• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Punch Man (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PikaMadness

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
I've watched only the first three episodes so far, watching the 4th rn. Upon watching the first episode, I was really really really disappointed, thinking it'd be an intense anime (I didn't know anything prior other than hearing it's great from a couple friends).

Watching episode 2, I honestly got excited when he was fighting those earthlings (i think that's what they're called lol) but was totally letdown with how that ended. But I think if one watched it knowing it included comedy, it's a great anime in that sense. And I don't think the art isn't thaaaat awesome. My friends keep saying the art is great over and over but I don't see it.

But by episode 3, I've accepted that it's a comedy and it's become quite enjoyable to watch.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Well that was amusing. Felt bad for Genos and License-less Rider for being beat up by the Sea King though. I don't think it was surprising that the Sea King got koed by Saitama so easily though lol.

Ah I can't wait for Genos' theme song to come out soon.., the full version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
The face-off between Saitama and the Sea King ended as expected. What's interesting is the reaction from the crowd after seeing the result.
Thanks to the jealousy of other heroes, Saitama is now permanently stuck with a reputation for profiting from the efforts of others despite his magnanimous gesture in taking a reputational hit to ensure all of the other heroes received the credit they deserved.

It's curious how the opinions of Amai mask and the ugly NEET at the stadium carry as much weight in Saitama's world as they do in ours. Just as well Saitama has almost no ego and is properly appreciated by those who know how strong he is.

The license-less rider actually comes out with lots of credit from this episode. Although he was well aware of his inability to cut it in the higher hero hierarchies he still did the "heroic" thing in standing up to the threat. Yet Amai mask and others like him don't give any recognition to the everyday good deeds of heroes like him.

At least the Hero Association despite its corporatist nature allows its members to progress through their own efforts. Saitama deserves his promotion on merit and if he was cheating his way to the top he would have been found out once his work as a B-category hero started in earnest.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Rip off Sword Art Online much, One Punch Man? Dur hur hur.

(Not a serious comment).
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
episode nine

The fight between Genos and the Sea King was great while it lasted. It's only a shame that the rest of the episode was so dull. I can't help but feel like most of the conversations in the show have huge amounts of redundancy which, I guess, is supposed to be funny? I'm not sure. I'm just finding it means whenever people open their mouth it tends to be boring unless it's a snappy one-liner.
maoyen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:18 am Reply with quote
finally caught up a little. If it seems like they're being cheap, it's cause they're preparing for what could be one of the best animated fights ever. Boros, man... Shocked Shocked Shocked
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Heroes. You know it really was not just Saitama who saved the day. Without all those heroes who risked their lives, Saitama would not have made it in time before those people got killed. Those weaker guys stood in front of the crowed while pissing themselves in fear, Genos took acid to protect a little girl, and Licence-less rider tried by himself while knowing full well he stood no chance in hell, but did so anyway. Saitama might have had the power to take out the bad guy, but that is all that crowd could see, while the actions of everyone else were being thrown away as anyone could have done it.

What is a hero? Is it the person who only has the power to have done something others could have done? Or is a hero also someone who does something to the limits of what they can, that actually did something that "anyone could do"? Is a police officer a hero, they are just doing the service they are paid for? Does that diminish their work if it was merely expected of them? But a hero really can be anyone who put themselves at risk in order to help someone else. How much does circumstances matter.

Saitama was not the only hero out there, but he had the power they wish they had at their disposal, and did what he can. He decided to be a hero not just to the public, but to the people that tried the hardest and would be ignored. A hero of heroes. Saitama right there was the hero they needed, but rather than putting himself as the hero they wanted, he instead made them the one they deserved.

Repeating comments, there was never any change in expectation of how things would go, even Saitama was disappointed. But everything else that happened was important. An entire conflict cannot be contributed to the last fight, that one punch.

