• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chivalry of a Failed Knight (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, romance
Themes: ecchi, martial arts, school life

Plot Summary: Magic Knights are modern magic-users who fight with weapons converted from their souls. Ikki Kurogane goes to a school for these Magic Knights, but he is the "Failed Knight" or "Worst One" who is failing because he has no magical skills. However, one day, he is challenged to a duel by Stella, a foreign princess and the "Number One" student. In this duel, "the loser must be obedient for life."

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMIarTOSN7o&feature=youtu.be
----------------------------------

Another light novel adaptation.

Surprisingly, I think the artwork in the preview works well with the OST theme. I'm assuming this will likely be a 1 cour though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 will air October 3rd, streaming provider has yet to be announced.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
This was like every generic light novel adapted themes into a single package. The walking accidentally into naked girl, dueling action, tsundere-like personality coming from Stella, etc.

The MC seems to be better than some wimpy protagonists though. (almost reminds me of the guy from Trinity Seven).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
*Looks at preview guide*

So am I the only one who doesn't care how similar something is and instead focus on what's different? Just like time travel even the smallest difference can greatly change the outcome, so claiming shows are exactly the same is foolish.

It's nice that Stella knows when to be humble and it's rare to see a girl openly showing interest in a man's body (all waifus must be pure!!!). Also it's usually the girl who treats the guy as a slave/dog so it's good they flipped that.

I like a good underdog story too so I look forward to Ikki schooling some pompous fools who underestimate him.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Stella is already my favorite girl from this season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I saw some comments stating that this is a bit too cliché, but I did not mind it too much. Yeah some generic things, but there is a couple interesting things being done with the idea of a genius and working hard. I have seen a couple cases, but flipping over the guy becoming a slave thing is better than the same old guy being at the whims of a tsundere. And one who is curious.

Although only a first episode I don't feel too worried about the quality of fighting scenes.
ShiroYo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Yeah it is indeed a generic soup, but the only element that bothered me a bit was the female lead. I usually like tsunderes because they react in a fun way when teased (and because half of them have Rie's voice). Unfortunately our princess here is just annoying as she's lacking the fun and ashamed expressions that I enjoy.

I do have high expectations on that loli though. It will be great if she end up as a Maria V2.

PS: I do have some concerns about the characters' medical knowledge...and common sense in general. The girl hit the back of her head and yet they put a bandage in her forehead, should I be worried about future deaths in this show?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Just to get it out of the way, I thought this was much better than Asterisk. In every possible way, even.

The opening song (or at least I assume it to be the opening song, it was used at the ending for this episode but that's usually how it goes) was pretty good, with some really nice animation and style. The 'System doesn't recognize the true powers of the main character' thing reminds me of Mahouka (which I can't say I think is a good thing), but it kind of worked for me this time. The whole hard work beating talent thing is a staple by now, and Stella being upset that everyone just puts her on the "genius" spot and doesn't even consider how much she works reminds me of Claire from Baccano, of all people. Also, I hope they don't really push this whole "he's untalented" thing going forward because if stealing a swordstyle in a minute isn't a talent then I don't know what is. Just say he's got no Magical Ability, it makes the whole thing less "pity the MC" and more believable, imo.

The fight itself wasn't impressive but I thought its choreography was on point and I'll excuse the "talking while doing a fast movement because talking obviously doesn't take time" thing because sometimes it just works.

Character-wise Ikki seems pretty likable, and not too much of a blank slate. Stella was annoying as all hell at the beginning and the sharp 180 she took was at the very least jarring (to go from wanting death for someone that saw you naked to groping said person in their sleep, I mean), but I liked other aspects of her personality, tsundere-ness aside.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:42 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So am I the only one who doesn't care how similar something is

I don't care really, but it's almost criminal how similar this was to Asterisk. I'm surprised that the authors aren't suing each other.

As for the show, it's decent so far. I like the characters and I like Japanese swords so Ikki's ability is cool. Stella is the kind of tsundere I like. Acts more like a teenager, too embarrassed to admit something. The Asterisk's female lead is the kind of tsundere I don't like. The one who almost always seems to be in a bad mood, like she's got sand in you-know-where, always uptight.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So am I the only one who doesn't care how similar something is

I honestly couldn't care how similar it is to Asterisk War or Absolute Duo from earlier in the year. I enjoy these types of harem'ish shows where the action is plenty and the tsundere's are rife. On that subject, so many red-haired tsundere's lately in anime... Not that I'm complaining.

I do like Ikki character and his mimic sword style ability is pretty cool. It also helps if you can activate god-mode for one minute but it'll be interesting to see what would happen if his opponent were to survive it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I suppose I'll say that there's a really spoiler[big difference coming up that rarely happens in this kind of show] and leave it at that.

{Please use spoiler tags. ~nobahn}
Noctis313

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
i didn't watch asterisk, but this anime seemed a hell lot like Mahouka

which is pretty good Cool
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm only going to say this once Vaisaga (and everyone else as well), do not start discussions about source material in this thread. Or any others that are for an ongoing anime show. Whether it be actual discussion or hints of things to come, or anything else. We have had numerous complaints the last 2 seasons about users spoiling shows by talking about the source material in ongoing anime series threads. Be it here or the episode review threads. Source material discussion in ongoing threads is not being tolerated anymore, spoiler tagged or not. If we see it then chances are it will be removed.

We have a Manga and a Novel section that are perfectly suited for discussion on the source material. Please use them if anyone feels the need to discuss the source material. We have tried to be lenient on this topic for a while now but due to the ever increasing amount of complaints in regards to it this we are now cracking down to try and ensure as best as possible viewers don't get shows spoiled for them. Thank you.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
My comment contained absolutely no spoilers nor any details with which one could infer spoilers from, so anyone bothered by it is severely overreacting.

So if some one comes in and goes "Oh man, this show sucks it's just a carbon copy!" we're not even allowed to say "You're wrong, just wait and see" because that might give something away? Kind of unfair.

And in case you haven't noticed, the Manga and Novel sections are dead. Posting anything there is like talking to an empty room.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
My comment contained absolutely no spoilers nor any details with which one could infer spoilers from, so anyone bothered by it is severely overreacting.

So if some one comes in and goes "Oh man, this show sucks it's just a carbon copy!" we're not even allowed to say "You're wrong, just wait and see" because that might give something away? Kind of unfair.

And in case you haven't noticed, the Manga and Novel sections are dead. Posting anything there is like talking to an empty room.

There is a difference between simply saying "don't stop now it gets better", and saying anything that hints at a particular part of info that could spoil the experience. You're comment, while not doing so overtly, was opening the path to head down the road, or allow others, to the latter. So we stopped the bus now before it even got out the parking lot. Rather than wait for it to continue or others to jump in and add to it as has happened many times the past 2 seasons. None of us want to be tighter on this but thanks to the amount of complaints from various threads the past several months this is simply where we're at. As the old saying goes, "this is why we can't have nice things." Nothing more really to say on the subject so let's move on please.

As for the manga and novel section being dead...if everyone who wants to discuss source material for various shows these last 2 seasons went and discussed it in those sections they wouldn't be so dead. Just saying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7