• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Punch Man (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I wish this didn't go into multiple episodes. It felt dragged out with nothing that important happening (there weren't even many jokes). No matter how built up this Sea King is as a threat we all know Saitama is just going to beat him easily. They should just get it over with and move on to the next thing.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Although the result of the fight against the Sea King isn't going to be in doubt, what happens afterwards should be the main focus since it's quite clear Saitama will never shake the suspicion that he profits from the endeavours from others. After all, why is someone so strong only a C-class hero?

What that says of the society Saitama lives in or if it's a mirror of global society is up to viewers to decide.

As for the episode itself, this episode brings back the licence-less rider (Top of the C-class tree). Although not very strong from the looks of things, he shares the same philosophy as Saitama; namely "If heroes run away, what's going to oppose the monstrous threat facing civilians". Saitama typically smashes his way through every obstacle, but being the ordinary person he is means the victories don't go to his head.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:03 pm Reply with quote
What is with this show and naked men? Laughing To be fair, they haven't showcased any since the first few eps, but today we had Flamboyant Gay Stereotype (he's so gay, he was put in jail for accosting men! Isn't that hilarious? spoiler[no, not really]) and Sonic strutting their stuff. Loved everybody's reactions to Sonic--Saitama thought he must've been caught in the bath, Genos just thought he was a pervert. Not that Sonic was embarrassed or anything, he took it all in stride. I guess if you're a guy in this monster filled world, you'd better be ready to be accidentally stripped at any time!

I'm split on this ep. On one hand, I liked it, on the other, there's really no reason to stretch this out if Saitama will just one shot the Sea King like he's done with every other monster. We'll see how they pace the next episode. Maybe there's a bigger point (or punchline) to all this.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
episode eight

Have any heroes actually died at this point? I feel like for all the craziness, there isn't that much actual risk for them in the world of One-Punch Man.

I'm going to agree with those above me that despite some great animation, as always, it was kind of a boring episode.
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:53 am Reply with quote
The only S-rank aside from Genos to actually come out and do their job was a convict who likes "attacking" men. Think about it, he broke out of jail to save people. Even if Pri-Pri-Prisoner's an unsavoury character, you've got to applaud that. Then there's Sonic, who's a villain, fending him off too (most likely for his own amusement, but still.) Meanwhile, you've got Amai Mask plugging his new album on a talk show instead of going out there to fight and the other S-rankers are nowhere to be seen. That's really sad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
Meanwhile, you've got Amai Mask plugging his new album on a talk show instead of going out there to fight and the other S-rankers are nowhere to be seen. That's really sad.

I guess the best only really put themselves on the line when up against something that is their responsibility, everything else is other time. And those who do try to tackle things outside of their responsibility can be criticised for being too aggressive or for having alternate motives. And then you have new youths who get put into taking care of the situations like Genos, and Saitama with Mumen Rider who look silly for really trying things out of their responsibility.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Guys like Mumen Rider, Saitama, and even Genos, are real heroes. They genuinely want to help people, and especially in the case of Mumen Rider and Saitama, they don't care if something is "out of their responsibility".

It is not the Hero's Association that determines whether or not someone is a hero. What the HA does is "officially" recognize someone as being a hero and try to organize those people according to HA's own wants and beliefs.

Mumen Rider isn't going towards danger to gain fame or to impress the HA: he's doing it, like Saitama, because he *wants* to do it. He does it because that's just the sort of person he is, and he'd do it even if no one saw or knew he'd done it.

Genos is similar to this, but he has ulterior motives for doing what he does, and he himself recognizes that Saitama's heroism is purer than his own, which is one of the reasons he respects Saitama as much as he does. I think Genos is *exactly* the HA ideal of a "hero", and Genos has no problem with this, but he himself knows that the HA does not match up to Saitama in either ideals nor in ability.

One of the things I like about this show is how it covers the various conceptions -- especially public conceptions -- of what it means to be a true hero. It juxtaposes people like Amai Mask and Mumen Rider: who is the bigger hero between them? Amai Mask is the #1 A-Rank Hero, but he is *far* less heroic than poor Mumen Rider, who is weak in body (comparatively), but mighty in spirit. These are things you wouldn't see addressed if you only were interested in how Saitama goes about putting the smackdown on the latest bad guy.

This is a much better series than I thought it would be from the preview blurbs. I'm really looking forward to how matters are resolved next week.
RightHandofAnime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I feel like there are going to be more "Heros' that are just in it for themselves than people like Mumen rider.

I think we all know how the fight with the Sea King and Saitama will go, but it got me pumped up seeing his reaction to an S class being beaten (which I assume he thinks is Genos)
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Mumen Rider isn't going towards danger to gain fame or to impress the HA: he's doing it, like Saitama, because he *wants* to do it. He does it because that's just the sort of person he is, and he'd do it even if no one saw or knew he'd done it.

Which begs the question of how the license-less Rider managed to maintain his #1 ranking in the C-category for so long. One can only do so many mundane good deeds before someone like Saitama shows up and does the overtaking in the credit rat race. Some of the more conventional "heroes" like the Tank-Top Tiger exceed the bicycle rider in physical strength and endurance yet are below him in the hierarchy.

Saitama's bald head and plain image are probably why he's had zero luck over the three years in earning public recognition (notwithstanding his ignorance of the Hero Association and its rules)
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Which begs the question of how the license-less Rider managed to maintain his #1 ranking in the C-category for so long.

Everyone else worth anything just took the chance to go to B or A class when they got to the top, probably. Mumem Rider makes it a point to keep himself at C.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:10 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:
Which begs the question of how the license-less Rider managed to maintain his #1 ranking in the C-category for so long.

Everyone else worth anything just took the chance to go to B or A class when they got to the top, probably. Mumem Rider makes it a point to keep himself at C.

Viewers get to test the above hypothesis next week; odds are the bicycle rider is going to face the Sea King at some point (and get hopelessly outmatched).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:44 am Reply with quote
A lot of the fight scenes this episode made me feel like I'd mistakenly cued up JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. :)
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Gotta quick question. Since Viz has this under their belt, does anyone know if this show is going for another "cour" or are they just going for 12 only?
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Gotta quick question. Since Viz has this under their belt, does anyone know if this show is going for another "cour" or are they just going for 12 only?

No announcements from Japan so far, so assume it stays at 1 quarter until further notice.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

No announcements from Japan so far, so assume it stays at 1 quarter until further notice.

Thanks for that piece info. Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11