• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: When Piracy Becomes Promotion [2006-12-02]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
people try to justify watching a fansub with the fact that its shown on tv therefore meaning it should be free. people forget that, just like them, japanese people have to pay for cable also. my only complaint with the fansub issue is the people thats entire anime collection is cdrs they watch on their divx players. if you watched the show and enjoyed it why not go out and buy the liscenced release? what fun is there in collecting avi files. some people are just that cheap. im guilty of watching a ton of fansubs but I've bought a majority of the ones that I've enjoyed. the same goes with manga scanlations.
giberwitz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
my only complaint with the fansub issue is the people thats entire anime collection is cdrs they watch on their divx players.

I agree with you on that point but I like to believe that that is a small soulless group of people who have most of their shows and movies on divx. Anyone who does that never intended to buy the show anyway and is no friend to the anime industry. True fans show support for their anime of choice.in any industry there are a few ass monkeys who want everything free.
vherub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Good to see an article on this, and I am happy with the length, it doesn't have to be exhaustive or all inclusive because the debate is almost too large to digest in a single sitting.
1. Get the bootlegs off ebay
2. get bootlegs off "legitimate" looking websites.
3. put up the entire first episode or even first two episodes for free- host on youtube if you have to
4. educate on why licensed fansubs can be traded, ala concert bootlegs, if the company wishes them to. And that fansubs can serve as promotional materials for series that have yet to release in that language. BUT also educate that fansubs in no way are a "free' alternative to buying a product and while not a deathblow to the industry, are freeloading off the rest of us.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
Yeah well that $50 is what the Japanese have to pay most of the time.

Hmmm... this is an interesting bit of news. Especially since most of the DVD's I've seen come out of Japan include 4-5 episodes, just like their USA counterparts. That's only in the series that I have checked though. I can't say about the $50 part. Where are you getting your sources?
NinjaUmbreon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:21 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Royal Devil wrote:

Hmmm... this is an interesting bit of news. Especially since most of the DVD's I've seen come out of Japan include 4-5 episodes, just like their USA counterparts. That's only in the series that I have checked though. I can't say about the $50 part. Where are you getting your sources?

I've bought a few Japanese DVD, and some were quit expencies I payed about $43 US pre DVD of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's. Most Japanese DVD tend to be about that price. Although some are cheaper. I paid $30 US or so for Sailor Moon Sailor Star and the disc had 6 episode on them.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:51 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Royal Devil wrote:

Various places. Started with bootleg threads reminding everyone that:

"If the DVD’s which are labeled as being Japanese were in fact from Japan the price would not be anywhere near the going rate of $45-75 for a three disc set. In Japan DVD’s are highly expensive normally going in the range of $45 dollars for one disc. If the price is too good to be true than it most likely is. (IGN Anime General Board)"

Or something along those lines. I just looked deeper. It varies with the series. Generally I find the American releases to be a better deal though sometimes the releases are quite similar.
giberwitz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
vherub wrote:

1. Get the bootlegs off ebay
2. get bootlegs off "legitimate" looking websites.

supportiong bootlegs does hurt the anime industry. they are people who skip the licenseing to make profit, don't support these guys. if you find a 26 ep series on 3 disks, it is a bootleg. none of the money from these things goes to support the industry and your favorite shows. personaly I'd rather people get stuff free than support these f***ers.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
This is basically a history thesis on his idea of how we got to where we are today in the world of anime and manga. Highlighting the old pretentious noble chants of "We are the saviors of anime in the world". Embarrassing to look back on now a days that it is seen for what it really is today, by those with an inkling of common sense, and a conscientious mind not weak to base greed and selfishness. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3