• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heavy Object (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Hard to see how Qwenthur is going to turn this one around.

That would be easy. Something in his backpack absorbed the bullets, very possibly all the plastic explosive he carries. Shocked That stuff usually doesn't go off with impact. He likely was knocked out by the impact though.

Not so sure about the girl, it depends on plot requirements. Homesick boy is likely a goner though since the spy type went after him with a knife.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 18:

So they survived, kinda predictable but I'm glad those shots weren't fatal. This has honestly been the most thrilling arc so far imo of the season though and possibly my favorite.

Not only is the weather at an extreme level but the amount of danger the team is facing really tests the limits of their ability. Hmm, Qwenthur and Charlotte's professional relationship go better I guess.

Glad to see the boys reunite as well.
Ah another cliffhanger..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
We need to get through all this war stuff so we can get to the fun. I can't wait to see a confrontation between Qwenther, TV girl and the Princess. Laughing
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Ep 18
I can dig the idea of what this arcs conflict is going for, but still it is executed in a questionable manner with the same complaints of the previous arc.

Miss "Idol Reporter" seems to be shady but weather or not she turns out to be a spy or narrative red herring we shall wait and see.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Miss "Idol Reporter" is quite clearly Qwenther's childhood friend. The daughter of the ruined noble family that his father took in. However she doesn't seem to be as grateful as she should be.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:32 pm Reply with quote
That's some pretty fine motor control from that mech. Shocked

I really didn't get the reasoning behind trying to shoot the civilian. Wouldn't it have been better to chase her down or try to talk to her before shooting at her? You know, since you're sneaking in and don't want the sound of gunfire echoing throughout the mine? Kill first, deal with the consequences later didn't seem like the optimal response to me.

Also, if you're going to shoot someone in the back to kill them, go for a head shot, instead of hoping for enough penetration through 10 inches of backpack and gear. Unless he had a reason to blow his cover and keep them alive?

The bit with Havia threatening to kill Qwenthur went right over my head.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The bit with Havia threatening to kill Qwenthur went right over my head.

Havia was testing Charlotte.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:18 am Reply with quote
Not that I am finding too much of a problem, but as much as Charlotte is there to stop possible war crimes, she kind of shot at a likely unarmed civilian who had a medkit. I have not been to war or anything, but I am pretty sure proper protocol should have called instead to telling the girl to stand down instead of straight up trying to kill her.

Damn that they killed off another two characters. I had the thought that nah they will be fine, main anime characters can survive something like that, but I realised they were not. I would be happy if they did not kill off the last characters.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:28 pm Reply with quote
^
Was it confirmed that Charlotte is interested in war crimes, specifically? My impression was that her stated focus was on military protocol, and given how cynical the series is about these sorts of things, I had figured this was inwardly directed and focused on things like contraband, disorderly conduct, etc.

I'm wondering the intelligence failures (both regarding the situation with the mine and the capabilities of Wing Balancer) will be addressed in the arc at all. Either as a straight failure or as being somehow orchestrated (since there are spies afoot, after all).
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19:

And that wraps up this arc! I actually thought it was thrilling despite how predictable it was. The Object duel felt more technical than on a personal level before. In the meantime, it looks like they managed to survive this battle but the ultimate war is still far from over.

Charlotte also shows some of her softer side too.

Also, that girl (I forget her name) who they originally mistrusted definitely played a prominent role this episode to help Havia, Qwenthur, and the others.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Been wondering, did they mention whether or not Wing Cannon was an automated Object? Or did it have a pilot and was just never brought up?

Because it felt odd to not see banter between both pilots unlike the other episodes.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
@Philmister978

Melinda was rather startled when Ohhoho contacted her during their duel. It is likely that the banter is not common. In that case they had met earlier under neutral circumstances in Australia.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Ep 19
At the very least Heavy Object can still satisfy with action pieces, as for the character drama this round it simply scrapes by.
This arc continues with the weakness of recently introduced characters and trying to bet the audience will be as invested in them as they would the primary cast.

At least for my viewing experience, the fate of Nameless fictional refuges simply do not move me, without establishing them as at least side characters it is betting on some sort of "universal empathy" that I feel SOMETHING for these fictional group of characters which frankly falls flat and somehow I should be euphoric that they got away in there secret submarine base.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Philmister978

Melinda was rather startled when Ohhoho contacted her during their duel. It is likely that the banter is not common. In that case they had met earlier under neutral circumstances in Australia.

That didn't really answer my question about Wing Cannon though.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
@Philmister978

They didn't say. However, since there has been no mention of an automated or remote controlled object so far, I'd assume it was manned. An object that could be run by an AI would be something of a deal changer. One operated by remote control would be subject to hacking or signal blocking. As it was they were able to hack the targeting information that was provided locally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10