• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Utawarerumono

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
so i finally got around to watching this, and i have to say i was blown away. this series was way better than i was expecting it to be. it starts off really cliche, but then after spoiler[Hakuoro overthrows the emperor] this became something else entirely. not only is the plot great, but the action scenes are also top notch. the levels of violence in this show even rival Berserk sometimes.

i still have a few questions though.

1. spoiler[what exactly killed mankind? they never explain it]

2.spoiler[what is Hakuoro's real name? i don't think it's Rak Shine. also where did he get the mask from and what was the deal with him supposedly killing his family?]

all in all, this was an excellent series. i highly recommend checking it out when ADV releases it next month.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:46 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear that, since the last few ADV releases I bought were all duds. I just finished the first Guyver DVD and was really disappointed. I decided to give This Ugly yet Beautiful World a second chance since volumes 2 and 3 are currently on sale, but didn't care for the first volume. The last ADV DVDs that I really enjoyed (not counting Macross) were back when Area 88, Yugo, and Elfen Leid were coming out a year ago! What happened to ADV?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Actually I have been rather pleased with ADV recently with their selection of anime they've released. During the big licensing rush from a few years back it seems like ADV got alot of new series but very few of them grabbed my attention, and I was a bit disapointed that they broke their good reputation they built in the 90's. But now they're getting some quality programming like Kino's Journey, Pani Poni Dash!, and TUYBW.

Oh and one question about Utawarerumono; what's the legal age of consent in dog years? Wink
Lasco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote
1. spoiler[It was just some apocolyptic event from what i remember, which the humans were too weak to survive in that environment.]

2. spoiler[He is known as Mizushima when he was an researcher studying Witsuarunemitea, when he's shot and dying he offers his body as a vessel to Witsuarunemitea, then is frozen or something and known as IceMan. So i guess at the time the series is taking place he's Witsuarunemitea....well at least one half since he had split when he found out what they had done to experiment 3510 (Mikoto).]

Overall it was a good series, the cg in some of the battles felt kind of out of place, but its something i plan on buying when the domestic releases come out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Lasco wrote:
1. spoiler[It was just some apocolyptic event from what i remember, which the humans were too weak to survive in that environment.]

Also spoiler[in regards of Kamyu's "alter ego", didn't she have the ability to control the satellites in space in which she used it to completely destroy the domes of which the regular humans lived? ]
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Why do so many great fantasy medieval-like series have to spoiler[turn sci-fi towards the end? It's kind of...stupid when the setting has been fantasy for the majority of the series.]
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Why do so many great fantasy medieval-like series have to spoiler[turn sci-fi towards the end? It's kind of...stupid when the setting has been fantasy for the majority of the series.]

well there is such thing as Fantasy/Sci-fi genre's and HELL it sure as hell worked for this series Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Animefreak6969 wrote:
well there is such thing as Fantasy/Sci-fi genre's and HELL it sure as hell worked for this series Anime smile

Well after seeing it happen again and again in various fantasy series it's less "WOW!" and more like "Oh no...not again..."
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I liked the turn a lot, I was pretty disgusted with the show for a number of reasons and serious flaws in the story, directing, script, and plot by the end; so the fact that there was a completely unexpected explanation that managed to explain so much more than I could have hoped for at that point was a huge redeeming factor for me. I don't like how many shows do it, and agree it is becoming a bit 'tired', but there really was no other option for this series. There was simply too much unexplainable stuff without taking the route they did in the last 2-3 eps.

I also really love stories that turn out not 100% happy, I'm not a sadist, but I enjoy realistic stories and in real life, nothing ever goes as planned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
I also really love stories that turn out not 100% happy, I'm not a sadist, but I enjoy realistic stories and in real life, nothing ever goes as planned.

yes i definitely agree here. i hate copouts with a passion.

i'm kinda curious though: what do you mean by serious flaws in directing?
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
selenta wrote:

I like it when they give the image that its going to be a Not-so-Good ending then right at the end when you're about to cry, something funny happens and you're good to go............like a crunch wrap supreme
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is on my "want to see" list since I've seen it in the recent issue of Newtype USA and so far nothing that ya'll have said makes me want to change my mind so thanks for a bit of confirmation that I want to see this series.

BTW - Newtype USA suggests, that if you are unable to wrap your tongue around the title, just call it Utah Wally Ramono. It's close enough, easier to say and your English speaking tongue will thank you for it! Wink
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote
I remember this series being recomended to me by a friend a while back, and I'd neglected to read up on it. Thanks for the reminder. It may have to wait a while though as I'm already collecting *counts* 8 other series at the moment. Surprised
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:43 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
BTW - Newtype USA suggests, that if you are unable to wrap your tongue around the title, just call it Utah Wally Ramono. It's close enough, easier to say and your English speaking tongue will thank you for it! Wink

I personally think "Utawa Ray Romano" is easier.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
selenta wrote:

I don't know, I was basically just using blanket statements to cover my opinion that the ending was convoluted, rushed feeling, not explained clearly enough, not done in the right order for the best impact and ease of explanation, that it was simply handled incorrectly on all levels. The plot did a good job of clearing everything up in the end... but that seemed to be in spite of everything else in the last 2-3 eps. (Though I can not express my undying love for how they dealt with Kuuya's character at the end)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2