• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Concrete Revolutio (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
This show very much expects its audiance to have a working understanding of anime genre tropes and history to get the most out of it.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
Well episode three had me confused but I had an understanding somewhat at the end. You really have to pay attention to what's being said in this show or else you are going to miss a lot. The good thing about all the episodes is that they are not really connected, at least not in any chronological order. That in itself so far prevents people from missing out on anything seemingly important from previous episodes. Although it was interesting to see that there was no hard ending to episode three, which left it kind of open with the two guys fighting at the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Did this show just go full crazy? I think it did with the way those beasts went berserk. I wonder if there's any way to fully control them...

With Jiro's power, there's some hope but I don't think he even knows the full extent of his abilities. Overall though, I think this episode just too a rather bizarre twist all the way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
This episode was a lot better than the previous ones. This is largely because it actually gives the story time to develop and doesn't jump all over the timeline.
maoyen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
This episode was a lot better than the previous ones. This is largely because it actually gives the story time to develop and doesn't jump all over the timeline.

Really? This had the most time jumping of any episode so far.

It took me a long time to wrap my brain this whole thing, because So much stuff was happening at once. That said, this was a good episode. I feel like this show is getting netter as it goes along.

Last edited by maoyen on Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:
Really? This had the most time jumping of any episode so far.

I think what he meant was that this one didn't keep going back to different timelines, it went forward almost the entire time, if not entirely.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
^
The episode identified itself as a part 1. I'm expecting there to be a leap to the post-Bureau-Jiro time frame in part 2. Especially since it seems there's a lot of stuff in this episode for Jiro to have future revelations about.

I liked that we got to see meaningful interaction between Jiro and Emi. Here's hoping for more - I really enjoyed their interactions. They seem to work well as a couple but don't have the same mindset, which creates all sorts of interesting potential.

I'm interested in how the overall pacing is going to be since Jiro's chafing with the Bureau within the "before" time frame is already getting rather heated.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I think what he meant was that this one didn't keep going back to different timelines, it went forward almost the entire time, if not entirely.

Yeah, the progression was linear. They didn't jump back and forth between 41 and 46 and attempt to tell two halfs of the story at once.

Sure it still feels rushed and has lots of WTF moments, but it was an improvement.

HelloBucket wrote:
I liked that we got to see meaningful interaction between Jiro and Emi. Here's hoping for more - I really enjoyed their interactions. They seem to work well as a couple but don't have the same mindset, which creates all sorts of interesting potential.

Are they even a couple? We only have Kikko's word on that and she might be misunderstanding. She's the one behind this kaijuu incident too so can she even be trusted?
maoyen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
For people that are confused, here's all the current events laid out in order: http://anitay.kinja.com/making-sense-of-the-concrete-revolutio-timeline-so-far-1738566900
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Are they even a couple? We only have Kikko's word on that and she might be misunderstanding. She's the one behind this kaijuu incident too so can she even be trusted?

I doubt Kikko would get that wrong since it seems they're openly dating. Plus, they do feel like a couple to me (in episode 4, at least).

Emi has been kind of mysterious from the get go so I never got a trustworthy vibe from her, even before the events of episode 4. On the other hand, this is clearly a show with a lot of grey morality so if we're not trusting Emi are we trusting anyone? Jiro's our main character, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's a moral center.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:20 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
I doubt Kikko would get that wrong since it seems they're openly dating. Plus, they do feel like a couple to me (in episode 4, at least).

Openly dating in what sense? Came across to me that she actively flirts with him and he doesn't react to it at all. There is a two-shot of them in Jiro's room but it's far from coupley. He grew up with her so it's natural they're close, which would make it easy for Kikko to misunderstand.

Then again, he actively blushes at her in Ukyo form so I guess there's that.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Man, I loved the little snips of the heroes of the world. Earth-Chan's a total Astro Boy. And that Giant Robot from the OP looks to be part Tetsujin 28 and part Gold Lightan. And of course Rainbow Knight who's a Kamen Rider. I really want to know more about that team looking group. Cyborg 009 or Gatchman maybe? I really hope we see more of all these guys.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I am not sold on the idea that Jiro and Emi are dating. Rather we saw here that Emi is indeed a fox youkai that although she did have a child like form too, she has not really aged at all since Jiro was a child. It is a misunderstanding to think that the two of them grew up together, that her relation to the foster father is instead of a work partner, and to some extent also at least a more elder sister role to Jiro.

Took me a bit longer than it should have that Earth-chan was obviously Astro Boy. Through the whole Kaiju thing I was thinking about sending in the Jaeger.... I am totally going to have to watch Pacific Rim again.... wait I only have Pacific Rim on DVD! Okay, tomorrow I am getting it on BD, guess I will make do with the recent Godzilla instead.

Sure the series jumps a bit with timeline, but I have plenty of experience with this sort of thing already that it is not too hard, and simply how some things are. Like the series is a puzzle that engages the audience in putting it together, and that still each episode is telling one story, only they are often placed different to events of other episodes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Another crazy week of Beasts and chaos..

Feels like all hell just broke loose in the city.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
episode five

I'm very surprised that there wasn't any jump to the scarf Jiro era in this. Also, very interesting to see one of Daishi's compatriots plotting against the Bureau - it seems that the little triumvirate he belongs to are either not all on the same page or are playing a much larger game.

It's nice to see the Jiro/Kikko/Emi trio that seems to be the core cast of the series slowly coming together. I'm especially curious, now, about how Kikko and Emi are different in the future. We've seen some moments of actual substance from future Jiro but almost nothing from the other two.

Kikko is painfully adorable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9