• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Live on Tape from Anime Expo 2011

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to sound like I'm harping on you, but the manga sales for BE disagree on that front too. In the latest NYT Bestsellers, both volumes that are released ranked. As far as the anime goes, I think the disappointment and shock of it being sub-only says a good bit about how popular it is here. While, yes, there are always people disappointed about sub-only releases, there's hardly ever shock.

Maybe I'll have a better understanding of where you stand if I knew how you were making the assessment that it's a "thud". Are you just going by the streaming numbers you guys have here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
As for the Digital Manga crowdsourcing argument, I think the idea to tie success to individual series as the problem, as most of the drama in the scanning/fansub world involves groups trying to 1 up each other. Since fanwork is essentially egotistically driven, if they can't stroke it they won't work it. My belief is that they need to promote more of the success of the brand and just the entire scene as a whole. Pay for each chapter submitted, regardless of the series. QC stuff so the credit doesn't go to crap. After survival fees, pay the scanners first from the profits of the entire site, rather than individual series. Drama will happen, but the system shouldn't incentivize it.

As for series that are popular here that won't be released? Anything Macross.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to chime in and say that I also enjoyed your E3 podcast and that I wouldn't mind having video games podcasts a few times a year. A little bit of cynicism is ok since it seemed like the overall coverage for E3 was pretty positive. Nothing wrong with another point of view.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:05 pm Reply with quote
I had a great time last year. Was meaning to come this year, but couldn't due to economic reasons. Hopefully next year.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:29 pm Reply with quote
it would be awesome if ANN can interview Capcom's Seth Killian
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else think it's kind of mean-spirited of them to basically unload their junk on anime fans asking them questions? I know they're supposed to be "prizes" but in context it sounds like it's all terrible stuff related to bad anime they just want to get rid of. It probably depends on how the audience reacted to it (and we can't see the faces), but I thought it was crass.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think so, the fans could've traded the stuff away afterwords (or possibly just said they didn't want a prize). Some of my friends have won or gotten some pretty awful stuff at conventions but we had fun watching it anyway, and then devising plans to get ride of it. Anime hyper
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
Does anyone else think it's kind of mean-spirited of them to basically unload their junk on anime fans asking them questions? I know they're supposed to be "prizes" but in context it sounds like it's all terrible stuff related to bad anime they just want to get rid of. It probably depends on how the audience reacted to it (and we can't see the faces), but I thought it was crass.

It's all just fun, obviously. It's like winning the booby prize. And you had the option of saying no.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:

Did you hear the audience laughing and having a good time? I did. Some of it even got picked up on mic!

People were trading prizes with eachother in the audience afterward, swapping what they got for something they did want. It all worked out pretty well I think. People like irony!

As for "unloading junk I don't want", most of that stuff was specifically purchased in the dealer's room for maximum groan factor by me before the show. I don't think anyone was actually upset or insulted by any of it. It was all in good fun.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac, thanks for letting us know where the "prizes" came from. Not only did you provide some fun to those in attendance, you also supported some of the vendors in the dealer's room with your purchases. I definitely heard laughing and jovial sounds in the podcast when the "prizes" were handed out as well, so it certainly sounds like it was a "win-win" situation for all involved. Smile

Zac wrote:
As for "unloading junk I don't want", most of that stuff was specifically purchased in the dealer's room for maximum groan factor by me before the show. I don't think anyone was actually upset or insulted by any of it. It was all in good fun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I like the prizes of pain, even though I rarely ask questions, so have never gotten a prize from ANN. It's funnier and different than prizes that is actually cool stuff. Besides people end up trading and getting stuff they like and if not, the prize becomes a memento of the fun and silliness that comes with the podcast.

Btw that was me sitting behind Tempest in case anyone noticed, I probably kinda stood out a bit.
Brand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I was glad I got to go this year. I listen to the podcast every week but I honestly never thought I'd make it out to the west coast for an AX (I have my friends to thank for that) so it was really cool to finally see you guys. I thought the prizes where great, I'm sad I couldn't think of a good question to ask.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3