• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aria the Scarlet Ammo Double A (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19 line of monologue: "I don't have the talent to write a good story!"

The irony. Oh, the irony.

Aside from that, there was some beautiful artwork that was apropos to absolutely nothing at about 21:45.

That schtick about Akari getting her gun back is getting way old. She really ought to be able to come up with a new ploy by now.

Nothing else to say.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
The censored yuri speech was worth a laugh.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:29 am Reply with quote
So we got the inevitable swimsuit episode this week. I doubt Akari knew there were some ulterior motives to get there by Urara...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:34 am Reply with quote
I have come to the conclusion with this series that it is the most entertaining when it decides to be completely unreasonable, rather than anything Aria related. At the same time we have had the third season of Yuru Yuri, and is clearly far better at the light yuri like friendship moments that are somewhat in this. Having her "friends" stalker up on Akari, and having the younger girl be really pushy is probably the best thing it has.

Sure there is a plot going on with Akari, but it has been so sparse, including absent from this episode, that it has felt like a non entity by taking advantage of an already established world. Although next episode looks to be tackling it, but that would be like the 9th episode.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Ep 20:

Well that was a rather tiresomely elaborate rape attempt. All in good fun I suppose.

I don't suppose even a moron could have realized that Akira could have just returned to the locker room any time turning the day and recovered her gun. Aria certainly wasn't carrying it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Oh boy, they are getting serious into this show now at least in the second half. Aria marked s a target while the other girls fought against some weird people. I think Akari demonstrated her skills a bit with that target shooting? I think it's too bad that she lacks confidence still...

Also, don't mess with Aria even if she appears to be unguarded.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:07 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I think it's too bad that she lacks confidence still...

It goes beyond being an issue of confidence. Akira unequivocally showed herself as being unfit spoiler[for a combat role (in this case street combat)] because she is carrying some emotional baggage that keeps her from using whatever skills she has. Had her "partner" been depending on her he/she would have been just out of luck. Good for Aria for spoiler[telling her to quit.] She wouldn't be doing Akira any favors by stringing her along.

Of course it is totally predictable what will happen next. Akira will spoiler[totally redeem herself somehow by saving] Aria.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
It seems that it is not combat skill that Akari lacks, it is the inability to turn off the go for the kill side. Mixed with what seems to be a fear of killing, makes her incapable. Guesses seem to be on her either being trained to be an assassin, or more. It was effortless for her to totally destroy all vital spots on the test target, so the entire time she has been trying not to do that, to go against what seems to be instincts. Her worship of Aria has been hard to understand up till now, it has felt like a moe excuse, but it is one element she is focusing on.

Also, totally weird that if Aria had someone targeting her that she would decide to stay with a junior who is not that guarded, and a normal girl that would be put in danger. I was thinking that it was more of an excuse.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

First serious episode in awhile or perhaps the actual first one...? Hmm.

So we find out more about Akari and Momoka. About time. Kyochikutou is a weird girl, even her name has a bad vibe to it. I really wonder how they will wrap this up in just a few more episodes though? This feel rushed with this certain revelation.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
First serious episode in awhile or perhaps the actual first one...? Hmm.

And it took 10 episodes to get there? Too little too late I'd say, but still better late than never.

There are a lot of problems with the story, but I am having more than a little bit of problem of the ham-handedness of it all. Did anyone besides me find the cheery mom-and-daughters toddler training of death techniques rather cloying and stupid (flashback)?

Oddly enough, I thought the use of Kinji without any lines (VA not available or too expensive I guess) rather effective. But then the effect was wasted because it is hard to believe he wouldn't be waiting with everyone else at the hospital. Or at least visible.

I'll hang around to see how Akira saves her sister, but I'm not expecting much.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Oddly enough, I thought the use of Kinji without any lines (VA not available or too expensive I guess) rather effective. But then the effect was wasted because it is hard to believe he wouldn't be waiting with everyone else at the hospital. Or at least visible.

Kinji's had several speaking parts already so it's not a matter of getting his VA back. It's a matter of nobody wanting any penises in their yuri bait shows.

It's been awhile since I've seen the main series, but did Aria getting injured happen in there or is this spin off original?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

It's been awhile since I've seen the main series, but did Aria getting injured happen in there or is this spin off original?

This episode is in the same timeline as ep 3 of the original.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:09 am Reply with quote
Oh, so AA refers to their names together. The direction of the show has been off that this feels a bit sudden. Ways I think it could have been improved would be deciding more to be its own thing (psycho yuri characters), and or really hinting this side of Akari more. I think we did have that dream at the beginning and a hint that there was more to Akari, but the truth did not feel effectively signalled. I mean like seeing a hint that maybe Akari had to fight urges to get deadly, maybe her having some mantra focusing on her desire of non-kill takedowns.

Totally rewriting the character, but could you imagine if we found out that the kind of ditzy thing was a personality she put on to hold back her ability to kill so effortlessly in combat? She could be comparable to honeypot loli, and they could question if there was value in that side of her despite it actually being a limiter, especially with two of her friends being attracted to that side. Rather than have it feel like they copy pasted a ditzy character from another series and stuck on this side of her, they could have taken advantage of this to turn things on their head. Well chances are that we will have her struggle a bit with the other side, but it won't be as interesting.

Also probably could have done with mum and her daughters living in the country but wearing bloomers for some reason. Despite the tone change, it feels like they are not entirely committed to it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Is it? I was reading somewhere that the ninja girl who is Kinji's Amica as we have seen, became so after the anime finished? I assumed things like the hairclip Aria wears might have been some indication it was somewhere down in the timeline.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

Is it? I was reading somewhere that the ninja girl who is Kinji's Amica as we have seen, became so after the anime finished? I assumed things like the hairclip Aria wears might have been some indication it was somewhere down in the timeline.

Yeah AA is just a different universe. There are slight differences from the original like Kinji being an S rank in his 2nd year in AA while still being the lowest rank in his 2nd year in the original. Kinji probably becomes S rank later in the original, hence why the ninja girl becomes his amica after the original anime series ended.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4