Not sure if I said it before but I really love the OP song, I love how it so awesome both visually and by its song.
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Heartwrenching episode, as well as awesome, DuskyPredator pretty much summed my thoughts so I've got nothing really substantial to add to the conversation, but oh well. Seeing the other heroes put their life on the line, especially Genos and Mumen Rider, made my heart sink. Unfortunately, people don't always appreciate good deeds, so you get that ingrate in the crowd badmouthing their efforts. I guess you could make a case that he's not entirely wrong; when it comes to taking down villains to save people, results are all that matters, but still, what a jerk.

But that punch was sick. It was so powerful, even the storm was like "nah, I don't want any of that ****!" I never get tired of seeing Saitama wreck villains, it's glorious. And I feel sorry for Pri-Pri. Busts out of jail to save people and tries his best, gets slammed in the newspapers for being a failure.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
[quote="DuskyPredator"]Episode 9
Saitama was not the only hero out there, but he had the power they wish they had at their disposal, and did what he can. He decided to be a hero not just to the public, but to the people that tried the hardest and would be ignored. A hero of heroes. Saitama right there was the hero they needed, but rather than putting himself as the hero they wanted, he instead made them the one they deserved.
/quote]

Is Saitama the professional's professional or the professional who's a fraud because his actions don't correlate with the public image of one?

Viewers would probably agree with the former, the public in this episode and jealous heroes being the latter.

Viewers unaware of the source material won't know this, but spoiler[the tankoubon extra one-shot episodes explore the above theme more thoroughly. Especially the one featuring Saitama and the police station. ] If word is to be believed, the home release versions of this series WILL have the above and others animated so everyone arrives at the same playing field in the end.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:
Nice, Tatsumaki is back and in a pretty exciting way too. I think her VA did a decent job portraying her character.

I find Tatsumaki's interactions with Saitama was amusing. He thinks she's a lost kid lol. Priceless. So we meet more of the heroes altogether this time. Exciting. I gotta admit though, there's some weird individuals sitting around that table. That ominous fortune telling though...chills. Nice to see some of the other heroes spring into action!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
The start of the Boros arc which will end this adaptation for the quarter. Viewers can get a sneak peak/preview/bonus extra of Tatsumaki in action and why she's earned her rank within the hero association.

Since this is the start of the arc, there isn't much action to speak of (hence the Tatsumaki scene) before the main course is due. Seeing (nearly) all of the S-rank heroes assembled in one place might be interesting for some, but it's really about how Saitama and Boros are going to punch the lights out of each other in the upcoming episodes whilst the other heroes handle the alien ship's assault party on the ground.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Garou is finally mentioned by Bang Smile

I really really hope that when Garou appears in the anime, whether it's on the last episode of this season or in the next one, he would be voiced by Suwabe Junichi. I just can't see a better fit.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Some people say OPM is boring because we know that Saitama is always going to one-punch the snot out of every villain. But for me this story is less about that and more about Saitama finally getting the respect and acknowledgement of his peers and the public, and how that's going to come about, if it ever does. I eagerly await each episode to see how they're going to avoid giving him props, his reactions to things, and all the other social hierarchy machinations. Plus all the delightful characters and their names. Smashing through villains is just the icing on it all.

One has written a great story, but I wonder how he feels seeing his less-than-stellar artwork (though he is improving) transformed by Murata's craftsmanship. Would you be delighted or kinda depressed? Smile I suppose it depends on how objectively you view your own work (see Izumi's self-deception in Love Stage).
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

One has written a great story, but I wonder how he feels seeing his less-than-stellar artwork (though he is improving) transformed by Murata's craftsmanship. Would you be delighted or kinda depressed? Smile I suppose it depends on how objectively you view your own work (see Izumi's self-deception in Love Stage).

20,000 hits on average per day. Users even managed to back up all of the chapters uploaded when ONE lost them all following a PC crash. Murata is reworking his intellectual property, so there will be royalty payments for all of the published Murata tankoubons as well as sales from the animated adaptation. It doesn't look like ONE is losing out by any means especially since Murata is slowing down the pace of his work to accommodate the plotline on the original website.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
episode ten

I have to say, I'm rather glad the splitting/combining alien soldier thing is being fought by non-Saitama characters, because it seems too cool to waste on being killed in a single hit. Of course, no guarantees it doesn't get wasted right at the start of the next episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11