• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Punch Man (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Season 1: One Punch Man (TV)
(Side Story 1) OAV: One Punch Man (OAV)
Season 2: One Punch Man (TV 2) (discussion starts here)
(Side Story 2) OAV: One Punch Man (OAV 2)
Season 3: One Punch Man (TV 3)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 28 volumes, written by One, illustrated by Yusuke Murata)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio:
Season 1: Madhouse
Season 2: J.C. Staff
Season 3: Pending

Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction

Themes: aliens, cyborgs, gore, idealism, martial arts, monsters, parody, revenge, satire, superheroes, superpowers, supervillains

Plot Summary: Saitama started heroing as a hobby. Then one day, after years of training, he lost all his hair, but became indestructible and gained the might to defeat any enemy in just one punch. After witnessing his power, a young cyborg named Genos anoints himself as Saitama's disciple in hopes of attaining the same strength and so-called "wisdom" as his master.

They join the Hero Association in hopes of gaining rank, prestige, and notoriety (and money), but also meet an assortment of other eccentric characters, as they battle to defend justice and defeat evil. However, what Saitama truly wants is a challenge, or some kind of excitement, to beat his overpowering boredom.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: October 4, 2015 (Sunday)
Available on: FUNimation, Pluto TV

Season 2: April 9, 2019 (Tuesday)
Available on: Hulu

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 12 episodes
Season 2: 12 episodes

Total: 24 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to Tony K.'s post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

- Season 1

Episode 01: The Strongest Man
Episode 02: The Lone Cyborg
Episode 03: The Obsessive Scientist
Episode 04: The Modern Ninja

Episode 05: The Ultimate Mentor
Episode 06: The Terrifying City
Episode 07: The Ultimate Disciple
Episode 08: The Deep Sea King

Episode 09: Unyielding Justice
Episode 10: Unparalleled Peril
Episode 11: The Dominator of the Universe
Episode 12: The Strongest Hero

OP1 (w/ Lyrics): "The Hero" by JAM Project
ED1 (w/ Lyrics): "I'll Find It Before the Stars for You" by Hiroko Moriguchi

-Season 2

Episode 13: The Hero's Return
Episode 14: The Human Monster
Episode 15: The Hunt Begins
Episode 16: The Metal Bat

Episode 17: The Martial Arts Tournament
Episode 18: The Monster Uprising
Episode 19: The Class S Heroes
Episode 20: The Resistance of the Strong

Episode 21: The Troubles of the Strongest
Episode 22: Justice Under Seige
Episode 23: The Varieties of Pride
Episode 24: The Wiping of the Disciple's Butt

OP2 (w/ Lyrics): "Quiet Apostle" by JAM Project
ED2 (w/ Lyrics): "Even Without a Map, I'll Return" by Makoto Furukawa

-Season 3

Pending

I'm honestly surprised that this show got an anime adaptation. Was a matter of time I guess given the context and popularity of the manga. The series itself has great comedy so I hope Madhouse can capture that.

The preview shown so far are very nicely done and I like the VA choices for most of them. This is the show I've been hyped the most for Fall.

Last edited by Stark700 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
First episode is out now. Well it pre-aired without the OP theme song but still is 20+ minutes in length.

Overall, a strong start with very well coordinated movements and action. It had the type of energy and explosiveness thanks to the bold MC and his abilities. I also gotta give Madhouse some credit for their production quality in this for its character design. The OST was awesome too in terms of quality. Overall, strong start. I will likely rewatch the first episode again once an HQ version is out with the OP theme song.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I can definitely comprehend the main character's plights, because I had about the same enthusiasm he did for the entire episode. I giggled twice at all the jokes the anime threw at me (chin-kid and breaking the alarm clock), and about everything else had that "is this where the laugh track comes in" feel. The transition between the monsters were quite abrupt, I felt, but given how none of these villains seem to matter anyway I didn't mind much. The technical aspects do seem pretty impressive, with the animation being mostly really really fluid and the character designs really on-point. I didn't really like the OP or the ED, but the soundtrack in the rest of the episode was alright. Given how the Cyborg character seems major in some way I'm looking forward to that, because if it's just more of the main character doing this then I'm out.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Great episode. I still don't know how they can make a series about a superhero that can overcome anything in one punch... Nethertheless it was thoroughly enjoyable and just a bit mental.

The MC also looks exactly like Ikkaku Madarame from Bleach which is quite funny in its own right.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
episode one

The action sequences are very well animated but to be honest, they're kind of boring. I'm not sure how the MC's OP status is meant to create any more excitement for the viewer than it does for him.

That would all be fine if the show were funny... but oh my is that a miss for me. The only thing I actually found amusing was the Looney Toons-esque retreat sign left by the Subterraneans.

Still, the show may be worth watching just for the great combat animation.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
This is really stupid but WOW is that animation amazing! I'm on board just for that!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:17 am Reply with quote
A series of "huh"s for me from wondering to why Crabman was only in his underwear to One Punch Man complaining about Notatitan not wearing any pants to the sudden realization that this is an anime version of The Tick.

