• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comet Lucifer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
^

It's all kind of generic though, isn't it? I'm having a hard time thinking of a way that the series stands out to me. Which reminds me that my money is currently on Do Mon croaking before the series is over. As oddly soft as the series has been so far, I feel like there's still a need for a token sacrifice.

On the upside: Weird edible plants. It's one of those touches I always enjoy, for some reason.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
No Frodo and Sam, don't leave the rest of the fellowship.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if it was intentional or not, but one of the fruits they found sure looked like a Helheim Fruit
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:09 am Reply with quote
Are you talking about the thing he said smelled like a "Palymia fruit"? (did they mean palmyra fruit?) That, and the fruit which I presume is the "Palymia" we see him eating in the flashback, both look like palette-swapped dragon fruits (pitaya fruit) to me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Ouch poor Don...

I feel like he's one of the characters that suffered the most in this show and he may lose his life this episode after being stabbed at the end. Pretty action packed episode between the two sides. I really hope Don survives somehow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
episode nine

The action in this show continue to be a weird mixed bag, not just in quality but also in tone. The action sequence in this episode was this bizarre mix of more serious feeling combat and lighthearted bits (like Felia getting knocked out the hand of Pack's mech).

I've suspected for some time that Zoneboyle's assistant is Sogo's missing mother (even before the backstory of how she supposedly died as given). I'm revising that idea slightly to the thought that she's some sort of rebuilt version of Ena, leaving open the question of how much of the original remains. I'm not confident enough to put any money on this though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
episode nine

I've suspected for some time that Zoneboyle's assistant is Sogo's missing mother (even before the backstory of how she supposedly died as given). I'm revising that idea slightly to the thought that she's some sort of rebuilt version of Ena, leaving open the question of how much of the original remains. I'm not confident enough to put any money on this though.

While it's not impossible, I don't think I'd see the point in doing that, story-wise (though this series certainly wouldn't require a point to justify anything they do). It'd be like Ena wearing a mask of the assistant wearing a mask of Ena. Smile

Actually, I thought her appearance meant he'd already died and I was expecting to see his body in the background or something. So they really did catch me off guard with that.

My main gripe this time around was that Sogo risked his life to distract them from her so she could go on ahead to the altar and what does she do? Stays put and watches the battle from where he left her until she's captured. Oy.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

While it's not impossible, I don't think I'd see the point in doing that, story-wise (though this series certainly wouldn't require a point to justify anything they do). It'd be like Ena wearing a mask of the assistant wearing a mask of Ena. Smile

Actually, I thought her appearance meant he'd already died and I was expecting to see his body in the background or something. So they really did catch me off guard with that.

I thought he was dying and she was either a figment of his imagination or the messenger to heaven. So I was caught off guard as well.

What's with Roman's "he can't go back home" line? Okay, the punch was kinda bad (though cathartic for a viewer who dislikes Sogo), but it wasn't exactly the sort of thing that tears apart a family.

Two major issues I have with this series is how it transitions and how it utilizes its cast. If it doesn't know how to get a character from A to B reasonably, the writer just sticks them there. How did Do Mon get into Gus' ship undetected and find his exact room last episode? Who knows! This series actually has a decently sized cast but they don't do much. You have the main five + Moura, Gus' squad, a few important side characters, and all those government people.

Something also occurred to me: despite aging up Felia, she still isn't acting like a romantic interest to Sogo at all. I assume they're going to push it into these last few episodes, but there is still a lot of ground the series has to cover too--the main plot, these background stories, Kaon's romance, what the point of Pack and Al actually are. It miiiiight get bloated here on out.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Sogo is only 14 years old? Wait does that mean the other girl who is being forced to get married is 14 also? I doubt Roman is 14 though. Probably just a character type but as a gamer the thing kind of reminds me of the video game, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. Sogo is Link (chosen hero), Roman is Groose (tall with a focus on his chest and looks), Otto is that short guy that follows Groose, Moura is Fi (the avatar of the hero's weapon, informative but annoying), while the Zelda character is broken up between Kaon (spunky childhood friend love interest) and Felia (living entity of god who chose the hero). Also, was it a spring they were looking for? Do Mon gets to be.... Impa.

Actually to talk about the episode, this was pretty great. Somehow they managed to effectively make me feel for this Sogo/ Do Mon relationship. I have a funny way to think of the episode in terms of relationships. The one that came to his rescue was Roman, and the one he realised he loved the most was Do Mon, and the one he entered and bonded with was Moura.

Also, Do Mon full on shot people, they were like only doing their job and he just full on kills them. I must say they pulled something nice, I had been thinking that Ena might be still alive because her body was not found, so it was kind of interesting when they showed up and looked like it was not just symbolism or dying hallucination. It actually felt tonely right that he was about to get hurt, like stabbed, but how they did it kind of surprised me. How that woman moved was kind of odd, I can see how she might be some sort of artificial body that used elements of Sogo's mother, if Do Mon is out of the picture I might see that as an important aspect.

Lol, Otto's surname is Moto.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

That was bad, imo almost nothing more happened this episode although I did feel bad for Felia and Do Mon for the shit that happened to them. I feel like there's a deeper connection between Felia and that mysterious mecha though.

But the storytelling and writing direction for this show is generic and weak. At least the mecha action was surprisingly nice. That's appreciable. I hope something surprising happens next time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
episode ten

Hey, a nice action sequence! I'd been down on the mecha fights in this series for a little while, so it's nice to see one I really enjoyed again. On the other hand, Gus's reaction to Do Mon's death was laugh-out-loud terrible and Sougo's was rushed to the point of losing impact.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
So now this wants to be Rage of Bahamut with mecha? ::sigh:: Certainly a series worth copying from, but they can't even copy well.

Except for the fact that Sougo wasn't hysterical, I was having Airplane! flashbacks during that one scene.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
For a series that has a lot to explore and not much time left, it really wasted its time with this episode--and added another superfluous mecha.

Ouch. When your war buddy emotes more than your foster son over your death... Though both were worthy of an eye roll. Gus was over the top and Sogo's 'mourning' was truncated to an extreme.

And that heart. That stupid, stupid heart. Who told the writer that was a good idea?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
And that heart. That stupid, stupid heart. Who told the writer that was a good idea?

I think they lifted that from Eureka 7. They seem to think if they copy stuff from better series, it will rub off on this skunk somehow.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
What does the show have going for it? Maybe it was that it was not the other shows, and perhaps fitter for a newer/younger audience. I think rather than clutter itself from copying other shows it should have tried being a lot more simpler with a focus tighter on the world building that it did early on. The show had cat pigeons and some of its own culture, and all that feels pushed to the side for other things. I feel like it started to go weird when the characters suddenly mentioned school when there was no mention before that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5