• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Utawarerumono: The False Faces (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17

During the whole flashback vision scene, I had a lot of questions such as why the niece and sister looked awfully a lot like Anju and Honoka but the show made that clear a bit later on. What really caught my attention was the moment right before Haku woke up -- there was a small glimpse of Kuon. Since we know that Haku was under some kind of test (I assume the genetic enhancement or w/e which might explain why he's not affected by the curse) but that doesn't really explain why he woke up so many years later. Unless he was put into some cryogenic state.

But the most interesting part of the episode for me is the conversation between the dude from Yamato and Urtori. With the next episode called "Invasion" and the dude's look at the end, I assume that Tsukuru and Yamato may come into conflict. This seems more valid if you take into consideration the Emperor of Yamato's talk about the ruins earlier. Though, if he recognizes Haku asspoiler[ his brother]*, I don't see why he'd need to search the ruins any further. That aside, Oboro's mustache doesn't quite fit him.

The whole episode gave answers to Haku's past but I'm really excited about how the show will involve Tsukuru now.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
A few possibilities for why the emperor wanted to look for the ruins.

One, he yearns for humans--as in the old humans--to return. He may wish to uncover additional ruins to see if they held any research that would let him undo the curse.

Second, he might have found out about Hakuoro's role in the humans' demise. May might be searching for him to exact revenge.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:49 am Reply with quote
So we now have a full backstory of who Haku is, the emperor and weird slime things. And some of the people around the emperor seem to be somewhat clones of people he knew. His statement that they are not "humans" feels more like he became jaded that the people were not like the ones he wanted, or is it something like they have genetic code that makes them worship humans explaining why people like Haku so quickly?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18

Yamato's decision to invade Tusukuru makes them seem like the bullies. I assume the basis for their invasion was the failed negotiation regarding the ruins but to wage war over that issue seems rather trivial to me. Though, I guess I can see why the Emperor would make that decision but I can't see it as a justified cause. The episode tries to make this a moral dilemma for Haku but I don't think it did it well enough. We don't get Kuon's reactions to the invasion of her homeland and Haku doesn't even reject the request to aid the invasion. It does show that he values his friendships but the dilemma just doesn't seem that strong. It doesn't help that the show tried to make a comedic situation out of this, too, which didn't make it as effective. The show is trying to hammer Haku's mindset into us but, honestly, I don't think it has been successful in that. It also dillydallies instead of focusing on the issues the characters face.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure how much I like this invasion angle. The comedy and Haku's reactions weren't something that I found interesting as it feels like the show is dragging the fighting for later. Still, I think the latest episode sets up for the upcoming battles. Really curious to see what Kuon's next move will be...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
The show is trying to hammer Haku's mindset into us but, honestly, I don't think it has been successful in that. It also dillydallies instead of focusing on the issues the characters face.

I am not sure I want to see any more of Haku's mindset. Always whining and moping about how hard his life is, mostly ignoring what his adoring harem does for him, and absolutely no ambition for anything whatever. I have a hard time remembering a character this passive. He is such a drab personality it is something like a miracle that it turns out he is concerned about Kuon's feelings at all.

So he is all of a sudden in charge of a resupply mission but does not do one thing about it. It is all left up to underlings he hasn't even bothered to meet. OK so he is distracted searching for Kuon but he gets drunk and oversleeps and wouldn't even be packed if it weren't again for his harem doing it all for him. And even then he would miss the boat were it not for his loyal overgrown chicken.

Can someone tell me what we are following this character for?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19

Going back to the religion of the animal-people brought up a few episodes ago. I like how some of them worship their "creators" (the past humans) as gods while the people of Tusukuru view Wis-whatever as their god. Kuon brought up ancient magic which was interesting since they have actual magic in this show. Her description of ancient magic is actually modern day technology.

What I enjoyed this episode is what Kuon provides -- specifically her mention of how Yamato will lose if they fought Tusukuru head on. It seems a bit absurd given how much powerful Yamato is from fighting the barbarians and Tusukuru doesn't seem to have the same firepower. I guess Tusukuru's strategies are effective in fighting these type of underdog battles. I'm actually a bit confused why Aruru help lead Haku & co. to Munechika. Isn't that a bit counter intuitive to the Tusukuru's war efforts? I guess Kuon's presence may have given them a reason to not do anything.

