• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Punch Man (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
episode six

Outside of a few cool moments, I was pretty bored for this one. It felt like a lot of story building for a show where everything just gets instagibbed.

On the upside, the city damage continuity was a neat touch. You don't see that often enough.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
@ Harleyquin: I assume that spoiler is from the manga? Anyway, unless it says spoiler[he pays rent], I stand by my "may be contributing" statement. I understand all the rest of his guilt.

As for the second paragraph, I'm not clear on what you're instructing me about. Does he only need to ever bag one monster/villain once in his career and he's set? I thought the idea was to move up in the ranks by performing such heroics publicly, so whether it was a week after signing up or a year is irrelevant. It should occur to him to report any monster/shoplifter he dispatches to improve his ranking. Of course they'd be skeptical about this one, but he had the proof.

I think he was deliberately hiding it so he could eat said proof. Maybe that's why he lied to Genos about where he got it, and was even more embarrassed when Genos figured out why he got it. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Still, how stupid is he? He (eventually) grasped that taking down Sonic would count, so why didn't he realize the nori monster would too?

I think it is because he has totally lost a grasp of what is a monster or threat. Sonic was so not a threat to himself that he did not realise that he was actually causing damage and being villainous. Saitama was able to take down a monster that could cause more damage than Sonic in just walking, without being told, to him Sonic is just some kid who is getting in his way.

He did not see seaweed Tangela as a monster rather than a free source of seaweed. He was relying on the news to tell him that someone was something a hero was needed for. I like to think he is pretty screwed up for a normal life because he is so different to others. He would probably be lucky if he was able to find another god like person that he could have a relationship with.

Taken me a little bit, but I am suddenly reminded of the move Hancock for the degree of separation between a superhero and those underneath them.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:33 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Still, how stupid is he? He (eventually) grasped that taking down Sonic would count, so why didn't he realize the nori monster would too?

I think it is because he has totally lost a grasp of what is a monster or threat. Sonic was so not a threat to himself that he did not realise that he was actually causing damage and being villainous. Saitama was able to take down a monster that could cause more damage than Sonic in just walking, without being told, to him Sonic is just some kid who is getting in his way.

He did not see seaweed Tangela as a monster rather than a free source of seaweed. He was relying on the news to tell him that someone was something a hero was needed for. I like to think he is pretty screwed up for a normal life because he is so different to others. He would probably be lucky if he was able to find another god like person that he could have a relationship with.

Taken me a little bit, but I am suddenly reminded of the move Hancock for the degree of separation between a superhero and those underneath them.

Agree with the statements above. Saitama didn't take Sonic seriously and only saw him as a villain when he looked at what he was doing (destroying the city from the sky) and made the mental connection that this was exactly what monsters did. During his amateur career he never took out humans so it took him some time to adjust the automatic pilot.

The scene regarding 5 days of leisure and 2 days of panic is instructive; he does indeed rely on the news to inform him of monster-level disasters which he can respond to. Now that he's a registered hero, Saitama thinks that doing what he did exactly as before would now make him famous, create fan clubs around him etc. The whole business about doing weekly reports to the association as a rank-C hero doesn't sit well with him (as seen from the period of introspection he had before Snek decided to crush him as a newbie).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
He did not see seaweed Tangela as a monster rather than a free source of seaweed.

I don't think I buy that, at least not for the entire interaction (probably his first inclination though). If that was his whole attitude, he wouldn't have felt any need to lie to Genos about how he got it. He would have just casually said he got it from some weird guy outside. If he felt like he stole it from him, that would motivate the lie, but I think if he thought of what he did as theft he wouldn't have done it. It was a monster, he saw it as such, so he defeated it and took the spoils. Then I think he lied about dispatching a monster because he thought if he reported it, either they'd take away his free seaweed or he'd get in trouble for personally profiting from what is supposed to be selfless heroism, or both. Smile

As for Sonic, yeah, he didn't see him as a villain, because he wasn't doing the specific things Genos told him to look for - purse-snatching, shoplifting, etc. Kind of the same reason he didn't notice how his own actions were scaring people - he was focused on a specific crime-set, and nothing else registered as villainous/monstrous.

My revised point (after dismissing him as stupid) was that after he broke through that fixation on specific crimes, he should have been able to see the nori guy as a reportable monster and proceed accordingly, except he had reason not to do so.

On another note, thanks to some misguided modding, I now know what was under Harleyquin's spoiler tag. Instead of clearly marking that spoiler as from the manga, they apparently edited my post with a spoiler tag, which, as speculation without having read the source or the manga spoiler, it wasn't. Adding the tag essentially turns "unless it says that" into "it says that." At least it wasn't a major plot point, afaik, but it's kind of a bizarre edit.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
He did not see seaweed Tangela as a monster rather than a free source of seaweed.

I don't think I buy that, at least not for the entire interaction (probably his first inclination though). If that was his whole attitude, he wouldn't have felt any need to lie to Genos about how he got it. He would have just casually said he got it from some weird guy outside. If he felt like he stole it from him, that would motivate the lie, but I think if he thought of what he did as theft he wouldn't have done it. It was a monster, he saw it as such, so he defeated it and took the spoils. Then I think he lied about dispatching a monster because he thought if he reported it, either they'd take away his free seaweed or he'd get in trouble for personally profiting from what is supposed to be selfless heroism, or both. Smile

Given the choice of telling Genos the truth e.g. "I've just beaten a monster composed almost entirely of Konbu seaweed. I've stripped it off him and am now using the harvest as soup stock" or fobbing him off with a vague half-lie about getting the stuff for a pittance at the local supermarket I'm inclined to go with the latter for various reasons; not least the embarrassment of going so far as to strip a monster of its outer covering for food and the fact later alluded to by Genos that Konbu seaweed is supposed to be good for hair growth.

