• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - A Matter of Light and Death

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
I agree that it's absurd that the Inagaki didn't take into consideration that high school kids aren't allowed to gamble in Vegas. Anyway, I'd actually rate Death Note 8 to a B, because the last couple of volumes were weak and anti-climactic.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
well, my only problem was that Deathnote got a C.
But with all the craziness spoiler[seeing Light trying to keep the fact he's Kira a secert even going so far as to actually think about killing his sister and father for once] I would at least have given it a B. because yes, some of it was a bit slow.

And Mello's tounge is creepy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:32 am Reply with quote
I think the reason DN 8's pacing didn't bother me was that there were more uncertainties than in the previous installments. This made executing the plans more challenging, and thus more interesting. Ohba seemed to wrap up the conflicts in volumes 5-7 too easily, and the story got boring. It's nice that Light has tougher opponents in the form of Mello and Near.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:56 am Reply with quote
The only thing here that I'm interested in is vol 2 of Yakitate Japan.

Having read the Scanlations, it's so good, I'm now buying it. I just wished that vol 2 had been released a little quicker. If you think that making bread is boring, I'd suggest you give this a try. I did and was hooked. And the end sequence of the Anime is just so funny. Saturday Night Fever returns^.^

And now to puzzle over the reason Suzuka vol 1 is bigger than the rest of my new releases. It's the same size as Aqua Knight (from 2002) and the DH releases of Junko Mizuno.

JBV^_^
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
I think the C+ for Death Note 8 is a bit generous myself. I didn't enjoy volume 8 even remotely as much as 1-7 (including the parts in 1-7 I didn't like). For me, the story is just getting too ridiculous, though I'll give it the possibility that it's just setting things up for later, but the most enjoyable things about this volume in my opinion was its comic relief and how it handled all of that. I'll be sticking around until the end, but I really hope it picks itself back up.

I had watched the Death March in the anime before reading the manga, and I was actually dreading this part of the manga, because it just sucks in the anime. But I really like how it all went down in printed form, so I like it better than the rating. Though, it is clearly second string material for Eyeshield, but I look forward to seeing it pick itself back up in the coming volumes.

And I have nothing but kind words for Yakitate!! Japan. I really hate waiting for these volumes to come out, but it's worth it to get ahold of them.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Finally, I'm HAPPY someone gave After School Nightmare, it's due. I seriously love the first volume and still get the second one next month. I have to disagree on the review about the lack of detail backgrounds and the ordinary school design. I think that is the point ogf it. It's supposed to look like an ordinary school with a big secret. Granted, I want to know why they have to sleep during this special "class" instead of home. It most likely has something to the school. We'll hafta get reading then. I strongly reccomend this series.

Regarding Eyeshield, I thought Volume 10 more of a transitional volume than anything. I personally enjoyed the Death March arc. I would've given it a B+.

And I think the reviewer has kinda unfair to put that much emphasis on Sayu's kidnapping in Death Note. The kidnapping was serving a much bigger purpose, and that is to introduce the new players, Mello and Near. It also show that Light is still unwilling to kill his family (something he agonizes constantly), which means he still have some humanity left. I agree it's a cool down from the greatness of Volume 7 but I treat it more as a transitional volume. It did pick up the pace at the end of the volume though and I heard it gets better from there.

And the Princess Princess, the point isn't the crossing but Tohru, Yuujirou and Mikoto dealing with life while having to do this weird custom and do it together. The au thor herself that Puri-Puri is about friendship. And Tohru IS the main character, it doesn't seem like it in the first volume, but it comes more apparent as the story goes along.

But more crossdressing doesn't hurt. LMAO.

And I think the translation of Yakitate!! Japan isn't so great. You can call me an elitist or whatever, but the Japanese jokes were funnier. I'm still wary on how they're gonna pull over the wordplay jokes that becomes very dominant in later chapters. I rather stick with the scanlation until I see some improvements.

And called it Hands of the Sun is lame... Ick.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
And now to puzzle over the reason Suzuka vol 1 is bigger than the rest of my new releases. It's the same size as Aqua Knight (from 2002) and the DH releases of Junko Mizuno.

Suzuka and the rest of Del Rey's mature line is sized bigger as a visual cue to booksellers that "Hey, this one has naked boobies in it!" and must be shrinkwrapped/shelved accordingly.

(as an added bonus, you get to enjoy the naked boobies in greater detail)
milcor1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
WOW, that cover for Yakitate Japan 2 is frightening, in an awesome kind of way.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
I think the C+ for Death Note 8 is a bit generous myself. I didn't enjoy volume 8 even remotely as much as 1-7 (including the parts in 1-7 I didn't like). For me, the story is just getting too ridiculous, though I'll give it the possibility that it's just setting things up for later, but the most enjoyable things about this volume in my opinion was its comic relief and how it handled all of that. I'll be sticking around until the end, but I really hope it picks itself back up.

Strictly speaking for future volumes, the second half of Death Note does actually get up to speed briefly (either in volume nine or ten, can't remember; somewhere around chapter eighty), but then it falls flat on its face again with the redundant and mundane dialogue that Carlo has taken note of in volume eight. A fair amount of people who've read the scanlations still enjoyed the second half, but the general consesus is that it's very poor that ends in a rather lackluster (an unrealistic considering what the final chapter addresses). I fall in the latter category, and while I know that it's all subjective and that jazz... I can't help but look at the second half of Death Note and think that "bad writing ruins a series with potential," most notably because the manga should've ended in volume seven.

As for the other manga mentioned here, I somewhat remember the tenth volume of Eyeshield 21 and believed it to be somewhat entertaining for what was a "training" arc. At the very least it sets itself up so that we really don't have to endure another one of the aforementioned training arc again (at least not from where Japan currently is, and it's safe to say that there won't be considering the series is nearing its end).

Finally, I loved the second volume of Yakitate!! Japan. I wasn't really convinced in the first volume, but this second one had me floored. Haven't laughed that hard since Yotsuba&! (for entirely different reasons of comedy, of course). The characters certainly grow on ya, and both the designs and facial expressions are brilliant. Really, how could you go wrong with a:

Carlo wrote:
Gundamesque store owner

If it keeps this up, it might even become my favorite shounen series ahead of both Fullmetal Alchemist and One Piece.

milcor1 wrote:
WOW, that cover for Yakitate Japan 2 is frightening, in an awesome kind of way.

Afros are awesome, period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1