• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Neon Genesis Evangelion Japanese Blu-ray quality

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fikshen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
So, I recently got the JP Blu-ray release of the Eva series, and right off the bat, I though the transfer was great. The film grain was completely in tact, the line detail was nice... it looked like they really just did a nice, HD capture of the original source. A lot of flaws show up, but I'm glad they didn't fix them because I think it gives Eva that special feel.

However, on episode 16, I noticed a huge drop in quality... like they were just taking an old SD transfer from an older DVD and using it instead. Maybe some of the originals are no longer available?
I haven't continued watching further yet, but I will soon and will post how the picture quality looks after another few episodes.

There could be more info about this somewhere online, but I imagine it's on Japanese-language websites, and my Japanese isn't quite up to the level where I could find out more.
I'm going to try reading through some of the reviews and comments on Amazon JP about this release to see if anyone else has said much (I should be able to understand enough to get the gist of the comments).

It would be great if this release had English subs, but I'm happy there are at least JP subs.

has anyone else bought this release?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fikshen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was fast.... I was sifting through the comments on Amazon JP, and surely enough, someone posted that episode 16 didn't have a good master to work from.
So to anyone who's buying this, expect great quality except for episode 16.

I'm saving Death/Rebirth and End of Eva til after I finish, but I've heard Death (True) isn't a real remaster, but we'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Yea, I think there was somebody who imported it that brought that up on Blu-ray.com (?).

BTW, this should and probably will be moved to the retail forum.
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
ANN has a great write-up about the new Eva release in English. I am linking the article here.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 16 was an SD upscale using the same process as Toradora because they no longer have the 16mm film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1