• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comet Lucifer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:37 am Reply with quote
I realize these are minor complaints with all the weirdness going on but can anyone provide an in universe explanation for a couple of questions?

How did Sogo and Kaon manage to fall all that distance with out any injuries? Just before they disappeared into the hole neither was holding on to the anti-grav scooter or to each other, yet they ended up on solid rock a few feet apart with the scooter within reach. Neither had a visible scratch. They didn't fall in water, neither was wet and in any case water is like a solid surface if you fall that far.

Also, the bipedal machines were submerged into deep water when they broke the wall into the large chamber with a pool at the bottom. However, instead of the water around them and above them rushing into the chamber, the pool drained out. This makes no sense at all. Are we just going to have to assume that basic physics doesn't work here?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:12 am Reply with quote
I don't understand their fall either. It's like the writers needed to get the kids down there but skipped how to keep them alive. I guess I'll assume one of them grabbed the air scooter, which kept them from sustaining injury but broke in the process.

This series is currently in the "okay, I guess" column for me. I have a feeling it'll go done a really generic route instead of exploiting what makes it unique. Mixing mecha with this fantasy western setting already feels sort of 'eh.'
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Took me way to long to realise that the balloon animal looking creature was probably the giant mecha, even when it mentioned being able to transform. I like that it seems to have a moustache.

The shooting in the dark scene was pretty cool.

Also, I was probably the only one thinking it a little sad that what seemed to be a bar was having not customers.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also, I was probably the only one thinking it a little sad that what seemed to be a bar was having not customers.

Actually, I was wondering about that too. I was curious on whether this was for the convenience of not having additional random characters in various scenes (but then why have it be a bar in the first place?) or if that's actually meant to be a plot point. It doesn't seem like Sogo's mineralogy habit brings in much so if it is an intentional point, it kind of paints Sogo in a somewhat selfish light since a bar that doesn't have patrons can't be bringing anything in either. I suppose they could be sitting on a huge cash reserve or something.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Pretty fun episode even with the cat and mouse game in the second half with that creepy dude stalking Felia and her friends. What I do find curious though is her powers....as she can manifest them yet might not have the full capability to use it perfectly? Well, idk it looks like she can but I'm betting that it has some form of drawback.

The amusement park and stuff was fun to watch. World fiction for this series also remains interesting with that cat/pigeon hybrid bird or whatever it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
episode three

Kind of disappointing to be honest. A random new antagonist with no clear motivation, Felia's cluelessness being pushed past the annoyance threshold, and to top it all off the constant irritating noise of Sogo and Moura having arguments.

On the plus side, the action remains enjoyable if not remarkable and I enjoyed the recoil of the cable snapping being portrayed, even if the whole bit about it cutting a line in the villain's hair felt unfitting.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Seeing how Felia acts now, it's gonna be kind of creepy when Sogo eventually hooks up with her, isn't it?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Seeing how Felia acts now, it's gonna be kind of creepy when Sogo eventually hooks up with her, isn't it?

Do they have to? So far she is kind of like Yui from SAO, more of a father daughter thing than romantic. Actually, it is kind of reminding me of an anime from a few years ago (5)..... Shukufuku no Campanella, where it set up the mysterious girl as a daughter character.

Episode 3

Cat pigeons, well that was some interesting ideas of world building. Which I think is probably their strong point so far.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Do they have to?

It's anime law, unfortunately. You just need to see how often they're shown together in the opening to get an idea.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Do they have to?

It's anime law, unfortunately. You just need to see how often they're shown together in the opening to get an idea.

Like in Kanajo ga Flag?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:18 am Reply with quote
Didn't watch that one so I don't know how it turned out.

At any rate, I can count the number of times where the mysterious new girl lost to the long standing friend on one hand. This show, while entertaining, hasn't particularly broken the mold in any way so there's no reason to think it'll be different in that regard.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
I really hope they do a background story episode about Felia's origins as she is still the most mysterious yet also wanted characters by some of the antagonists. For one thing, she is being kidnapped in the latest episode and I wonder what exactly they plan to do with her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
episode four

I keep expecting Felia to be advancing quicker than she is since the intro (and increasingly the show itself) paint them as a pair. No dice though, and it's starting to get a little irritating. That Fantasia-esque, vegetable-based musical number seemed rather out of place to me. The shows slice-of-life antics aren't really great in general.

Hopefully, with Felia kidnapped, the main story will start moving forward more and the military's motivations will start coming in to focus. Plus, since action sequences have been a relative strong point of the series any development that is likely to increasing their frequency/length is welcome.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

The dancing vegetable scene took me be surprise, and I did find it kind of humorous. I do think it kind of keeps in some of the style the show has had like with cat pigeons.

In general Felia is at a really flawed level, she is not just a sweet child like character. From the episode she actually came across fairly selfish and bratty, that she does not quite understand that other people have feelings too. Or at the least often when she is around me people she wants to show off, although I guess she also showed guilt at parts. It is kind of like on the other end of limited vocabulary character to someone like Chaika who is a pretty full person despite only able to speak in fractured sentences.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

WHAT.

Did Felia awaken her full powers or something? I think that's still the same Felia but as a more mature self. Glad to see that Sogo managed to save her though. The episode wasn't short on action but felt pretty generic. Surprisingly, I did like the action parts. I hope some questions gets cleared next time.

Sogo got a lot of explaining to do....or rather the show itself. Really though, I hope they do a background/flashback episode that features Felia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5