• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Owarimonogatari (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Genres: Supernatural, Mystery
Themes:

Plot Summary: The first volume of Owarimonogatari contains Ougi Formula, Sodachi Riddle, and Sodachi Lost. Ougi Formula describes how spoiler[Araragi Koyomi meets Oshino Ougi for the first time.]

The second volume contains Shinobu Mail, and it describes what spoiler[Araragi and Oshino Shinobu were doing during the event of Tsubasa Tiger.]

The third volume contains Mayoi Hell, Hitagi Rendezvous, and Ougi Dark. In Mayoi Hell, spoiler[Araragi, to his disbelief, meets Hachikuji Mayoi again.]
----------------------------------

Set to air this Fall.

I am a big fan of the Monogatari franchise and am quite pleased to see this a get a TV anime adaptation. Hoping for the best but seeing how Shaft has been adapting their other titles, I have good hopes for the upcoming show.

Last edited by Stark700 on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1 + 2:

Whoa, now that was intense. Loved it with the complex chemistry between Ougi and Araragi. It was nice to hear the dialogues and the arc was noticeable that it was secluded to the mysterious classroom.

Overall very entertaining episode though with the heavy usage of the dialogues.

The debating was quite something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Unless something surprises me a whole lot in the near future, this was the best episode of the year. Holy damn, Ougi.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Ougi is damn creepy. The real implication here seems that the entire thing was largely her/it torturing Koyomi. Almost feels like maybe she was helping him through something that has been on his mind, but the last few arks it has felt like she has purposely manipulated things in a not favourable way.

The hints have all been that she is nothing, she is darkness, she is what was after Mayoi. Ougi has even forgot her/it's gender, and if I am not remembering wrong it even sounded like she can see the future or time flows differently for her. How she was animated in this episode was well done to continue it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:32 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Ougi is damn creepy.

Those blacked out eyes and the way she can snake herself around certainly was not your typical anime-girl effect.

The thing I don't get however is what her interest in all this was. She wasn't in the school when the incident happened and there was no obvious link to Araragi so what gives?
headhugg1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I have been a big fan of this series of anime. The stylized artwork, the devilish dialog, and some of the most interesting characters. Throw in a story with a completely new take on "monsters in our midst" and you have a fine piece of art.
This latest iteration has jumped in with a very unique start; a one-room story to start us all off. I'll admit that I am a little lost on where in the timeline of stories this fits in but it has met, and possibly passed, the bar set by earlier stories. I have a feeling I'm really going to like this!
P.S. Yeah, that girl gives off a super creepy vibe. They made a big point of showing us her dead black eyes so we'll see if she ends up being a supernatural... something or other Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
headhugg1 wrote:
I have been a big fan of this series of anime. The stylized artwork, the devilish dialog, and some of the most interesting characters. Throw in a story with a completely new take on "monsters in our midst" and you have a fine piece of art.
This latest iteration has jumped in with a very unique start; a one-room story to start us all off. I'll admit that I am a little lost on where in the timeline of stories this fits in but it has met, and possibly passed, the bar set by earlier stories. I have a feeling I'm really going to like this!

We at least know that it is how Koyomi met Ougi, so we can pretty much place it before any of her appearances. Looking for a direct links, I think Koyomi was telling Ougi about Mayoi about 4 months after she disappeared. And we can assume she was already around when Nadeko was convinced to become a god. So we can probably slot it right between those two, which would be between Onimonogatari (4th ark of Monogatari second season), and Otorimonogatari (the majority of the 3rd ark of Monogatari second season). I can't take all the credit, after working it out the basis I did check a timeline out to confirm it, and then looked up the episode list of the series on wikipedia.

The timeline is really odd in this franchise. We have had the last chronological part of the series with Hanamonogatari, yet we are still waiting for the very beginning chronologically with Kizumonogatari, which will probably be last if it does come out.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Ah I just love the dialogues and word plays used in this episode. As usual, Ougi expresses her sarcastic thoughts all over the place this week. It's nice to see Oikura as well. Her hatred for Araragi is quite something imo.

The episode also introduces a new OP theme song so I assume we will be getting one for every 2-episodes consecutively. Nice to learn more about Araragi and his past too.

Loved it~
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

The episode also introduces a new OP theme song so I assume we will be getting one for every 2-episodes consecutively. Nice to learn more about Araragi and his past too.

I'm assuming one for each arc, so Shinobu's should only have 1 OP for its entire 6 episode run? Which would be kind of a shame since her VA can't sing for Aniplex or something like that.

