• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Despite Jasley's actions, Iok is still my most hated character this in this show. Jasley's always been shown to be a vile person, while on the other hand, Iok, started out as mildly annoying.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
For a possible context reveal, Josley might be revealed to be blood related to old man Barristan, this would explain why Josley actions have been overlooked prior and some other sharp dressed man didn't gun down Josley earlier.
This would also give context to why Josley was super pissed that an "outsider" like Naze was being favored over a blood relative.

And of course the final piece is that Josley is very much paralleled to Iok, both raised as a sort of quasi royalty expecting there lives to be privileged and above the masses thanks to there supposed "birthright".

Otherwise it is hard to believe Barristan allowed Josley to get away with as much crap for so long regardless if Josley has his own private army of goons.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
s2 ep 17
I am unclear weather or not the hollowness of Tekkadan's victory was intentional in regards to the viewer.
If it is, this might be a significantly more clever episode as "vengeance is a hollow endeavor", it if wasn't this is easily the weakest "action" episode of the season.

There is more than enough room for a much more significant peak before series end with Iok and Vidar having one more conflict clash to play as well as McGillis ambitions coming into fruition, so hopefully there is something much more tangible to be invested in besides a mob head getting there much deserved come ups.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
I think Mika will live but he might become part machine. In all the Gundam series I've watched, only Kamille of Zeta did not make it, he was alive but unwell. Amuro was not alive but well. All the other protagonists I know made it alive and well although Setsuna of 00 was not human. i can't explain why I'm enjoying IBO. I hate to admit it but I like titles with war casualties. Casualties stir emotions, add depth to the meaning of war. Confused

I am watching Kudelia's choice, would she openly support Tekkadan? Would she give up everything and side with Tekkadan? She was part of Tekkadan. If I play devils advocate, I think Orga and Kudelia make a good couple. I am not sure if I am the only one who feels that Kudelia in season 2 is not as "in love" with Mika as in season 1. My feelings may be wrong though. It might be that in season 2, she puts on a more business like, non emotional character.

I always had this notion that Kudelia is somehow related to McGillis and I'm excited that we will soon know his true intentions. You just don't kill your best friend or future brother-in-law over zeal for reform or even power.
Garden-variety wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Links to Berserk?

Has anyone else noticed a similarity between McGillis and Griffin, or Mika and Guts?

Griffin was once owned by a wealthy aristocrat and was a part of a fair haired male harem before he escaped and eventually killed his former master.

Guts lost an arm and an eye, uses an unwieldy massive sword, has an arm cannon, and fights like a demon.

Both are orphans.

Just throwing it out there.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
In regards to appearances, Akihiro looks much more similar to a younger Guts, while certainly Mika is much more pegged to a warmongering personality that thrives on the battlefield.
Garden-variety wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I agree.
Garden-variety wizard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
Links to Berserk?

Has anyone else noticed a similarity between McGillis and Griffin, or Mika and Guts?

Griffin was once owned by a wealthy aristocrat and was a part of a fair haired male harem before he escaped and eventually killed his former master.

Guts lost an arm and an eye, uses an unwieldy massive sword, has an arm cannon, and fights like a demon.

Both are orphans.

Just throwing it out there.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
It is amusing as the story line continues as something out of a much more fantastical setting than it would be about giant mech wars.

McGillis claiming himself King because he "pulled the sword from the stone" and in Gaelio's case the Prince that returned from the dead.

Rustal has a way with words in regards to relighting Iok's fighting spirit reminding Iok of his house's lineage while at the same time shooting down the concept of supposed "mythical return of Dear Leader", in the end history will be determined by the age old concept that "Might makes right".

Orga's heart weighs heavy as he already knows there will undoubtedly be losses of his beloved Tekkedan, and there is little doubt by the end of this "final Battle" Mika will not be able to function outside of Barbatos as certainly an opponent like Gaelio aided by the ghost of Ein will force Mika to make a final pact with his devil machine Barbatos.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 Episode 17, I am satisfied with the reasons why McGillis is what he is - His difficult childhood. His quest for power through brute force and twisted logic make him more like Paptimus Scirocco of Zeta which means that Mika must be careful of him. I really liked the conversation between McGillis and Gaelio. I feel that Gaelio really spoke his heart out. It is wrong to kill one's best friend for whatever reason. Such betrayal. McGillis could betray Tekkadan.

Season 3 Episode 18.

- I am surely not surprised that Tekkadan has to fight the Arianrhod fleet.

- I am disappointed that Kudelia sat at her desk praying for Tekkadan instead of being there with her family and that special someone. Her conversation with Atra simply confirms what I've been feeling all this while that she has distanced herself from Mika.

- I always believed that McGillis is serious with Amiria although I cannot explain why I felt this way. Perhaps, I've been fooled by McGillis's sweet words to Amiria but I never doubted his sincerity towards her. Poor girl but if I were her, I'd stick by my man for better or for worse. That's just me though. If McGillis is a psyhopath like Paptimus, romance is irrelevant, he's not sincere. If McGillis is anything like Char, Amiria dies.

- I liked the conversation between Mika and McGillis that explained how McGillis got the AV system. McGillis explained what drove him to top Gjallarhorn. For some reason, I am more inclined to believe this is the real reason why he wanted total control of Gjallahorn. It still does not explain why he killed his best friend.

- I am shocked that older Gjallarhorn 7 star members don't seem to know that Bael can be piloted by anyone with the AV system.

- It's over simplistic to believe that anyone who can pilot Bael can control Gjallarhorn.

