• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Asterisk War (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
So how did this tournament thingy work again? For some reason I had this thought in my mind that each school would choose one team to represent them and then those teams would fight in some grand tournament. But it seems like any team can enter. So it's just like an open tournament though of course you'd probably have to be a student of one of the schools.

I'm reading Baka-Tsuki's notes from translating the novels, and this is what they say:

spoiler[First off, the tournament is broken up into 3 parts. The Phoenix Festa that they're talking about is the first part, and takes place in the summer of the first year.]

spoiler[512 participants in 256 teams go in preliminary matches (the groupings we were shown in this episode). The top 32 then draw lots for placement in the final round (hence that our two teams wouldn't meet up until the final round, like they mentioned). You also don't earn points for your school until the final 32.]

I'm assuming that spoiler[we won't get to the other two sections (Gryphon, which is team-based, and Dragon, which is individual) this cour]. I'm also assuming that spoiler[given that I believe there's only, like, 2 or 3 volumes out so far, the other two might not be written yet, either].
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
re: Episode 8:

Saya and Kirin might be the first femslash pairing I unironically support. They have really good chemistry with each other. I especially like how Saya is more than just "quiet emotionless loli #1212092939013901930" and actually has a backbone, plus an anime where the women do more than just suck up to the MC? Incredible.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
Loli team is going to win it all
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Wow, this episode felt fast, like lightning fast and the fights were pretty underwhelming/one sided. I really hope they mix some things up next time to make it more even.

Also, i think Kirin scored some points with Ayato~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Also, i think Kirin scored some points with Ayato~

Aaaand she'll never be able to accumulate enough points. I wish more shows would give side characters their own love interests instead of always fawning over the male lead they will never have. There's.... Lester. He's open, right? How about it, Kirin?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
i think Kirin scored some points with Ayato~

I think she earned points with me. But she always does. Kawaii

Prediction 1: Saya/Kirin won't make it to the finals. If they did then the following prediction couldn't happen.

Prediction 2: Ayato/Julius will get a monstrous beat down and set back, then win and a stupendous turnaround in the final match in this season.

Prediction 3: That won't be the actual final of the tournament -- that will be in the next season.

That puppet team was a hoot.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
episode nine

Of course, they make us wait to see team loli in action or to see Ayato and Julis fighting as team. There was a puppet skit though, so there's the upside.

Poor Julis, getting all jealous. If only characters in anime could see anime tropes she'd know she already has it locked.

HaruhiToy wrote:
Prediction 1: Saya/Kirin won't make it to the finals. If they did then the following prediction couldn't happen.

Perhaps, but I'm thinking they'll take out the automatons before they get knocked out. That's Saya's grudge match, after all. Do we know what bracket the vampire girl is in? I'm figuring she'll be the one to take them out on her path to Ayato.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Did they have to make that chubby unattractive guy who got angry about being snubbed in an earlier episode a bad guy?

At the very least the automatons sounded humorous, which lightened the mood. Although I question the logic in allowing robots to fight. What constitutes one being able to act as participant? Could Someone make like one huge robot and sign it up? Could it be technically one robot and then separate into a dozen separate robots? Do they have to be students to join?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
*sigh* Did they have to make that chubby unattractive guy who got angry about being snubbed in an earlier episode a bad guy?

Lester's partner? He didn't seem like a bad guy to me. Seemed to me like he wanted to join them, but Lester didn't want to, so he was stuck.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

Lester's partner? He didn't seem like a bad guy to me. Seemed to me like he wanted to join them, but Lester didn't want to, so he was stuck.

No, the guy voiced by Sugita, the student president of another school who apparently locks students up.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
At the very least the automatons sounded humorous, which lightened the mood. Although I question the logic in allowing robots to fight. What constitutes one being able to act as participant? Could Someone make like one huge robot and sign it up? Could it be technically one robot and then separate into a dozen separate robots? Do they have to be students to join?

Strictly speaking the ones actually entered in the tournament are the scientist chicks. Using puppets as your weapons is perfectly valid, just not particularly practical, as they explained, though a special exception was made this time to allow the robots alone to fight.

Anyways, snarky robots and announcers voiced by Ayana Taketatsu and Aoi Yuuki? This'll be fun.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

No, the guy voiced by Sugita, the student president of another school who apparently locks students up.

Ugh pretty much all of the presidents in that scene looked like they are bad people, even Claudia has had her moments.

Vaisaga wrote:

Anyways, snarky robots and announcers voiced by Ayana Taketatsu and Aoi Yuuki? This'll be fun.

Petit Milady as the announcers Razz
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Eh, Julis and Ayato's fights have been pretty disappointing so far, most of them jobbers. Same for Saya and Kirin. The final few episodes and their upcoming opponents should be better with pairs like Irene and her sister, especially considering that they have some unusual abilities...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I'm reading Baka-Tsuki's notes from translating the novels, and this is what they say:

spoiler[First off, the tournament is broken up into 3 parts. The Phoenix Festa that they're talking about is the first part, and takes place in the summer of the first year.]

spoiler[512 participants in 256 teams go in preliminary matches (the groupings we were shown in this episode). The top 32 then draw lots for placement in the final round (hence that our two teams wouldn't meet up until the final round, like they mentioned). You also don't earn points for your school until the final 32.]

I'm assuming that spoiler[we won't get to the other two sections (Gryphon, which is team-based, and Dragon, which is individual) this cour]. I'm also assuming that spoiler[given that I believe there's only, like, 2 or 3 volumes out so far, the other two might not be written yet, either].

I think the anime skipped over the detail on the tournament stuff right? Ill spoiler it to be safe.

spoiler[There are 3 different tournaments. Phoenix is 2 person teams, Dragon solo, and Gryps 5 person teams. Across all their years as a student they are only ever able to enter twice. Strange number since that means your not allowed to ever enter all 3 but all right. That's basically the only limitation on entering too irc. That's why there are multiple teams from each of the schools. The important thing about all of the tournaments (for the participants) is that the winner(s) of each get to make 1 wish that the interwhatever council will grant.]

As a side note there are quite a few volumes out. Its at 9 currently and the translation is just starting on the 8th.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
episode ten

Kind of a dull episode. It seems they're still focused on setting up/hyping up the later fights. Saya opening the door while her and Kirin were still naked was pretty amusing, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 12