I need to be more careful with the spoiler tags, the moderators get really sticky about being specific about the type of spoiler being concealed with the tags.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
See, even in your version, what he sees as the truth is that it was a monster. Smile

Well, even if you had properly ID-ed your spoiler as from the manga, the tag they added to my post made it all meaningless, at least for me, since I know what I wrote. Rolling Eyes
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
See, even in your version, what he sees as the truth is that it was a monster. Smile

The point I'm making was not that he defeated a monster and failed to report it, but that he punched an organism which could use Konbu seaweed as a living weapon, made a huge hole in an abandoned building whilst doing so and after all was said and done stripped the Konbu seaweed off the organism to bring home to make soup stock.

If I had swapped "monster" for "organism" in my last post, would you still be making the same comment quoted? Furthermore, if I were in Genos' shoes and heard Saitama (my revered teacher who I expect to learn from on how to be monstrously strong like he is) give this account I'd probably give him more grief with some kind of insensitive comment regarding his lack of hair, chide him for being such an unheroic cheapskate and reprimand him for not performing more stereotypical "heroic" actions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
No, because the choice doesn't need to be between such a long and detailed statement and "I bought it cheap." I already gave one equally short, simple reply he could have used (there are many others) if he dismissed it as a harmless organism or free seaweed, but he not only didn't give such a reply, he stopped to make up a lie when the basic truth wasn't incriminating. That is if he just saw it as free seaweed. To me his lie says he saw it as a monster (or that at least he realized in that moment that others would see it as one, which might have felt familiar after Sonic). Anyway, YMMV. I don't think it matters either way, but maybe it will.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
No, because the choice doesn't need to be between such a long and detailed statement and "I bought it cheap." I already gave one equally short, simple reply he could have used (there are many others) if he dismissed it as a harmless organism or free seaweed, but he not only didn't give such a reply, he stopped to make up a lie when the basic truth wasn't incriminating. That is if he just saw it as free seaweed. To me his lie says he saw it as a monster (or that at least he realized in that moment that others would see it as one, which might have felt familiar after Sonic). Anyway, YMMV. I don't think it matters either way, but maybe it will.

There are multiple ways to interpret Saitama's reply to Genos regarding the excess Konbu, but it should all become clearer once more story arcs have aired and viewers not familiar with Saitama get a more complete picture of what his average joe mentality consists of.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Nice to see Bang this episode and action + OST remains top notch. I think that OST officially goes well with Genos whenever he is in action. Genos' technological abilities just never ceases to amaze me when I see it. That freaking attack! And I find it amusing at how Saitama just leaps and opened a serious can of ass kicking.

Tanktop Tiger is a silly guy with his bro, Black Hole lol.
So much for their "big entrance".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
It's official, Saitama is more or less cursed with an image problem despite his ridiculous strength and abilities. He might claim not to be capable of flight, but his method of destroying meteors makes the line between autonomous flight and propulsion quite blurry.

So the Tank-Top tiger isn't as weak as he looks. He could survive Sonic's exploding shurikens but still isn't much good for anything other than big talk. I don't know if the original intention was to poke fun at the stereotypes commonplace in society (style over substance) but there's quite a bit of it in this episode. Fortunately for Saitama, the ones who are strong (Bang, Genos) recognise him for what he is. It doesn't hurt that Saitama has skin thicker than the walls he can punch through.

Saitama's old apartment before he was turfed out by the landlord survived the impact unscathed, does that mean his current residence is also rented or purchased with whatever meagre funds he has?

Slightly disappointed the animators decided not to spoiler[show off Bang's skills or explain the fifth disaster-level category to non-fans ] but these are really trivial. Next week is the sea-king arc and that's going to be fun to watch.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
Those guys are lucky that Saitama did not kill them by accident. Genos should have just called him from the beginning, clearly nothing has actually stood up as a physical challenge to him.

Was Saitama just unaware that the small bits were still a threat to people and they got lucky no one died, or was he really so good that he managed to get it to miss everyone? Well Saitama was clearly kind of unaware that the comet was even worth all the fuss.

So Saitama has had a disciple he has not much able to teach, a rival who is practically a non-entity to him, and perhaps now an old guy who could give wisdom who really not needed. I wonder if this Sea King guy will be something.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Those guys are lucky that Saitama did not kill them by accident. Genos should have just called him from the beginning, clearly nothing has actually stood up as a physical challenge to him.

Was Saitama just unaware that the small bits were still a threat to people and they got lucky no one died, or was he really so good that he managed to get it to miss everyone? Well Saitama was clearly kind of unaware that the comet was even worth all the fuss.

To be fair to Saitama, he has always held back against human adversaries. All of the monsters he's faced feel the full force of his blows (including the blown up muscle head in episode 1) whilst the few human adversaries he's faced get off with non-fatal injuries.

Despite his lack of public image and PR talent, he IS lucky when it comes to the serious business of being a hero. Genos said it was already a miracle that no one was killed from the aftermath of the meteor's destruction because of Saitama's method of attack. Had he and Metal Knight worked together (not mentioned but somewhere along the lines of getting Saitama to punch through the comet whilst it was further up in the atmosphere) then they could have avoided collateral damage to the buildings and city entirely.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Ah, the anticipated Sea King arc. Great to see the Sea King himself make the appearance! For some reason, I found the episode to be a lot more amusing than expected mostly thanks to Pri-Pri-Prisoner. What a flamboyant guy tbh.

Nice to see Sonic still being relevant in this show as well though. The OST used in this episode had an eerie feel to it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11