• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
Meh, not really arguing to win, was just having a looong argument on another forum, and wondered what people here thought. It's fine if you don't want to go into details though.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The words ugly and bad are just subjective descriptions of taste.
The mouths in Usagi Drop are lower than other mouths in anime, true enough. But going the style of Usagi Drop is ugly because their mouths are too low is just a matter of opinion even when paired with a fact.

"ugly" and "bad" is subjective, but lower than normal and a-harmonic, disproportional -- objective... there is nothing can be done about that, it is fact, which will not change no matter if how to describe it...

Quote:
Suggesting that a typical Japanese man would keep a deadpan facade when faced with the situations around Daikchi is absurd stereotyping by treating Japanese men as some uniform group that must all act a certain way. There is no manual of how a Japanese man should move his face and there are men that will use their face as tools of expression.

If you don't have anything to say that is more than basically "I think it therefore it's fact." we have no reason to clog up this thread with your immovable opinion/truth.
Goodluck with your stereotyping.

sorry, but it is funny to read that this is stereotypic since Usagi Drop's very own mangaka portrays traditional family reactions accurately, with no weird face expressions... and she is not stereotyping...

Etrien wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
i am not trying superimpose anything, this is just fact of Japanese life, that emotions are constrained most of the time even within families...

へえ、マジ? I'm not sure what families you've been spending time with, but I've gotta politely disagree with this statement. I'll give you that on a case by case basis, a Japanese person might be marginally more reserved than a westerner. But marginal is all it is. To assume that universally applies to all times and places really is just ridiculous stereotyping.

If you've ever seen a Japanese game show - pretty much any - then you've also seen the (admittedly goofy) huge, loud reactions the contestants and staff give. That isn't just TV. If you spend time with people in a casual situation, you can expect all kinds of loud outbursts, contorted facial expressions and animated gestures. Honestly, the shows of emotion I see from the Japanese are often much more dynamic and emphasized than what I see from foreigners.

this public display of emotions and reaction about mundane things are indeed more bright among Japanese people (i know quite a number of them personally, not via internet) than among others, but in family, private matters Usagi Drop's mangaka (Yumi Unita) portrays reactions in the family meeting quite correctly...

people in Japan in these matters are more constrained, they do not make weird faces usually... and not the more so in such kind of meetings... she does not stereotype anything...
iatheia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:01 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

"ugly" and "bad" is subjective, but lower than normal and a-harmonic, disproportional -- objective... there is nothing can be done about that, it is fact, which will not change no matter if how to describe it...

Sorry to get into this, but, wow. You do realize that we are talking about anime? Or is it normal to have eyes that are half your face, legs that are as long as both of your arms combined? It looks different. It looks unusual. In that setting it works.

MaxSouth wrote:

sorry, but it is funny to read that this is stereotypic since Usagi Drop's very own mangaka portrays traditional family reactions accurately, with no weird face expressions... and she is not stereotyping...

...? And you have interacted with Japanese people a lot, then? They aren't some robots, you know. Just a bit, a bit more reserved. Not to mention a family in mourning. And it is my understanding that he is younger than everyone else, not counting the children. And I don't remember seeing anything "outside the norm" except for his little outburst that he is adopting her.

And besides, people are different. One person has a right to be different from another, even if they are Japanese. Some values are different from one family to another. Relationships between people *gasp* can be different.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone here watched episode 2 of The Idolm@ster yet?

I didn't get a chance to post last week, but I do wonder if part of the reason it's getting little interest from a lot of people here is because it seems to be catering to fans of the game. Since this game series is Japanese only, and especially since this anime is focusing on The Idolm@ster 2, which is Japanese/Asian Xbox 360 only, almost nobody here has played it.

The enjoyment I get out of this show is being able to see these girls interact with each other a lot more than you see them do in the game. In each episode, you see ALL of the girls to varying degrees. In the game, you mostly just see whichever girls are in your group. If you've played the game, you know all of the songs and it's interesting to see where they fit them into the episodes. The girls are all very true to character and so it's hilarious to see them interact. In episode 2, Iori, Ami, Mami, and Yayoi trying to dress up for the photoshoots was utterly hilarious, but more so if you know the characters from the game. Anyone who has played the first game has heard Ami/Mami's ridiculous "sexy pose" line during the posing lesson and so their dressing up fell into that same ridiculousness.

If you haven't played the games, this anime probably feels like a goofy, "day in the life of an idol" sort of show. And, honestly, that might be a bit boring.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:11 am Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Sorry to get into this, but, wow. You do realize that we are talking about anime? Or is it normal to have eyes that are half your face, legs that are as long as both of your arms combined? It looks different. It looks unusual. In that setting it works.

do you honestly not understand? i am talking about proportions and harmony, which are still very well realistic in anime/manga character design, and not off the wall... even if the eyes are huge, they are not misplaced/displaced... what character design in Usagi Drop, House of Five Leaves, Kekkaishi and Aoi no Exorcist is, however, is disporpotional, aharmonic, "originality for the sake of originality"... Character design style that actually created with talent, does not go into intentionally crippling characters...

Quote:
MaxSouth wrote:

...? And you have interacted with Japanese people a lot, then? They aren't some robots, you know. Just a bit, a bit more reserved. Not to mention a family in mourning. And it is my understanding that he is younger than everyone else, not counting the children. And I don't remember seeing anything "outside the norm" except for his little outburst that he is adopting her.

