• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Twitter Sleuthing Morality?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/shogo_511

I happened across this dude while looking at Studio Mark's twitter feed, and after working some Google-fu, I'm thinking he probably is Shogo Matsumoto (松本翔吾). He has retweets on Shonen Hollywood, Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold and Diabolik Lovers, More Blood. All are ZEXCS productions, so I'm thinking he works there. Anyway, not sure what sort of certainty we need to add the info to the page, and also he is only using his given name on Twitter so even if the sleuthing is correct he might be seeking some privacy/anonymity.

What do you think?

(Aside: I've seen a couple animators call their non-paid drawings "graffiti," which I find amusing.)
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
(Aside: I've seen a couple animators call their non-paid drawings "graffiti," which I find amusing.)

You may have seen a dictionary say, 'The Japanese word "rakugaki" means "graffiti",' or something along those lines, but the signified of 'rakugaki' does not completely correspond to that of 'graffiti'.
When a little boy light-heartedly draws a picture of, for example, a manga character which he likes on a piece of paper, it, too, is rakugaki. In fact, writing pads on which children (or bored grown-ups) light-heartedly draw pictures are sold as rakugaki-chō (rakugaki notebooks) in Japan.
So when an animator, who probably was a boy that liked to draw manga characters or something on a rakugaki notebook, light-heartedly draws a picture which will not be commercially used and he calls it rakugaki, actually, it makes sense well.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1