• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Asterisk War (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Weakest episode of the season so far. Had fan service with Claudia, comedy between Julis/Ayato, jealousy coming from Saya, and the serious part with Kirin and Ayato falling...

I think it's more of a set up for next time.
Really wonder how that food tasted tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
episode six

The Ayato/Julis interactions continue to be the best part of the series and a relatively weak episode like this really emphasizes that. I did enjoy the fight at the end and it may be a hint at a weakness of Ayato and another strength of Kirin's besides swordplay (that she doesn't seem to see).

Also nice to get more detail on Claudia. Really the episode had a bunch of interesting information just it wasn't presented in a terribly interesting way.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
The Ayato/Julis interactions continue to be the best part of the

Good for Julis for endorsing Agato's actions.

For a shy sheltered girl without any experience with boys Kirin seems to do pretty well.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
So, jackass Uncle, in that first scene, when he looked at her from the side, all I could think of was him, with sliver hair, in a slightly longer ponytail. I gave this description to my roommate, and before I was even finished, she responded with "Master Asia."

Please tell me we're not the only ones who see that?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:54 pm Reply with quote
@Dessa

Just who is Master Asia? What show is he from?

Try this

I knew you weren't the first to mention it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Dessa

Just who is Master Asia? What show is he from?

[url=http://fast.The direct URL/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4663500#4663500]Try this[/url]

I knew you weren't the first to mention it.

He's from G Gundam. I don't read the episode review threads, so I hadn't seen that.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
@Dessa

I figured you hadn't seen it, I just wanted to let you know you weren't alone. From your link, I see the resemblance. Does he have the same sweet personality?

Except for a couple of episodes of the current show, I haven't seen Gundam anything. I have conceptual problems with humanoid "robots".
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Well that was predictable. At least Kirin finally managed to stand up to her uncle. I think that took some guts.

The fight wasn't as impressive as I had expected tbh, at least coming from Kirin. I thought it was more of so-so. The ending got me somewhat interested though with the cryptic messages. Oh and I expect to see more of Kirin and Saya from now on together if she accepts the deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
If it came to picking between a grumpy tsundere and a super cuddly bashful younger girl, there's really no need to think on it, is there? Even if you take her rockin' body out of the equation.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
episode seven

So, we're going to have Team Romance and Team Loli, it seems. Is Claudia participating in the upcoming festa at all? I wonder who her partner will be, if so.

I also wonder how poor Julis is going to take her ever-increasing competition.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

So it looks like Saya and Kirin has a better bond this episode. And damn, that Violet girl was annoying. Glad to see Saya put her to place in that quick duel at the pools.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Before this episode I was getting a bit annoyed that my favourite girl Saya was getting so little screen time so this episode was great. It did a good job of developing the relationship between Kirin and Saya.

So how did this tournament thingy work again? For some reason I had this thought in my mind that each school would choose one team to represent them and then those teams would fight in some grand tournament. But it seems like any team can enter. So it's just like an open tournament though of course you'd probably have to be a student of one of the schools.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
episode eight

It's nice to see Saya & Kirin getting their fair share of time and giving them meaningful relationships outside harem leader Ayato.

Microkinis seem to be a sign of trouble in anime, so of course the owner would turn out to be an arrogant jerk. Considering she was named, I expect we'll see her again come the tournament (albeit in less revealing garb... probably).

I hope the tournament is double elimination but I suspect that it is not.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Ep 8 is an intriguing episode, it is amusing having Saya and Kirin together as they have some "not so different" qualities, as presented before Saya is the more boisterous of the two however she understands there are shortcomings be it in her spacial awareness which gets her lost easily or in her choice with siding to use her Father's weapons that apparently have "long cooldowns" when compared to similar weapons, but just as well she takes pride with herself and encourages Kirin to do similar as certainly Saya's skill with her blade is undoubtedly something of merit to be proud of.

Encouragements aside, it is interesting that there is an outright pool excursion in a Harem show and of course the Male lead is simply not in the scene, there is still eye candy for the hetero male audience, but just as well the scene isn't meant for mere titillation as it is an honest bonding moment for the girls.

Most of the female leads in Asterisk are established with better substance and motivation than our resident male lead, and this episode at least sparkles with the simplicity of friendship with likable characters in an intriguing battle city world.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Microkinis seem to be a sign of trouble in anime

As are bubble boobs. And rank consciousness. It was all there.

Anyway chalk me up on the side of the ledger that appreciates these two characters being developed a little bit. And they really needed to address Kirin's reflexive self abasement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12