• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks / Maiden Japan / AEsir Holdings / ADV Films Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
So the Chunibyo CE is out of print according to RightStuf, and yet there's STILL no solicitation of a standard Blu-Ray. Extremely frustrating. I don't even want the bonus stuff, yet it finally came down to a price I was willing to buy it for and now I can't even do that.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I'll be picking up Parasyte Collection 1 on BD for sure. Been waiting to own this series for a while now.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
TRSI listings:

Maiden Japan
- Gunbuster the Movie (DVD) - 95 minutes - $29.98 - 5/17/16 [sub only]
- Gunbuster the Movie (Blu-ray) - 95 minutes - $39.98 - 5/17/16 [sub only]

Sentai Filmworks
- A Little Snow Fairy Sugar: Complete Collection (Sentai Selects) - 650 minutes - $39.98 - 5/3/16
- Akame ga Kill!: Collection 2 (DVD) - 300 minutes - $59.98 - 5/17/16
- Akame ga Kill!: Collection 2 (Blu-ray) - 300 minutes - $69.98 - 5/17/16
- Akame ga Kill!: Collection 2 (Blu-ray / DVD Combo LE) - 300 minutes - $129.98 - 5/17/16
- Azumanga Daioh: Complete Collection (Sentai Selects) - 650 minutes - $49.98 - 5/3/16
- Log Horizon: Season 2, Collection 1 (DVD) - 325 minutes - $59.98 - 5/31/16
- Log Horizon: Season 2, Collection 1 (Blu-ray) - 325 minutes - $69.98 - 5/31/16
- SHIROBAKO: Collection 2 (DVD) - 300 minutes - $49.98 - 5/24/16 [sub only]
- SHIROBAKO: Collection 2 (Blu-ray) - 300 minutes - $59.98 - 5/24/16 [sub only]
- Strawberry Marshmallow (TV): Complete Collection (DVD) - 300 minutes - $49.98 - 5/10/16
- Strawberry Marshmallow (TV): Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 300 minutes - $59.98 - 5/10/16
- The Fruit of Grisaia: Complete Collection (DVD) - 325 minutes - $49.98 - 5/10/16 [sub only]
- The Fruit of Grisaia: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 325 minutes - $59.98 - 5/10/16 [sub only]
- When They Cry - Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai: Complete Collection (DVD) - 600 minutes - $69.98 - 5/31/16 [sub only]
- When They Cry - Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 600 minutes - $89.98 - 5/31/16 [sub only]

Clipped via PR...
Quote:
Title: AZUMANGA DAIOH COMPLETE COLLECTION
Published by: Sentai Selects
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Run Time: 650 min.
Street Date: 5/3/2016
Format: DVD
Language: English & Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $49.98

Title: LITTLE SNOW FAIRY SUGAR COMPLETE COLLECTION
Published by: Sentai Selects
Run Time: 650 min.
Street Date: 5/3/2016
Format: DVD
SRP: $39.98

Title: FRUIT OF GRISAIA SEASON 1
Published by: Sentai Filmworks
Run Time: 325 min.
Street Date: 5/10/2016
Format: DVD, BD
Language: Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $49.98, $59.98

Title: STRAWBERRY MARSHMALLOW TV
Run Time: 300 min.
Street Date: 5/10/2016

Title: AKAME GA KILL COLLECTION 2
Street Date: 5/17/2016
Format: DVD, BD, COMBO
SRP: $59.98, $69.98, $129.98

Title: GUNBUSTER - THE MOVIE
Published by: Maiden Japan
Run Time: 95 min.
Street Date: 5/17/2016
SRP: $29.98, $39.98

Title: SHIROBAKO COLLECTION 2
Street Date: 5/24/2016

Title: LOG HORIZON 2 COLLECTION 1
Run Time: 325 min.
Street Date: 5/31/2016
SRP: $59.98, $69.98

Title: WHEN THEY CRY KAI
Run Time: 600 min.
Street Date: 5/31/2016
SRP: $69.98, $89.98
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I suppose this is a solid slate because it includes a rerelease of Azumanga Daioh, and Log Horizon and Akame ga KILL are popular. I am only getting the second part of Shirobako on BD from this batch.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Both halves of Shirobako now available? Bout time.

*pre-orders*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll consider getting Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai out of fansub guilt even though I really didn't care for how it ended, but I'll wait for the holiday sales.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
Strawberry Marshmallow on BD? That's overkill, the DVD version should be fine, I'm sure. That's one.

As I figured, they took the easy way out with Higurashi. But at least the state of suspension wasn't as drawn out as with Familiar of Zero... or When They Cry. I remember not buying that one because only the first season was licensed and now look where we are. Still in the same rut, just 8 years later.

Only now I can get a dual language first season and a sub only second season? Pass. Stop dubbaiting, Sentai, it's not becoming.

Log Horizon 2? That was a fairly disappointing follow up as the best episode was a stand alone thing featuring no lead characters, just an idea that AI could be a little more than it can be. So, an idea like the first season but only concentrated and not developed; That's the second season in one sentence. It's still amazing they managed to produce over 50 episodes and yet not do anything at the same time.

Depends on the new cast, I guess. If the dub offers up some good possibilities then I'll get it sooner than later.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I'll be picking up Akame Ga Kill LE, but I'm going to hold off on ordering it for now in the hopes that a Sentai sale will come along before then.