I did like this episode but I'm hoping for them to move along and go into the actual fighting, especially since Benawi is shown to appear next episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Having sat through 19 episodes of this waiting for something to happen, I'll probably stick it out to the bitter end (unless plot fails to materialize again next week), but the beginning of this episode nearly had me throw up my hands in defeat when it started with a lovely seaside sojourn in the middle of a war mission, complete with shopping and melon eating, with care taken to hear each girl's opinion of how tasty it was. The padding is just suffocating this series, to the point that I get so fed up I can't even savor the plot relevant things like the Tiger & Birdie moment that manage to squeeze through the gaps in the padding.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I'm actually a bit confused why Aruru help lead Haku & co. to Munechika. Isn't that a bit counter intuitive to the Tusukuru's war efforts? I guess Kuon's presence may have given them a reason to not do anything.

I was more than a bit confused by that, too. Aruru and Kamyu are adults now, so there must be something going on there that we don't know about yet. Otherwise that seems massively tactically unsound, to a degree that even Kuon's presence can't countermand.

And I think the first series made it clear why Yamato would lose. Tusukuru has some massively powerful defenders.

And yeah, that whole sequence in port at the beginning is just another example of the series' overall lack of common sense when it comes to managing its tone. Still, I'm curious to see how this part is going to play out, so I'm definitely sticking with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
They don't want to fight Kuon, nor do they want her to fight her friends, when they attacked the caravan. They may also be aware that the group's fighting prowess was massively stacked in Haku's group rather than the foot soldiers, given the implications that Karula and Touka were sending reports back to Tusukuru.

It seemed like a perfectly find move to me.

Whenever a sequel title features the established protagonists from a previous series, the sequel always has to tread carefully about how they are used. Itsuwari no Kamen gives us a great example of exactly how not to use the previous protagonists.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:01 am Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I'm actually a bit confused why Aruru help lead Haku & co. to Munechika. Isn't that a bit counter intuitive to the Tusukuru's war efforts?

I think they wanted Kuon and Haku to get to the fort for the same reason Kuon wanted to come along in the first place. She's got something up her sleeve on how to stop the war, not just make sure Tusukuru wins. We just don't know what it is yet. Aruru probably does.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:43 am Reply with quote
Alright, I can see why Kamyu and Aruru would do what they did now. It also makes sense if the two were just scouting and the Bird happened to noticed Mukuru.

Key wrote:

And I think the first series made it clear why Yamato would lose. Tusukuru has some massively powerful defenders.

I thought Yamato would be stronger because of their mask powers and the transformation that comes along with it -- which I assume every General has. From what I recalled, Tusukuru had trouble with (1st series spoilers) spoiler[the Rabbit-people who had those robots until Hakuoro awoken his "god" mode.] Given that, I expected Yamato to be stronger though I'm not sure how they compare to spoiler[Hakuoro] in that form. Actually, if we consider that Karura and Touka are not in Tusukuru and still operating in Yamato, I guess it makes more sense why Tusukuru hasn't demolished Yamato yet. I'm also not taking into consideration the ethics of each of the Generals since Vurai was the only one who transformed to annihilated the barbarians.

I think my disappointments with this series comes from me drawing comparisons with the first. The first was more a war drama while this borders between a harem and wanting to be something like the first. It just doesn't seem to know what it wants to do. I do enjoy the show but it could be so much better.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
EmbraceMe wrote:
I think my disappointments with this series comes from me drawing comparisons with the first. The first was more a war drama while this borders between a harem and wanting to be something like the first. It just doesn't seem to know what it wants to do. I do enjoy the show but it could be so much better.

I put in the bold the point where I thought you hit the nail on the head. This isn't to me a case of suffering by comparison; it's a case of making clear missteps, particularly in pacing and mixing its elements in an awkward way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 20

::jawdrop:: I can't believe it, stuff actually happened!!! Exciting stuff! Interesting stuff! They blew stuff up real good! Shocked

With 4 same-faces now, I'm starting to feel like I'm watching the bishounen version of Osomatsu-san...
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe I forgot about the angel-priests when talking about the power levels of each group last week! D'oh! That perfectly explains everything.

I did like the comedy this episode despite my complaints of it last time. I loved the decent action (even if not really shown) and the showcasing of Tusukuru's strength. Its episodes like this that make me really want more from the show and I think that they're its strongest points. I really hope that whatever's established this episode doesn't get dissolved into a comedy centric episode later. But given the teaser for next week, maybe the show finally has something to focus on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6