur seemed to freak out about touching the poor Princess's breasts in episode 1, I half expected him to turn himself in to the enemy as atonement (and diversion) after accidentally touching them, but that was not to be (mercifully).
headhugg1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, while watching episode one I was intrigued with the quality of the animation, character designs were interesting, and backgrounds looked really good. However, while I was watching (you all know the part) I found myself skipping through to get back to the story.
In episode 2 I found myself doing more skipping, long walks in the snow, a lengthy monologue about humanity (and subsequent loss thereof) = yawn-fest. I'm not sure if they are preaching to preteens or just don't know how to keep a tight story. This is surprising to me as I can usually count on Funimation to put forth a quality product. Maybe I'm not the target audience on this one.
So, after watching episode 2, I'm going to save myself from this script and skip the rest.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I recently read an article online about the rules of war, more specifically it was about war crimes typically committed in video games unknowingly. So the episode had me thinking about how big of a deal it is for the enemy to have continued to fire on them after they "raised the white flag". I think the first episode said something about the rules of war going out the window with Objects introduced, but you would think such overwhelming power of the Objects would mean the rules would only be further be enforced. Rules that are meant to make war have as few unnecessary deaths as possible once a battle has been decided. About responsibilities of the winning party with POWs. I also recently heard an interesting case from a past war when it was necessary for submarines to do something once beat ships which lead to some messy situations people accidentally bombed an enemy submarine who was trying to make sure a crew were saved from sinking. Although again this should be a total opposite situation.

Enough about hypothetical war crimes, the episode was kind of cool. Kind of looking for a comparison, I was kind of reminded of the feeling I got from watching Pacific Rim with the bulky machines. Maybe helped by the thought came that the nickname of the Object sounded like something from that movie, or something like Sucker Punch. I am interested for more battles, but preferably if they don't make the enemy too cartoonishly evil.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

A bit of a predictable episode imo but still nice to see considering that they were able to take down Water Strider, an enemy Object. Even defeating an Object is a feat in itself. Gotta give some credit for the main guys to do just that.

Anyways, this arc establishes the main concept of the show. Expecting to see more action in the future with political affairs and sci-fi warfare.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
A bit of a predictable episode imo ...

In spite of that I was more impressed by the story than I had thought I would be. The concept they relied on is actually plausible .. that technology had taken the thinking about warfare to a place where the command neglects critical security. (leaving thespoiler[ printed maintenance manual lying around in an unlocked facility?] Really?) The part that is harder to believe is that future weapons engineers wouldn't have had greater safeguards against sabotage.

Odd to see the awards ceremony in civilian formal dress rather than formal uniforms. But whatever.

Turned out to be fun so for me its a win.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:25 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

That moment when you have sabotaged the unstoppable and watch it explode. Well it felt a bit like taking out a Scarab when I played a lot of Halo. The legs thing probably helped.

So they won, but right when they think they are out they get pulled back in. I did not remember them saying earlier that their commanding officer was a "Japanophile". Good for some mention of rules of war, like with POWs.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
episode three

Everyone survived the Object exploding? I'm not sure why they were so afraid of those main cannons, they're clearly pretty durable folk in the future.

That aside, my biggest question about the episode is to what extent their exact actions are known to the world at large. After all, if the Faith Organization (and the other powers that be) are aware of exactly how the giant was fell, then you'd imagine they'd take actions to prevent anything similar in the future. This leads me to wonder why the brass thinks they can pull something similar off again, which seems to be the hope.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Everyone survived the Object exploding? I'm not sure why they were so afraid of those main cannons, they're clearly pretty durable folk in the future.

I sort of wondered about that as well but supposed that the scuttling charges were internal and mostly contained by the hull. And it wouldn't do to have any of our three main characters buy the farm just yet. And the over-emotional enemy commander had to live long enough to regret his sins.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Mm, thrilling episode I guess. We got both land and water action.

Also, Object specs for the Tri-Core:

Is it just me or are these Objects getting more extensively structured with their designs?

Decent episode with the way they operated. It looks like our Elite Princess is back in action with Baby Magnum again. Lol, for some reason, I can't help but giggle a bit when raining bullets came upon the guys lol.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Does someone actually want them dead? Expecting them to actually take on the new Object is insane to think they could just pull it off again. It kind of feels like someone did not like the idea Objects would be looked down on so they were expected to do something practically suicide. Yet they are somehow managing, I guess from some neat toys, but at least they could have been given helmets and a better radio. Maybe something to help them swim with heavy equipment.

It looked really cool the damage they were able to do with the explosion, before revealing it did not take the Object out. As a gamer, the whole thing does make me think of some shooters I play where the mission is to sneak in and set explosives, in that way it is kind of fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10