• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
There's no doubt that Masahiro is dead, like the other members of his unit, he's probably just a bloody mass of flesh. I actually feel kind of sorry for the guys that Mikazuki took out. At least they get to join Pedro.

Hopefully, Kudal will get what's coming to him in the next episode. Like Quess in Char's Counterattack and Nena Trinity in Gundam 00 I can't wait to see him die.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Also jumping on this spacewagon now! I kinda marathoned the first set of episodes. This Gundam show is a pleasant surprise, with some really good characters (I like Orga and Eugene), a memorable ost with fitting opening/ending themes, good fights and themes befitting a shonen show. The execution is superb and the rawer human edge to the story with the flawed orphans was done very well.
When the show uses his 'show-don't-tell' strategy it shines and flourishes into masterpiece level (especially visible in battles), but sometimes it relies too much on characters giving information in a slightly unnatural way.
A few characters were classic black & white bad guy material without a shade of gray, but I think that's to be expected in a show with so many characters. They set up some interesting antagonists as well. This show also shows different ways of life (like the harem) without actually giving an outright opinion on whether that lifestyle is really desirable or not. To the persons involved it's natural and so it feels natural to the viewer.

I hope the rather spoiler[dour ending] of episode 12 will set the tone for the rest of the series. I think it's good to have seen these people bond spoiler[before actually finishing anyone off - I mean you first have to make us care about them and then mercilessly shock us. ]
spoiler[As long as they don't kill Eugene.] Then every positive thing I've ever said about this show will turn to dust and I'll give it a Worst Ever rating for sure Wink.
Also, hope for a conflict between Mikazuki and Orga. They've been pals forever, but especially Mika is dependent on Orga's judgement (do real friends do that...?) and there have already been moments where the strains that they stubbornly put on themselves with their kind of friendship have been shown. Instead of being themselves in each other's company, they strain themselves to always be 'strong' in the face of the other. This will someday be a big problem and I'm looking forward to it. Mika is not really my kinda guy and not really relatable but he's an okay character that plays his role well. I wonder what Orga sees in him. Orga on the other hand is really relatable, even without knowing his detailed past. His confidence, leadership and charisma shine through his look, wit and voice, but he shows (small) moments of vulnerability fitting for someone like him.

@Beltane: Is Pedro perhaps a playful wink to Excel saga or a story that Excel saga borrowed the Pedro name from? Since poor Pedro in Excel saga always got the short end of the stick (IIRC).
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Spoilers for ep.12, just in case.

spoiler[In most other shows, I'd have celebrated Mika making quick work of the enemy pilots, but these kids have nothing and were treated like garbage (they're all skin and bones too). And they got disposed of like garbage too. Masahiro brother couldn't even conceive the fact that he could go with his brother, and died saving him instead because he thought so little of himself. How tragic. ]

EDIT: Whoops I meant ep.12.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 13:

Well, that got emotional. RIP Masahiro, he'll be missed but I'm glad to see Kudal fall. That bastard had it coming with such an ego.

Good episode overall. This concluded the battle from the previous few episodes. I also kinda like the bits of focus on the relationships this episode. In particular, it looks like Mika took the step and kissed Aina lol. Her reactions was priceless. I think that's going to be on her mind for quite some time Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
Something tells me Mikazuki needs professional help. Or he's already broken too much inside. Orga is far easier to read and learns something new every episode, thus slowly becoming an adult.
Mikazuki seems a bit static in character. He's always cool and collected, save for his trembling this episode. However, he did unconciously try to hide that feeling. He doesn't want to be weak in front of Orga after all.
He enjoys killing, earlier on didn't care about killing and never thinks for his own whenever it's about important choices. In daily life he seems to have his own opinion, but whenever it matters he just does what he's been told. I'm not sure how that could ever make him grow a decent and healthy personality.
Furthermore, where Orga is generally confident, he often thinks back on his actions and feelings and takes other people's advice (sometimes disgruntled) to heart. Mikazuki just seems confident without ever worrying whether he does everything right. I sense an emotion regulation problem acoming.
That world is just lucky that Orga has power over him - for now.
You can see that the other kids do care about killing others, but they sometimes have to make the hard choice and thus shoot.

I don't think he fell in love with Kudelia (yet), he just did that on a whim. His testosterone was probably reacting to her hug.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
McGillis shows off that he knows how to make a girl feel special, and this confirms why Almiria fawns over her "Macky" when given the chance.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:41 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
I don't think he fell in love with Kudelia (yet), he just did that on a whim.

I think he's found her interesting, like a puzzle box, for a long time, so he just decided to see what would happen (I was surprised he said she was cute), but he clearly got the idea from watching Amida and Naze.

And wasn't that a hilarious tableau? The various expressions on everyone's faces spelled out their characters perfectly. Smile

I liked the "fireworks." Kind of like shooting flaming arrows. Sad
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Yes, those were fun moments. I like how this show doesn't shy away from things like this: displaying intimacy and different ways of life.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 14:

I kinda like the new OP song but the previous one is still better imo.
Hmm, so it looks like a set up for Aina and Tekkadan this episode. It's interesting to note that Fumitan didn't go with that original plan so she is questioning herself what side she should ally herself with.

Somehow, I have a feeling someone is going to die in the upcoming episodes. Maybe Fumitan? Either way, Aina avoided a possible fatal confrontation this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
@Stark: Well, since Biscuit is meeting his brother, he or his relative is in serious danger plotwise. Either way, this incident looks like the beginning of real trouble.
Also, that mask. Classic Gundam Laughing
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Ep 14 "Guns solve EVERYTHING!" no wait, no it just adds more oil to the fire.

Obviously a whole mess of false flag games are going on, the audience simply must wait and see who is truly motivating this endless cycle of strife and if the efforts of Tekkadan even amount to anything aside from being a piece on the board.
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or spoiler[does the guy with the mask look like a male Azee Gurumin?]
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
@Stark: Well, since Biscuit is meeting his brother, he or his relative is in serious danger plotwise. Either way, this incident looks like the beginning of real trouble.
Also, that mask. Classic Gundam Laughing

Oh Biscuit is dead next week for sure. I mean look at the last time someone was reunited with there long lost big brother Laughing
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
If Biscuit goes, I'm gonna be upset 'cause he's one of my fave chars, both in design and personality.

Spoilers for EP14, just in case: spoiler[Fumitan's betrayal was all but blatant, though I didn't want to believe it. Constant close-ups of her guilty-looking face in this ep and previous ones, her conversations with Nobliss, who wants to make Kudelia a martyr for the sake of the rebellion, constantly being at her comp dealing with communications and with her being a techie, she was the one most likely to have changed the order under their noses. Tekkadan got played.

McGillis confirmed as this show's Char-clone. He said something about moving a "piece" of some kind, I think we'll find out what that is next week. Saw another character in the OP with traditional Japanese make-up, she looks interesting.]

I dunno why, but I love the way the show portrays the transactions/deals Tekkadan has to make in order to thrive. It's an aspect I really appreciate.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 14:

I wasn't a big fan of Atra but seriously, she deserves some credit for being a brave girl and attempting to impersonate Aina. Fumitan is a trick pony. Even with the truth revealed, I wonder where her loyalty lies.

Glad to see Mika come to the recuse.

Poor Aina, I hope she doesn't run into more trouble....but I have a feeling she will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13