- I'm glad those members remained neutral. It could have been worse for McGillis if they decide to side with the Arianrhod fleet. I think they do not want to throw their support to a man who killed his best friend/s for power. I would have done like wise.

- I'm pleasantly surprised at Loj Kujan's sudden change of personality.

- I'm proud to hear Orga say that they won't betray partners. The problem is that McGillis ,might betray them.

- I maintain the believe that Mika will live but he nay become part machine.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
ivorymoose wrote:
- I am disappointed that Kudelia sat at her desk praying for Tekkadan instead of being there with her family and that special someone. Her conversation with Atra simply confirms what I've been feeling all this while that she has distanced herself from Mika.

The ending with them as kids has been suggesting it the whole season. You see Mika take Atra's hand while Kudelia smiles and walks away.

ivorymoose wrote:
I always believed that McGillis is serious with Amiria although I cannot explain why I felt this way. Perhaps, I've been fooled by McGillis's sweet words to Amiria but I never doubted his sincerity towards her. Poor girl but if I were her, I'd stick by my man for better or for worse. That's just me though. If McGillis is a psyhopath like Paptimus, romance is irrelevant, he's not sincere. If McGillis is anything like Char, Amiria dies.

I've never doubted McGillis's fondness for Almiria either, though the question was if he cared for her romantically or not. This episode certainly suggests he does. It does make sense, as he was abused and manipulated as a child and likely sees Almiria as being in a similar position (ie being used for political gain). Also, those who have been robbed of proper childhoods like McGillis can regress to being more childlike in adulthood to make up for that (Michael Jackson was like this). So he could see her as a peer and thus a potential partner.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
Something to toss out, assuming it hasn't been mentioned already, is that Almiria is not the first VERY young girl to be used as a blatant political football in a Gundam setting, as others have pointed out that Gaelio's storyline closely parallel Garma Zabi, Almiria's situation loosely parallels Mineva Zabi's situation during Z Gundam as there family name was used for political gain for another party.

It wouldn't be until years later that Mineva would be able to confront the world at large and be able to use her family name as a means to shift political winds of her own volition in the events of Gundam Unicorn, and oddly enough there were "ghosts" fighting on the battle field during the events of Unicorn be they metaphorical or literal.

That said, I would hardly be surprised if this show ends with a "distant finale" after all the warring has been come to its bloody conclusion.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 episode 21.

Love the conversation between Orga and Mika. That handshake between the 2 is significant. Very very Gundam - Always trust the protagonist Gundam meister, never doubt. The main Gundam meister seals the victory. That was a powerful handshake.

This is the first time I see Eugene speak directly with McGillis face to face regarding battle strategy. As long as he is alright with the battle plan, Tekkadan is safe, he is Tekkadan's field commander and battle strategist, he should have been present at every meeting between Orga and McGillis because he can better handle a person like McGillis. The problem is that Rustal does not play clean on the battle front, he breaks the rules to win and winning is all that matters. Orga is too "straight" on the battle front. McGillis is not, he plays dirty like Rustal. McGillis can still betray Tekkadan. Tekkadan must depend on itself and nobody else if it wants to win. As you can tell, I trust Eugene a lot. He had been able to steer Tekkadan to victory on the battle field and steer Tekkadan out of difficult situations in battle. A person like that should be able to handle McGillis.

Regarding romance; I wish Kudelia and Almiria would step up to the plate and make a stand as to whose side they are on. Kudelia is very ambitious, she seems to make decisions based on her own interests, objectives and goals. I wish she would make a sacrificial stand for Tekkadan if that means anything to her. Kudelia can use her charisma to help boost Tekkadan morale and she can give Orga a more noble goal other than becoming King of Mars. As for Almira, if I were her, I'd fly to be with McGillis if that is who she loves. She must be prepared to die for him. That would be in line with Universal Century old school Gundam romance.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
S 2 Ep 22
The strange set of situations is that Rustal's personal vendetta against Tekkedan comes as an ironic twist as he was the one that ordered Galan Mossa to work alongside Tekkedan as a double agent posing as a mercenary.

While Rustal openly says he is making Tekkedan a scape goat, the most pragmatic route would have been to take up the offer of surrender, but clearly Rustal is a man that can be spiteful and has the luxury of being bloodthirsty being in a upper hand position (and being almost killed in a last ditch effort by Tekkedan may have peeved him a little as well).

Another ironic echo is that Orga had been forced into a corner and beg for mercy, not for himself but for his comrades, and of course the cries for mercy would be answered with scorn.
*edit* this season has had SEVERAL instances where various Tekkedan members were in a position to show mercy to an otherwise surrendering enemy, and I don't recall them letting a person go, sure usually it was earned come up but more often than not whichever member was holding the gun pulled the trigger.
Tekkedan ARE a group of thugs, the audience simply has sided with them as it is a view point focused narrative, in regards to morality they are little better than Rustal or MacGillis.
This stark nature of events should be a reminder to why Kudelia wants to change the status quo so children are not raised in paramilitary organizations simply to be a sacrifice either in a pirate raid or squashed as an example to anyone that would oppose military dogma of Gjallahorn.

And as well, it seems the entire story will likely be ending where it began outside of the base that once held the banner of CGS.

Last edited by FenixFiesta on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:56 am Reply with quote
S2 Ep22

The most pragmatic thing would be to accept their surrender and then kill them off later preferably through assassinations. However, that's not going to happen for two reasons:

1. Rustal wants to make an example of them. No one is going to go up against him in the future whether inside the council or outside it.
2. Most importantly he wants this battle public, not only for reason number one but because he gets to make history. He becomes the savior of Gjallarhorn, peace and order. He writes himself into the history books.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13