Great episode once again, this time with a lot more humor in it, and Shaft once again delivering really really well on the visuals. Ougi just keeps getting better too.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I'm assuming one for each arc, so Shinobu's should only have 1 OP for its entire 6 episode run? Which would be kind of a shame since her VA can't sing for Aniplex or something like that.
Zvezda is an Aniplex show, but she sang the OP for that one, immediately after Second Season finished airing. The way I've heard the situation described is that Maaya Sakamoto either never does character songs (although according to the Japanese Wikipedia page on her she did sing one in 2000 for the video game Medarot/Medabots), or that she never sings for the series she acts in and never acts in the series she sings for. Either way it's probably gonna be something similar to the Shinobu Time OP.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Ougi expresses her sarcastic thoughts all over the place this week.

Damn but I like Ougi. I don't see here as really sarcastic though although she is capable of the wry comment now and then. There is actually something I find kind of reassuring about her but I can't explain it. Here appearance (particularly in half shade) and her mannerisms are creepy as all hell but she seems unfailingly friendly and inquisitive. It is an effective contrast.

And what's up with her arms? Are they unnaturally short or are her sleeves unnaturally long?
Quote:
It's nice to see Oikura as well. Her hatred for Araragi is quite something imo.

That bit with the retreating chairs was magnificent.

I thought they were going to explain how the solution to the Monty Hall puzzle worked. But they just gave the answer and moved on.

Best lol line: "Only I am allowed to stab Araragi with stationery!"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:22 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Ougi expresses her sarcastic thoughts all over the place this week.

Damn but I like Ougi. I don't see here as really sarcastic though although she is capable of the wry comment now and then. There is actually something I find kind of reassuring about her but I can't explain it. Here appearance (particularly in half shade) and her mannerisms are creepy as all hell but she seems unfailingly friendly and inquisitive. It is an effective contrast.

I think it is that it feels like she actually knows the answer before it even leaves his lips, or at least that is what it feels like to me. Although it does look like she gets a lot of wrong assumptions of things, that she does not know, she then seems to turn it right around that it was exactly what she wanted. Take for instance when she knocked the door down, she lead the conversation down an unassuming topic of lying to the police, before Koyomi let it slip that his parents are police officers. She then followed up saying that they could use that to their advantage, right before he corrected her that his parents were not like that, and they would confront him with a high authority figure from a young age. And right to finish that conversation Ougi with the smirk on her face says that such a thing could be traumatising, and that was it, it was not genuine but sarcastic. Ougi knew from the very beginning what the conversation would lead to, and she did it all for the end goal of deconstructing his sense of justice.

Episode 2

If people have a bit of trouble understanding that letter thing, I will explain it, it is actually a rather interesting statistical dilemma that many people don't realise. If you pick one of the three doors there is a 1/3 chance that you picked the correct one. After they show that one of the alternatives was the incorrect answer and ask if you want to choose the other door, people tend to think that means that both have a 1/2 chance of being the right one, but that is wrong. The first one you picked actually still has a 1/3 chance, because regardless of the new scenario you originally only had a 1/3 chance of getting it at the start. While the chance that it was either of the other two was 2/3 chance, but now that you see that one of them is wrong, that means the 2/3 chance is now on the alternative. You are twice as likely to get the correct answer if you change, so you always should.

Also interesting was that they used an Inkling in that example, it is a fairly new popular game. Which now that I think about it was probably a stealth pun, at least in English where Inkling can mean guessing.

They say that no one can have everyone like him, and that girl sure seems to be one that does not like him. Which seems to be from some past.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Pretty interesting episode.

We find out more about Araragi's past in connection with Oikura. And regarding that, we learn about her developing hate for him. I still find Ougi to be one of the most interesting characters of the season though just because of her personality. The word plays were fantastically done this episode too.

And lol, James Bond reference. That was just classic.

Really liking that OP song as well. The style of it is very fitting.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I think it was pretty cool when it said to look at the situation, and then said that he was not remembering things entirely right, that is pretty cool.

And what about the hypnotism symbolism with Ougi?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Interesting episode. We got more of Ougi and Araragi. I find their conversation to be quite cryptic in a sense and the way that Hanekawa's beginning to suspect Ougi's identity is an interesting plot element.

Loved the thrilling music used this episode too in conjunction with the dialogues. Quite the interesting development with bits of witty dialogue and sarcasm. I just find Ougi to be such a mysterious character this season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6