I love the Tick, he's funny... let's not talk about the sitcom but there are versions that understand the line between insanity and foolishness. This shows wants to be funny but, here's one issue, they combined the overpowered Tick with his boring sidekick Arthur. He's his own straight man?! He's crazy delusional and utterly boringly sane? What's with Buttface? Where's the cast? A cast? If monsters like Crabilante can pop every day, how is anyone still alive?

Let me guess, "it gets better". Then why didn't they start with that point and then do a "years ago" flashback? Even as it's neither necessary or funny? I don't even know how much of that actually happened or was a wishful dream.

My most concise thought while watching this thing was wishing that One Punch Man would just punch himself at the end; Put himself out of all our misery.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
The whole concept of a kid deciding to draw nipples on a crab man who cannot wipe it off because his hands a pincers, did make me laugh. It kind of felt like they were hammering the same thing again and again with him being OP, which I think means they want the drama to be something other than the uncertainty of the fights themselves.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
For those wondering how this series can sustain itself, keep in mind this episode collects the first 3 or 4 chapters of the manga, that mostly were stand alone to establish the core status quo of things. Past this point is mostly longer story arcs that start to expand the cast.

As someone who is a arguably a bit bias because he thinks One-Punch Man is one of the greatest comics on the planet right now, I can assure you that this series manages to not become one-note like you might think it does. The drama is primarily derived from everyone around Saitama.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Genos is freaking awesome and it looks like the episode spared no time showing off his abilities.

Same with Saitama this episode as well as we see him in action too.
The visual quality of this series still remains top notch which is definitely a pleasant sight to see. Idk why but I'm also starting to like that ED theme song...

GG Mosquito Girl. She never stood a chance.
I found it nice with robot's voice as well. The voice casting has been so far been impressive.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
For those not familiar with the source material but who have seen series from last season, then the closest series from last season resembling this is Overlord; both of these series feature impossibly strong protagonists in a world which does not have powerful beings of a comparable level.

Despite the power of his punches, it's possible our protagonist might (lottery odds probability at most) have lost to the mosquito girl if Genos wasn't around. It's ironic that even a single mosquito couldn't be killed despite Saitama's speed and ridiculous good hand-eye coordination.

This episode nicely encapsulates the core of the series: lots of action and plenty of laughs to go with it through use of incongruity and sheer absurdity.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
episode two

A major improvement, by my estimation. There's some real fights this time since we have a protagonist other than Saitama in play now. Funnier too - the jokes felt sharper and less lazy than the first episode's. Still some misses in that area for me - the whole Saitama getting bored during Genos's long winded explanation was just suitably boring.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:34 pm Reply with quote
LOL, I love it. It's almost everything I wanted Gintama to be after I saw how serious they could get.

I'm going to love watching the episodes swing from humor to serious to crazy. Twisted Evil Oh, and the muscular ikemen of course. Episode one wasn't all there until the second half. After that, episode two was exceeded what I expected after I read some of the manga. Very Happy

Edit: That Saitama vs. mosquito was absolutely the best ice breaker I've seen. I haven't laughed like that in a while when watching this genre.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:50 am Reply with quote
Episode two and I'm done with this mess.

It's like the series wants to be funny but doesn't know how so it just tries to look funny. At the point I was calling every beat - Zorak drinking a cup of coffee, pauses, "Beat!"; Whenever I watch this show, I'm always reminded of funnier shows and that mantis guy reminded of the original mantis- in the fight with the mosquito at the start of the episode should have warned me about what was going to come but I soldiered through it only to watch "manvovled" animals, set to the task of killing or terrorizing the masses- not really clear on that; villain motive seems to be a given in this series- put down by our gormless hero- a series of victims from either the school of Doctors Moreau or Brundelfly murdered by the real monster of the series.

At least that's what I get from him; He's more of a monster than the monsters and he needs to be stopped before he kills again. Just like the first episode, I'm rooting for the villains to kill him. Especially once he was planted and started Ticking. Err, saying meaningless non-sequitors during a fight because he's just that invulnerable... and crazy.

"Threat level demon" could have been funny but it wasn't done right; "Threat level"... ruffling through papers is heard... Uhh, emm. Chartuse."Chartuse? I'm not sure what that is but stay indoors... as usual." Like Sgt Frog's threat level "Beethoven", that in itself is not a joke, it's a set up for a joke and you have to build on it.

Also, I have this suspicion that I'm reminded of other superhero/monster franchises for a particular reason. "But it's not The City, it's just City Z. Completely different, unrelated and look, it's a Mole!" Original creator runs away...

And it's clear how they got the money for the action scenes as that was the worst bit of exposition I've ever seen; On purpose no doubt but it would have worked if they showed the characters instead. No, just show a dying cockroach, a wall, the sky... and on and on.... Oh, the panning I've seen...

Wait, on review, it was a pillbug and not a cockroach. I was completely wrong. It changes everything.

What was a pillbug doing in the City? Oh the mysteries, oh the wonderment, oh...I'm done.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:23 am Reply with quote
I lost it at the repeating scenic shots during the explanation. They really knew how to make it go on and on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11