• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Beautiful Bones: Sakurako’s Investigation (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote

Beautiful Bones: Sakurako’s Investigation (TV)

Genres: Mystery
Themes:

Plot Summary: Shōtarō Tatewaki is a normal high school student with a serious demeanor who likes to show off his girlfriend Sakurako Kujyō. Sakurako is an extraordinarily beautiful woman in her mid-20s from a rich family who loves "beautiful bones." The two live in the city of Asahikawa in Hokkaido, and they get involved in various incidents regarding bones.
----------------------------------

An adaptation of the light novels that I don't think many people are familiar of.

After seeing the preview though, I can say that it looks quite gorgeous. This is also TROYCA's first independent anime project so it's a good chance to make an impression. The female protagonist also seems really cool. The concept of bones with mysteries could make this a rare gem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gatherum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
This could go very interestingly or very badly, depending on how grotesque Shōtarō is about showing off his beautiful mid-twenties girlfriend, and possibly on how Sakurako feels about it. My own girlfriend likes the idea of being put on a pedestal and shown off to others to a point, so I can relate to the concept, but I could also see it being very abused in an anime.

I like the "mid-twenties" idea though, partly because it allows us to escape from the typical high school drama mold, and partly because relationships like this sometimes open doors to compelling character studies (see Makoto Shinkai's The Garden of Words).

Damn, though... Dem backgrounds. You could make an anime version of Planet Earth with that kind of artistry!
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Wow that was beautiful. I mean both the character designs, visual quality, and metaphors.

I think the episode establishes that Sakurako is an expertise at handling with bones but seems to have some awkward social skills with others. I get that she loves analyzing bones though that includes both human and animals. I'm also kinda curious about how far her relationship with Tatewaki will develop as well.

Overall, pretty good episode and definitely looking for more.
Now I'm a bit hungry for shrimps...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Sakurako's kind of annoying. I think they're going for "gap moe" with her personality but it isn't really working for me. I like her when she's giving the boy orders and explaining mysteries, but the 180 she does when going "it's MY bone" like a child ain't very endearing.

Main character is kind of just there. He's given us exposition this time around, and made sure to tell his name like three times, but maybe if he had actually made me interested in his character I would've actually remembered it. Gonna go with "boy" for now.

Mystery of the week doesn't really seem like my kind of premise since I'm just generally not that interested in the genre and finding the culprit stuff, but this episode didn't really focus that much on that, so that was fine. Hopefully it keeps itself to the bones and not to other crime scenes though, that was kind of stretching it.

It does look really pretty, and I actually liked most of the exposition and overall theme, but I feel like this is a lot of potential that just didn't put itself to much use, squandering it little by little, making the whole thing just kind of passable at the end.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing the "girlfriend" thing happens later on in the series since Shotaro mentions in narration that he and Sakurako aren't in a relationship and that she already has a fiancee.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
episode one

Not sure how much of a mystery story this is really going to be. I'm getting the impression that, like Ranpo Kitan, it has that tag simply because that's the vague structure the story takes place in rather than it really being the core focus.

I'm perfectly fine with the mystery element not being exactly mysterious though - I'm enjoying the leads and their interactions so far and I can see that driving the series quite effectively.

Not entirely sure how much I'm liking the stylized Sakurako investigation mode/explanation mode scenes. They might grow on me they might now. I'm on the fence. Some lovely facial animation at points though.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Haven't watched this yet (waiting for roommate to get home, she wants to watch it more than I do), but can we change the title of the thread to at least include the official English title that it's being released under?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I'm guessing the "girlfriend" thing happens later on in the series since Shotaro mentions in narration that he and Sakurako aren't in a relationship and that she already has a fiancee.

I've heard that it was an edit done by some random person and it spread around major sites. The first ANN article of the show doesn't have any mention of her being his girlfriend. I'll quote it:

Quote:
The novel series revolves around Shōtarō Tatewaki and Sakurako Kujyō. Shōtarō is a normal high school student with a serious demeanor. Sakurako is an extraordinarily beautiful woman in her mid-20s from a rich family who loves "beautiful bones." The two live in the city of Asahikawa in Hokkaido, and they get involved in various incidents regarding bones.

Will get to posting my thoughts after I watch the first episode.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first episode was pretty decent. Sure, it's one of those mystery shows where the genius solves the case with a glance, giving the audience no chance to solve it themselves, but I don't necessarily hate those. I'm hoping it can succeed where Ranpo Kitan disappointed.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
Well... this is a weird one.
The art is rather nice though.
Sakurako sure is knowledgeable.
Looks like she loves mysteries just as much as bones..
She's really good at it too.
Still... I'm having mixed feelings about it.
Think I'm gonna skip it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Definitely a better episode than before imo. We got a murder case and one that takes quite a serious tone. I also wonder if Sakurako has some sort of connection with the main guy as she called out "Shoutarou" twice this episode. Plus, I think the OP song has some cryptic messages..

There's not much comedy around this time and I also wonder if the series will be episodic like this with its structure. So far though, this has turned out to be one of my favorite shows for the season.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
The second episode was a definite improvement, but it still has fundamental issues (such as civilians being given huge reign to investigate a murder case). I am going to give it another episode but it really needs to provide a proper hook soon, else I'm going to have to drop it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Much better than the first episode. I think the plot of finding the missing child who through the episode we get the following clues to find out what happened. I thought that it was quite interesting to have the innocence of a child played of against some of the mature aspects of the episode. And resuscitating a baby suffering from heatstroke, that is a way to build tension.

The problems with the episodes probably do fall into police procedure. I find it really hard to believe only one police officer would be following the case, and I would like to think in modern times a female police officer would specifically have been called, or really a special part of the force exactly for when having found a child. Also a bit convenient that he would meet someone he knew, who would know the little girl. And use of a gun would have had to be necessary force in that situation in regards to the police officer.

But seeing little girl playing with something like a toy penguin that matches her baby brother's, that is adorable. Made me think of some slightly cuter shows.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I also wonder if Sakurako has some sort of connection with the main guy as she called out "Shoutarou" twice this episode.

She called "Soutaro" the first time, and said "Shoutaro" the second. Two different names.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
episode two

Seeing it again, I'm thinking the whole Investigation Mode Initiate! sequence with the technicolor bone world is really out of place in the series and breaks up what is, otherwise, a nice, natural building of tension in the episode. I say this reluctantly because the sequence is pretty cool in its own way it just feels like it belongs in some trippy music video, or failing that the OP/ED.

Otherwise though, I really loved the episode. I like that the stories just focus on the leads and leave some of the details of the mysteries they get themselves involved in up to the imagination, rather than trying to create perfect closure on them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4