• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
High School Star Musical (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote

High School Star Musical (TV)

Genres: Music
Theme: School

Plot Summary: Yūta Hoshiya enters Ayana Academy, a school focusing on show business activities, specifically music. The academy has a group of the three students with the highest grades in the musical department, and they are known as the Kao Kai (Cherry Blossom Flower Association). This organization stands at the top of the pecking order within the academy. The shortcut to entering the musical department is to enter the Star Frame class, which is directly taught by the members, and to be recognized by them. Unfortunately, due to their own problems, students Tōru, Kaito, Shō, Shū, and Yūta are all struggling to even remain candidates for the musical department. By a stroke of luck, however, the five are spotted by Kao Kai member Ōtori, and they pique his interest.
----------------------------------

Every season needs some idols. We got some male singers for the Fall season by the look of things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hn-EFUEUyk&feature=youtu.be
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
The picture automatically makes me think of Shounen Hollywood, which is not a vote for confidence.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Yuta gets on the path to his dream coming true.
It wasn't as fun as he thought it would be..
Looks like he's gonna have to put in serious effort.
He was pretty clueless about some obvious things.
Nayuki, on the other hand, was pretty amazing just like the other guys.
Yuta has a lot of catching up to do.]

Gonna give this one more episode before I decide.
Niello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
I was surprised. Originally I decided to watch the first episode on a whim, mainly just to see how awful and ridiculous it is, and it didn't betray my expectation. It's not any less ridiculous than I thought it would be, but more.

The characters are compose of really bland archetypes playing out bland story, and the choreographies and musics are laughable. It was just so ridiculous that it managed to get more laugh out me than the other comedy series this season (considering that OPM is one of them, even if I read the manga before, this is quite significant), and for that reason I came back for a second episode.

The sudden breaks into singing mode still made me laugh so I will probably stick with this until I got bored of that. Even so, the artistry of when they broke out singing is actually rather nice, and it even improved in the second episode. If they keep doing better jobs of it then I might actually stick around for the art.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
I too was surprised. I mean the show is terrible and the characters are super bland, but in a dumb fun kind of way? I found it really enjoyable (and embarrassing). I actually kind of liked their ridiculous improv. The sudden breaks into song gave me a lot of second-hand embarrassment, but the background art of those scenes was actually pretty neat.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Yuta not having it easy..
Tengenji isn't a very tolerating guy.
Their group is gonna need a lot of work.
Characters are easy on the eyes, but the plot is, well, slow.
Dropping this after all.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I get the feeling that the people behind this wanted to do a musical but haven't seen very many musicals. The songs just totally come out of left field with no warning, like they're not familiar with the normal cues that musicals use to signal someone is about to break into song so that it doesn't seem so awkward.

But the Ode to Tavian was priceless. "Why do you hate the angels?" Laughing
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:51 am Reply with quote
I found it really hilarious how Tengenji broke into song when Blue-hair challenged him and when the song was over, Blue was all amazed like "Woah, ok I respect you now" and everyone acted like it was just natural for people to break into song to explain their character traits. I also didn't know if I found it hilarious or disturbing that the dude was singing a love song to his cat.

Show continues to be bafflingly terrible and still amazingly enjoyable. Definitely has that "so bad it's good" sort of quality for me.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Did everyone drop this? Smile

Episode 8

Nothing like turning the underdogs into martyrs to get people to stop liking them.

I think I've finally figured out why the seiyuu group songs always sound so amateurish to me. It's not so much that the actors can't sing as that the arrangements almost never have them harmonizing. They're all just singing the melody together instead of using the different ranges effectively in harmonies. The most creative they ever get is having different singers sing call and response solo lines before they all hit the melody again.

It's a pity because some of these kinds of songs would actually be good songs if produced differently. Are they afraid fangirls would revolt if their favorite didn't get to sing the melody?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Not a bad song this week, and interesting flashback. But whenever Otori calls them "boys," he sounds like he's coming on to them. Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that this series went completely under the radar. The first episode was absolutely embarrassing to watch (in a funny way), but the whole thing actually grew on me with time. They even did a decent job at developing the characters in spite of having a large cast, and their different relationships were actually pretty well done. The tension between Hiragi and Otori, the camraderie between the two teams and how team Otori became friends was surprisingly nicely executed. My only complain is that tspoiler[hey never even clarified if the guys made it through the second round of elimination. We can assume they did, but I found it odd that they didn't say it.] I wonder how this one's gonna sell and how good its chances are for S2, because I'd definitely want to watch that. Rated Good.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought that was funny too, because it felt like they thought that was enough of a hook to have people clamoring for a second season. That and wondering if Otori was ever going to be outed to Yuta as his mystery dancer.

And Toru's inspiring imitation of Otori was hilariously spot on. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1