• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Utawarerumono: The False Faces (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:59 pm Reply with quote
With that sword and immense strength, one might think that spoiler[Kurou's] all-out slashes would slice them apart like slicing butter. But no, they're just knocked down. Oh, anime logics. Wink

EmbraceMe wrote:

I did like the comedy this episode despite my complaints of it last time. I loved the decent action (even if not really shown) and the showcasing of Tusukuru's strength.

The bolded one is an understatement, especially if we're talking about the battle scene. A full-scale battle where all we see/hear are still images and cries... somehow I can hear the guys at the studio whispering, "**** it, let's just focus on those characters' duels."

So... Kuon admits she's a full-blown traitor, and it's strongly implied that spoiler[she inherits her dad's godly power.] Interesting to see how they'll make use of the latter part with only 4 (or 5?) episodes remaining.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I was too busy fanboying over Tusukuru that I really didn't feel bothered by the actual animation of the actual battle. I think I mean to talk about Kurou's fight against both Atui and Yakutowaruto -- that was the main focus of the episode and the better animated part anyways. It was a bit lacking after the initial strikes but it satisfied me. I guess my fantasies just made the battle better in my head.

L'Imperatore wrote:
So... Kuon admits she's a full-blown traitor

I'm not so sure about this; last episode, she mentioned that she was doing this to protect her friends. Kurou also thinks she's just fooling around and she wasn't fighting seriously, either. I felt that whatever she was saying was meant to be a distraction the entire time. Kuno even admits that they couldn't beat Kurou so they had to rely on trickery.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
What's exactly the point in moving forward the ED sequence? Does the director watch too many Marvel films?

spoiler[Munechika. I am heartbroken.] Sad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
So worrying about the show being too soft with no deaths of importance. The emperor is dead, Munechika is most likely dead, the princess is poisoned and Oshutoru has been sentenced to be behead.

Likely culprits for setting him up is the too smart member of the generals, or it is the daughter of the people that tried to invade, she saw her father get killed by him and she has had little part in the series to warrant so much attention she had earlier.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
The way the show shifted to a pan of Vurai and the longer hair dude (brother of Raikou?) makes them suspicious. Not to mention the previous introduction of Vurai indicates that he might have had a personal grudge against the Emperor -- despite showing loyalty. Though, the show wasn't really explicit about this.

I'm curious why Munechika didn't use her monster form if her mask provides her those powers. Even if Tusukuru has sealing powers, i think that form would have given then an advantage in the war and resisting Tusukuru's final push.

I have to say that the whole "discussion" by the 8 Pillars seemed pretty stupid. They don't really have any true evidence that Oshuturu committed the crime. In fact, the whole "we found the poison in his room" argument seemed pretty dubious to me. The fact that they bring up that Oshuturu probably put it in his own room to avoid suspicion just makes it even more so.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Um, aren't they down to 7 Pillars now? If Munechika isn't dead yet, did she radio in her vote?
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 23

So it's confirm that the giant Chocobo is the best character in the show. Nothing really happens this episode besides everyone still attempting to get away from the 8-1 Pillars. It's even more clear that the 8 Pillars, Raikou at the very least, all seem to be fighting for power that they'd even disregard the safety of the Princess. I assume this most likely means Raikou was the one who poisoned Anju as well. The best scene out of this mostly setup episode was when the time stopping scene and he followup laser beam thingy. That was cool but the repeats of it were not and felt like a waste of time. Also lots of quality issues this episode but whatever. I'm hoping next weeks will be better since it looks like Ukon will be fighting against Vurai.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 25 (finale)

So that was kind of a downer and disappointing ending. Kind of confusing at first coming from last week. I was kind of guessing pretty early spoiler[that it was Haku pretending to be him], but I still am not happy. The show expects me to be happy with an ending Haku has to pretend that he died and that Kuon and the others fall into depression over it? Kuon alone was bad, but also seeing the others like Rurutie with bags under her eyes.

Going back to the series in general, it kind of failed, at least as someone who was not familiar with the first series. It kind of started out in an interesting place where it would clearly transition a little, but never really did seem to transition from most of the series, and when it finally did towards the end it just was not right. I would say the saving grace for the series was perhaps the comedy in places, I still think Rurutie and things around her were among the best parts, plus maybe a bit of the princess and her growth. But the show also had a habit of not being able to make their characters quite interesting. A few times characters just suddenly decide to stick around, and characters are suddenly revealed to be masterful fighters. Most of them did not have any successful character arcs. Favourite episode would have to be the one where Anju decides she wants to be kidnapped, but it feels like it is an outlier from the rest of the show.

As a rating I am going with So-so (5/10), while it did have my attention at the beginning, it ended up losing it and it made it even more disappointing. I am not quite happy with this.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go ahead and just give this a Not Really Good for spoiler[that awful inconclusive and unnecessarily depressing ending] as well as the large amount of wasted potential.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
@Kruszer

This was mostly setup/advertisement of the third game hence the inconclusive ending. I've heard they changed quite a fair bit in the last half of the second season which I might talk about when I'm back home (currently still stuck in Boston after AnimeBoston).
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I have seen very few people happy with this. But what beautiful artwork. This last episode is on par with Moribito. The soundtrack too.

As for the story -- doing that to Kuon makes absolutely no sense. Not only was it senselessly cruel but counterproductive. If Haku wants to spoiler[run a deception like what he is attempting] he will need reliable allies and of course what does he do is burn the best one he could have had.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
I find it hard to buy that Kuon doesn't know (Your name is Haku. Haku.). Sure, he looks like Oshutoru, but Irish setters all pretty much look alike and you'd still be able to pick your own dog out of a lineup. This is very nearly the equivalent of Clark Kent putting on his glasses and Lois never suspecting he's Superman.

So with that conviction, I choose to interpret it as Kuon being sad that he's taken on this role for himself, knowing he can no longer be the Haku that she's known and cared for, and knowing the trials that lay before him. She's also sad that she has to leave because her sticking by him would make his act more difficult with more possibilities that she might accidentally blow his cover.

I realize very little in this show has made that much sense, and the writers may indeed be expecting us to swallow this, but since I won't be playing the games, and I won't be watching any follow-up season (unless the buzz is wildly positive), I don't care what they had in mind.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
This was by far a very disappointing sequel. I had high hopes, and it had me when some of the old characters made cameo appearances.. but it went nowhere! This series had zero direction until the end! And then the ending just left you scratching your head.

To be fair I am a big fan of this series... enough to go out and get and play the original VN. False Faces pretty much kills any chances of any further sequels and that to me is the most disappointing of all.

My rating.. D
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
As EmbraceMe pointed out, the ending makes more sense when you consider this as a set-up for the next game rather than a stand-alone production. That would also explain the languid pacing for the series. It wasn't concerned about getting heavily into the action component because that's what the game play will be about. This is all about developing the characters.

So yeah, I'd rate this series much a lower as a stand-alone effort but a bit higher taken in context.

Now, my question about the ending is spoiler[whose chest was Kuon crying into there at the end]?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
@Key

That would be spoiler[Oboro's] chest.

Even with this as setup for the third game, I feel as if the anime hasn't really developed Haku in meaningful ways. According to spoilers I've read of him, in the game he's much more intelligent than what we've been shown in the anime. For example, the Kuon as a hostage episode was changed from spoiler[Haku creating a hit air balloon to scout]. Also one thing they left out in the finale was that Kuon spoiler[can change into the mask monster things] hence why she didn't look that surprised when Vurai used his powers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6