• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-12-01]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andromeda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But we're lured into being attracted to Misato. And as our minds form the kind of women we want to spend our lives with, we create a mental image of a girl that can't possibly exist. We also begin to see women as the sum of body parts (tall + long beautiful hair + big bust + small waist + wears few clothes = perfect woman) instead of seeing them as the whole, imperfect human being they are.

Wait, wait, wait... you're telling me Misato isn't an "imperfect human being"? She 's hor, sure, but have you even SEEN Evangelion? Even so much as the second episode?? She's a drunk in her off hours, is a slut because of psychological issues that any sane man would balk at, and has daddy issues and childhood trauma to boot.

Oh! And let's not forget the other attractive main Eva females!

Asuka = parental abandonment issues, childhood trauma, scary temper, arrogant to the extreme, violent, bossy. Also, kinda whiney to boot.

Rei = dude, she's not even a natural human. She's a creepy clone amalgamation thing with a few dozen (well, originally anyway) creepy, soulless copies to replace the original if it dies. She's also laconic to a fault, and could apparently care less about sex and relationships for the most part.

Ritsuko = Oh she's pretty and smart, alright, but she's also a manipulative bitch. ("She's... just not that good at living, I guess" was it? In regards to Rei? Whom her mother had killed an earlier child-aged clone of? Yeah, no wonder!) Not that the character isn't entertaining IMO, but seriously. I wouldn't date her (or Asuka, or Rei) in a million years!

Yeah, real "perfect". Next time don't use an Evangelion character as an example of your "perfect woman" anti-fan service argument, because Gainax's use of fan service in Eva is REALLY cynical. Laughing

Quote:
We pass these ideas through the media (which shows us what we want to see – magazine covers, television, anime, advertising) and through our relationships.

You do realize what you just acknowledged, right?

You just acknowledged that we WANT TO SEE it. In other words, if it hadn't already meshed with personal preferences and ideals of beauty, it would never be "passed" to us at all, because it wouldn't be popular.

Quote:

What a travesty it will be when we teach our children that women are objects that are most useful and worthy when they are physically perfect (after all, children will pick up what we believe and do, not necessarily what we say).

You'd have to be a really crappy, impulsive parent in order to really give that impression to children young enough to really be that impressionable. Seriously.

If you want to have your children not freak out about standards of beauty so much, introduce them to British television. Razz

Quote:

While anime will likely never rid itself of fanservice (supply naturally follows demand), I hope that we'll at least consider changing some of our viewing habits. I hope that we'll realize that when CN puts digital bathing suits on Ryoko and Ayeka, it's not so bad after all. I hope that we'll choose to buy "My Neighbor Totoro" instead of the next installment of "Negima!?."

You know, some of the popular shows right now have perfectly realistic women on them. Look at the women (Lust aside, of course) in Fullmetal Alchemist. Winry's a girl next door, pretty yes but her proportions aren't all that realistic compared to the Evangelion women (whose fan service potential is, in fact, again quite cynical), and Riza Hawkeye isn't Misato-esque either. You don't have to restrict yourself to children's shows to avoid most fan service.

And going on the less universally-known, have you ever tried "Someday's Dreamers"? It's a quiet little slice-of-life fantasy series where girls are real people, not "sex objects". Kind of obscure compared to a lot of titles out there, but pretty good. And what about Azumanga Daioh? Not only are young girls NOT treated as sex objects, the one guy who does treat them like that is portrayed as a major creepazoid!

[quote]
And please, please I hope that you'll skip that Hot Springs Planet Tenrai episode and go straight to Cutting the Galactic Leyline.
Quote:

WTF? That actually has plot elements in it, you know. Dont' tell people to skip it just because of the fan service, that's stupid, if they have the chance to see the episode they should.

By the way, this is all coming from a woman, who usually does prefer non-"fanservice" titles, so it's not like it's coming from a dirty old man who wants more fan service in everything he buys. It's just that some of your arguments really don't hold much water.

Besides, nobody ever seems to complain about the objectification of men in things like Fushigi Yuugi or Gravitation or Saikyuki. Why is one type of fan service ignored here and the other not? Not that I don't find it interesting that it's a man arguing against objectification of women in anime, but seriously, it's not like boobs and panty shots are the only kind of fan service in anime.

-Andromeda
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
dude. This topic is like 6 months old. Half the people youre responding to probably arent even here anymore.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Andromeda, what is it with you and reviving ancient threads?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11