And besides, people are different. One person has a right to be different from another, even if they are Japanese. Some values are different from one family to another. Relationships between people *gasp* can be different.

he is thirty year old... how come this "younger" argument relates to this? Is not this called "grasping at straws"?... as to main hero's facial expressions, you might want to re-watch the first episode...

people are different... however, what i was pointing out is that this specific character's behaviour does not fit into preamble/setting of the project... he is supposed to be average single thirty year old man working on average job with average smoking habit... there are countless of such people in Japan (and elsewhere)... but all of sudden he is shown expressing weird facial expressions... this is not artistically consistent to the premise... but, again, this is minor issue..
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

do you honestly not understand? i am talking about proportions and harmony, which are still very well realistic in anime/manga character design, and not off the wall... even if the eyes are huge, they are not misplaced/displaced... what character design in Usagi Drop, House of Five Leaves, Kekkaishi and Aoi no Exorcist is, however, is disporpotional, aharmonic, "originality for the sake of originality"... Character design style that actually created with talent, does not go into intentionally crippling characters...

Wow, you're going on about harmony enough, I expect you to be moonlighting as a feng shui guru.

Now, cartoons and animation live on over exaggeration of features. Some people don't like certain styles and ways they go about doing it, like Clamp and their atomically confusing noodle people, or Shojo series with their scary giant eyes, or the Simpsons with everyone having an overbite. Guess what: You don't have to like most, some, or even any of those styles. Your pejorative.

But stop pretending that Usagi Drop and all the other shows you mentioned are anything special. They use exaggeration in ways and create designs you don't like. Fine. You don't like the style. But they are not some great offender of some artistic laws, they are legitimate stylization choices, and for many people they look just fine.

Also and admittedly rather nitpicky: can you stop... typing with no real... endings or beginnings... of sentences... you just trail off...and don't capitalize... and it's kinda... annoying... and hard to get your... point...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:41 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the discussion about mouths being too low on their heads, I immediately thought of the Klasky-Csupo works of the late 90s and early 00s (such as The Wild Thornberrys and As Told By Ginger), where everybody's mouths were on their chins. It felt a little strange at first, but I got used to them.

I don't think there is a consensus, objective idea of what "harmonic" ought to be either. Every artist has his or her idea of what they feel would look best. Heck, some artists eschew harmony outright and just make purposefully grotesque character designs, like Ralph Bakshi and John Kricfalusi.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Sewingrose wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Wow, you're going on about harmony enough, I expect you to be moonlighting as a feng shui guru.

Now, cartoons and animation live on over exaggeration of features. Some people don't like certain styles and ways they go about doing it, like Clamp and their atomically confusing noodle people, or Shojo series with their scary giant eyes, or the Simpsons with everyone having an overbite. Guess what: You don't have to like most, some, or even any of those styles. Your pejorative.

But stop pretending that Usagi Drop and all the other shows you mentioned are anything special. They use exaggeration in ways and create designs you don't like. Fine. You don't like the style. But they are not some great offender of some artistic laws, they are legitimate stylization choices, and for many people they look just fine.

"stop pretending" you did not read the part where i explained how disproportional (not about size, obviously), displaced/misplaced character design features have nothing to do with stylistic exaggerations like huge "anime eyes", etc...

i can draw nose as a mere point, but if it placed in the place, it can be called "style" (though not new, of course)... but if i place such nose (or any other drawn shape of nose) between eyebrows, then this is "originality for the sake of originality"...

or i can draw eyes which could be huge, and it is a style... but if i put these eyes on the forehead, then it is "originality for the sake of originality"...

the same is with cut-off noses in Kekkaishi and Aoi no Exorcist, or mouth painted at the bottom of the chin like in Usagi Drop or, more severely, in House of Five Leaves...

Quote:
Also and admittedly rather nitpicky: can you stop... typing with no real... endings or beginnings... of sentences... you just trail off...and don't capitalize... and it's kinda... annoying... and hard to get your... point...

this is totally off... i complete my sentences, so there is no problem with getting my point...
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who tries to argue objectivity in art automatically fails. Period.

Your argument about "harmony" fails too. You choose to call it "too far down" so it's not harmonious. I choose to call it "stylistically exaggerated upper lip" which makes it similar to big CLAMP eyes. If anything, characters in Five Leaves simply had unnaturally big mouths (for anime anyway), if you think about it. On a similar note, I've seen people criticize CLAMP as unnatural because of weird eye spacing. Methinks, you're grasping at straws, here.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Thats debatable.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
Ausdoerrt wrote:
Thats debatable.

If the posts on the last few pages of this article are representative of typical art argument then it is not debatable the fail is clear.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Thank you. *tips hat* Laughing

Anyhow, there are certain objective qualities that can be discussed (still with a subjective bias), but once one gets into artistic expression objectivity doesn't exist.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I always find it interesting how these Preview Guide's just sort of fade away without an announced end. I had thought someone would have wanted to review a couple more 2nd episodes, like the time-skipped 2nd episode of No. 6

anyway,

I wanted to mention to those that may have not noticed that I'm attempting to create a season "master thread" to continue the discussion of the season as a whole in the General: Anime section. A good place to list impressions of multiple series at once or discuss the shows that don't quite rate a dedicated talkback of their own.

the title will change as the season progresses, through the first 4-5 weeks it's called
Summer Season 2011: First Impressions
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 30 of 30