Log Horizon was good, but I'm waiting for potential season sets for that series before picking it up.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll be picking up the BD release of Fruit of Grisaia for sure.

Will not be buying Higurashi no Naka Koroni Kai though since I already own the Australian release and since it's sub-only, just like that release, and my trusty multi-region DVD player still works there is absolutely no incentive to rebuy it at all. I don't even think Blu-ray would even be an improvement for this show either. Though if I need to save on shelf space again I might pick up both Higurashi seasons on BD. How disappointing.

Still, it's a great show, I'm glad to see it released here finally, even if it's half of what it deserves. Cool
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Both halves of Shirobako now available? Bout time.

What are you talking about? Sentai is doing a fairly fast release of Shirobako. The first 12 episodes aired between October and December 2014, and they are being released only 14 months after they finished airing.

Same thing with episodes 13-24, which aired between January and March 2015. They are also being released 14 months after finishing airing.

Unless you are willing to pay Japanese prices, waiting 14 months for a dirt cheap physical release is a pretty good deal to me.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I think perhaps you took that far too seriously
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Only now I can get a dual language first season and a sub only second season? Pass. Stop dubbaiting, Sentai, it's not becoming.
Don't forget the sub-only OVA followup, as well! But what should they have done instead? Left the dub out of the first season release for consistency? Spend a bunch of money dubbing an 8-year-old sequel series whose predecessor sold terribly for Geneon back in the day? Go back in time and prevent Geneon from dubbing the first season in the first place -- a step that many who've heard the dub would probably embrace? Not licensed the series at all?
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Don't forget the sub-only OVA followup, as well! But what should they have done instead?

Sentai dubbed the 9-year-old, sub-only Elfen Lied OVA when they released the Blu Ray version in 2014. But, as you said, Higurashi sold FAR worse than EL in America, so I suppose it wasn't worth it to spend the money writing/recording/mixing/editing a dub track; let alone to recruit the original voice actors.

Still, though, I imagine there are dub-only people (like myself) who enjoyed the first season and have longed to continue the series in English. There are plenty of shows that had a dub for the first season release and sub-only subsequent season(s). Hell Girl immediately comes to mind as one that I loved but couldn't continue past season one. Oh well - makes perfect sense from a business standpoint, but it still sucks Crying or Very sad
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Left the dub out of the first season release for consistency?

Sure, that would have been one possibility. I can think of so many better examples of what to do when a series gets a partial dubbing... and Sentai's the only one who'd price the undubbed part higher than the dubbed part which they didn't pay to have dubbed in the first place yet will sell more copies.... Yeah, I'm still sore about Familiar of Zero plus I'm still waiting for Funi's Shana season 3 to get its complete collection. I wanted them to treat Higurashi like it was a popular new acquisition, meaning release part one as a collection and part two as two dubbed sets. Better yet, four half sets with a completely new dub all around. Dubbed shows have more options and outlets than just physical releases these days, they need to get on the bandwagon already.

What else could have been done? Only dub the second in house, sell the entire franchise as a complete collection, include the dub but advertise it as a special feature for the first season only and sell them for the same price; In that case, I wouldn't buy the BD but I could rationalize the DVD with a "Well, they didn't care" or "They don't think too highly of its chances" but the kind of release they choose is just lazy opportunism.

I don't think Higurashi is a bad seller, it was just badly packaged and marketed as throwaway singles by Geneon/Funimation in their last days- after singles died out at that- then a collection that disappeared as soon as Funimation could get rid of it... and even faster from backstock once new copies stopped being produced. On Amazon, even though it still has two more months before release, the first season already has 8 reviews for it.

The audience has confidence in it, I'm just trying to figure out why none of its licensers have the same.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I don't think Higurashi is a bad seller, it was just badly packaged and marketed as throwaway singles by Geneon/Funimation in their last days- after singles died out at that- then a collection that disappeared as soon as Funimation could get rid of it... and even faster from backstock once new copies stopped being produced. On Amazon, even though it still has two more months before release, the first season already has 8 reviews for it.

The audience has confidence in it, I'm just trying to figure out why none of its licensers have the same.
Geneon's singles release in mid-2007 was still well within the lifespan of the singles format. Funimation's paradigm-shifting Aquarion cour-sets release wasn't until early/mid-2008, and even Funi were still releasing singles for shows like xxxHolic and Baccano! into 2008 and 2009. True, Funi's Higurashi sets didn't stay around too long, but we don't know how big or small those print runs were.

But we don't have to speculate on Higurashi's sales: Funi has explicitly confirmed that it didn't sell well. This sub-only Kai release by Sentai, though at a somewhat questionable price, is exactly what Funi predicted what would/should happen with the series, and is likely the only viable way it would've been released here at all. Sentai's tried to learn from ADV's past mistakes in dubbing marginal shows that don't sell enough to recoup the cost of dubbing.

Yes, it's unfortunate that future seasons aren't being dubbed, but realistically, the only outcomes for Kai/Rei/etc. were "sub-only" and "no R1 release at all." As for audience confidence, it seems to be the kind of confidence that says that other people will buy the show. A substantial part of Higurashi's fanbase seems to come from the same R1-industry-hating segment of the population that turned other Geneon titles like Nanoha, Popotan, Rozen Maiden, and Strawberry Marshmallow into overhyped underperformers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 31